Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Do i need disc brakes?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Do i need disc brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-13, 07:34 PM

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Rowan
It's good to know your real world is based on promotional material published on a website.
Better than any data you've supplied to support your ridiculous claim that a disc fork has to be 3+ lbs heavier than a non-disc fork...
Old 10-14-13, 08:09 PM

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TouringN00b
Surely the crank can be modified, yes?
Not really. The 5-bolt pattern and 110mm BCD mean that you're unlikely to find a small chainring with few than the current 34 teeth.

Your best bet might be to find a 10-speed rear derailleur that will allow a cassette with a 34- or 36-tooth cog. IMHO, that's still not low enough if you're planning to tour with camping gear and plan to tackle hilly routes. If you're fit and you can travel light or pick relatively flat routes, it might be enough.
Old 10-14-13, 10:06 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Not sure what happened to my post, or was it in the other thread? I have two forks, same manufacturer, one touring, one touring/cross with both mounts. The Disc fork is 9 ounces heavier. BB7 calipers are real heavy, plus you need a rotor, and you need a special wheel the spoke rigging angles of which are generally worse, or the rear hub is oddball and heavier.

One thing that might be nicer about a disc would be if the load didn't interfere with it. I normally find some point on tour when the load is in the way of my brake cables, not a big deal, but one more thing about touring bikes that is a bit of a kludge.
Old 10-14-13, 11:02 PM
Crawler

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Rowan
It's good to know your real world is based on promotional material published on a website.

After these recall notices on the Pugsley forks, one wonder if Surly has in fact got the specs right on its other disc forks:

https://surlybikes.com/surlyforkrecall

It would seem that any fork with tapered blades and significant rake seems to be asking for trouble if it has disc brakes mounted to it. The issue really comes down to having a fork that is over-engineered for the additional forces that are applied on the blades that are quite capable of deforming to upset the handling as well as run the risk of breaking.

Have a look at cyclocross bike forks, and you won't see many, if any, with tapered and raked forks. There's a reason for that.

Frankly, now knowing the issues a little more intimately, I wouldn't touch the Straggler fork, and would settle only for a straight-blade unicrown fork with the resultant weight penalty... but not from Surly based on their failure to get it right with the Pugsley forks.

I also understand now the UCI's reluctance to permit disc brakes in road competition until the safety factor has been fully addressed.

Anyway, it seems the OP's eyes have been lured by a cyclocross bike.

The biggest issuse for him now should be fit and how the bike feels when he rides it, along with the gearing. But I suspect they are down the list compared with the lust for disc brakes, carbon fibre, and eyelets.
Welcome to the 21st century there. Please stop the arm-chair engineering.