Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Signing up for 2021 organized bike tour. Yes or No.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Signing up for 2021 organized bike tour. Yes or No.

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-20, 06:06 AM

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18517 Post(s)
Liked 15,844 Times in 7,442 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
The issue isnt so much the bike riding, its all the time off the saddle.
If its a massive event like ragbrai, you have 10,000 to 20,000 people riding each day and passing thru towns. That is a huge amount of human interaction and there is no way to implement social distancing at town stops where there are food vendors, music, beer, kybos, etc. And its even more impossible at overnight towns where the communities open their doors to individuals and teams sleeping in houses and yards, plus the showering, party time, food, etc.

And even on a small tour of 40 crossing a state or region, its a lot of interaction with people outside the tour group.

I'm all for events happening next year if the numbers make sense. Riding a bike is probably the part of an organized tour with the lowest risk though.
‘Zactly. A lot of differences between a one-day event and something like a large, week-long tour.

My frame of reference is Cycle Oregon (four times), with over 2,000 people. Just thinking about all those people using the portable toilets one after another and crowded into the shower trucks would make me uneasy.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 12-24-20, 10:40 AM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 2,320 Times in 1,298 Posts
I am all in for Eroica but it really doesn’t look good. In a small coastal California town that has no medical facilities to speak of and a majority of senior citizens it just doesn’t make sense. Even down here where we have really good facilities and a younger general population I wouldn’t do anything in a large gathering environment. I see group rides now when I am out and about with cyclists drafting close and no masks and it ain’t for me. I adhere to the ten meter rule when cycling and if I see too many people in a group I make every effort to get away. I still ride but I have changed my routine dramatically. As far as booking a tour I would wait , I think it is too early to predict.
Old 12-26-20, 09:15 AM
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Don’t you just love how he makes up stuff? The BF king of “fake news.”
Your sleazy post was noted. You have to know that the way I look at things like that is-----------if I am to be insulted, I have to respect the opinion of the person that produced the insult. So in this case I am not insulted.

Last edited by rydabent; 01-01-21 at 12:24 PM.
Old 12-26-20, 09:19 AM
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
The U.S. government orders for Pfizer and Moderna vaccines call for delivery of 120 million doses (60 million patients) by the end of March, and another 250 million doses (125 million patients) by the end of June. So, it's definitely not going to be "safe" by the end of March.
However in my case since I am 82 and a veteran, I should get my shots well before the end of Mar.

Younger people possible may not get theirs that soon.
Old 12-26-20, 11:57 AM

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 3998 Post(s)
Liked 7,489 Times in 3,013 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
However in my case since I am 82 and a veteran, I should get my shots well before the end of Mar.

Younger people possible may not get theirs that soon.
It's not all about you.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 12-26-20, 12:29 PM
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3759 Post(s)
Liked 5,700 Times in 2,878 Posts
I'll get mine as soon as possible, just human nature. Though you have to wonder about a society that prioritizes we 70 and 80 year old retirees over young folks who have no choice but to go to work and support their families.
Old 12-26-20, 01:11 PM

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 3998 Post(s)
Liked 7,489 Times in 3,013 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
I'll get mine as soon as possible, just human nature. Though you have to wonder about a society that prioritizes we 70 and 80 year old retirees over young folks who have no choice but to go to work and support their families.
People can overcome economic hardships. People rarely recover from death.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 12-26-20, 01:19 PM
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3759 Post(s)
Liked 5,700 Times in 2,878 Posts
^^Good point! Good thing there are folks smarter than me in charge!
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 12-28-20, 07:23 PM
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 4446 Post(s)
Liked 4,106 Times in 2,741 Posts
With two virus vaccines now out, and the prediction that by the end of Mar, anyone that wants it can get it, it seems safe to sign up for most any rides and tours after that date.
That sounds like a really fun projection. I want to know who is projecting it and if they could also project me getting a couple million dollars. I know it won't happen but hey if they can dream so can I. Heck if we are dreaming I want a vaccine that stops the 'rona and also increases my metabolism to back when I was a kid and also makes my muscles 10x stronger and it should be a drink that tastes like Skrewball Peanut Butter Whiskey rather than a shot.
Old 12-28-20, 07:41 PM

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
the prediction that by the end of Mar, anyone that wants it can get it
Yeah, I remember a certain someone making that prediction about Covid testing back when it was extremely hard to get a test. I think it will take a lot longer than about 3 months before anyone who wants it can get it.
Old 12-28-20, 07:50 PM

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
I'm going to be very cautious about participating in any group activity until we get a handle on the pandemic. The only organized ride I participate in I declined to do this year, since it usually attracts some 4,000 riders every year. This year they limited it to several hundred, but even that number was way too high for my comfort. If the pandemic is largely over by next Labor Day (I'm skeptical) I will ride in it in 2021, but we'll have to see where we're at by then. I do ride on occasion with a small group in another town, but we wear masks and practice social distancing.