Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Threads repair

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Threads repair

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-20, 10:02 PM
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 712 Times in 380 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...these guys offer it as an online repair service for $25 which is pretty cheap), but the mailing costs might kill it for you.
Good info. If I can't turn up a local shop that will do the job (which would be strange for Portland) I might send them a crankarm. French cranks are made of brie...

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 08-26-20, 10:25 PM

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18382 Post(s)
Liked 4,515 Times in 3,355 Posts
Keep an eye open for single crank arms on E-Bay, although it can be harder to find current generation stuff than previous generation stuff.

Cranksets without the spider?
Old 08-27-20, 07:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The threads stripped pretty bad. Chances are not have enough metal for a bigger insert. Even if someone will do the repair that will lessen the strength of the crank. I think the best bet is to shop for new crank..ouch
Old 08-27-20, 07:15 AM
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 883 Times in 528 Posts
This may provide some insight:
Old 08-27-20, 11:04 PM
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26427 Post(s)
Liked 10,384 Times in 7,212 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Wills
Good info. If I can't turn up a local shop that will do the job (which would be strange for Portland) I might send them a crankarm. French cranks are made of brie...
...it's not an exceptionally difficult repair to perform. I do my own, because I bought the stuff when I was seeing a lot of otherwise perfectly good classic cranks get tossed out at the co-op here. Then I convinced them to buy the stuff at the coo-op, where we started (and by we I mean mostly me) doing it as a service to members for the cost of the inserts (not cheap...those threadsert thingies cost like six or eight bucks each one.)

Anyway, all this is by way of saying that if you run into it on a regular basis, it's probably not out of the question to buy yourself a kit.

You do need to remove the crank arm and do it in a vise, with a way to check that you're getting it started off at 90*. I usually just use a carpenter's square. *

For a while, there was even some company making and marketing a helicoil kit, with both LH and RH helicoils. Which is probably a stronger repair, but I've never had one of those sheet metal threadserts fail in use, so it probably does not matter. Don't know if they are still for sale somewhere.

To the OP, this repair doesn't remove a whole lot of material, and if your crank is that expensive, it's worth doing it. Those online guys mention they do SRAM cranks, so I'm guessing they wouldn't if there was much chance of failure.

*it's easier to do the drive side arm from the back, so you can clamp it in the vise with the spider and chainwheels up, not down.

Last edited by 3alarmer; 08-27-20 at 11:07 PM.
Old 08-28-20, 07:54 AM

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 180 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Wills
The Community Cycling Center has pedal taps.
Old 08-28-20, 09:30 PM
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 712 Times in 380 Posts
Originally Posted by aggiegrads
The Community Cycling Center has pedal taps.
I'll be visiting Sellwood Cycle Repair tomorrow. Matt says they have the taps and helicoils but he wants to see the crankarm first. This gives me a little confidence that they'll say "no" if they think it won't work.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..