Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Which Gravel Bike for $2k? Is full carbon worth it?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Which Gravel Bike for $2k? Is full carbon worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-20, 02:50 PM

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3285 Post(s)
Liked 2,122 Times in 1,197 Posts
Originally Posted by kosmo886
Is the design issue strictly a clearance problem in the rear? Does this just limit the size tires you can use? If so, what is the limit on the Carbon? Feels like I probably won’t need to go super wide given I’ll still be mostly road.
Theres a Cannondale Topstone FaceBook group, sign up as there are a bunch of carbon owners who could answer the question of maximum tire size on the carbon version.
Old 06-13-20, 09:35 PM

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by Grasschopper
Topstone is really a poor design decision by Cannondale. Too little clearance and the geometry is just that of the Synapse...so a road bike. If it fits your terrain and riding style it could be fine...I really wanted it when it came out and then I did more research and was disapointed.
I have two friends, husband and wife that bought Topstiones this year and are regretting it. Too twitchy (roadish) and too stiff for real extended gravek riding. C'dale is like some of the other big brands that were late into starting to make gravel bikes and rebranded older road or cross frames as gravel just to jump into the market. Result is a twitchy bike with too little tire clearance and something uncomfortable for more than 45 minutes of hard riding. Look for gen 2 and 3 of their bikes before they start to get it right. C'dale spent more than 30 years trying to make all of their bikes as stiff as possible and now that people want compliance all of their old R&D isn't of much help... The quick solution - Put an expensive suspension fork on it and try and sell that as an advantage! Oh boy,,,

Last edited by dwmckee; 06-13-20 at 09:41 PM.
Old 06-19-20, 01:25 AM

Bikes: TCX & CAAD3 SAECO

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by dwmckee
C'dale is like some of the other big brands that were late into starting to make gravel bikes and rebranded older road or cross frames as gravel just to jump into the market.
You're telling me that the Topstone AL is an old 'cross frame repainted?

Secondly, when are 'cross bikes not gravel bikes?
Old 06-21-20, 07:19 PM

Bikes: 1987 Cannondale SR500

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have two friends, husband and wife that bought Topstiones this year and are regretting it. Too twitchy (roadish) and too stiff for real extended gravek riding. C'dale is like some of the other big brands that were late into starting to make gravel bikes and rebranded older road or cross frames as gravel just to jump into the market. Result is a twitchy bike with too little tire clearance and something uncomfortable for more than 45 minutes of hard riding. Look for gen 2 and 3 of their bikes before they start to get it right. C'dale spent more than 30 years trying to make all of their bikes as stiff as possible and now that people want compliance all of their old R&D isn't of much help... The quick solution - Put an expensive suspension fork on it and try and sell that as an advantage! Oh boy,,,
Are they the carbon Topstone or the AL frame? The AL frame has more tire clearance, no?
Old 06-23-20, 08:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 40 Posts
The Revolt is the best $$$ deal out there on a carbon gravel bike. Damned tough to beat for comfort, compatibility and upgrade-ability.
Old 06-23-20, 11:36 PM
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 11027 Post(s)
Liked 7,575 Times in 4,225 Posts
Are you claiming Cannondale is selling a rebadged CX bike as the Topstone? You mention they are like other brands who readied CX bikes...butnif you aren't saying Cdale did that(they obviously didnt), then why mention Cdale in that comment?

Are you saying the Topstone is uncomfortable after 45min due to it being too twitchy and not having a wide enough tire?...or are you still just generalizing and passively associating the Topstone with those generalizations?

Cdale didn't only ever try to make the stiffest bike. For some applications, yes they did that for sure. So did giant, trek, etc etc.
But for many bikes in their lineup, frame stiffness didn't seem to be a top priority. Thru the years I've ridden a couple of their MTBs and owned a touring bike- none seemed hinderingly stiff, especially not when compared to other category options from the same periods.

from where I sit, you just typed up some reneralizations and tagged Cannondale to the comments.
The gravel category is quite wide- you know this. Some bikes are marketed as pure aggressive race. Some are for long race. Some are adventure. Some are for tackling singletrack.
The geometry will obviously vary between brands and models since it would be dumb to have so many with the same geometry.
What you claim is a lack of experience on Cdale's part as it pertains to tire clearance or twitchy steering, perhaps they designed the exact type of bike they wanted at this time. Perhaps others will want a fast steering bike and aren't interested in massive tire clearance so they see the Topstone as perfect.

Claiming the designers don't know what they are doing is quite bold on your part.
My bike has fast steering compared to many options, but that doesn't mean the designers don't know what they are doing- they specifically designed it that way.

I get what seems like your point- the Scott Addict gravel is apparently their CX frame. That could apply to your generalized comments. Does the Topstone though?...hmm.