Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

It's Official, I've Slowed Down!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

It's Official, I've Slowed Down!

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-17, 03:30 PM

Bikes: 2017 Fuji Gran Fondo Classico LTD, Trek 7300 Hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
How slow is slow when we're taking about slowing down? I don't know if I'm slowing down or speeding up, or have a crappy bike that's slowing me up. My current pace is 13.5-14.5 mph on a Trek 7300 hybrid. Bike rides have been 25-30 miles 3 times a week, weather permitting. I have a recumbent indoor bike when the weather is bad, typically do 13-15 miles at 15.5-16 mph on that thing.

I'll be turning 63 next week.
Old 03-30-17, 03:39 PM
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
My phone with cycling apps sits in a bag on my bike so I don't look at it. No bike computer or speedometer. I just ride according to how I feel, occasionally pushing it a little harder on some segments, other times just loafing with head winds, hills and feeling blah conspire to slow me down. I'm a little faster this year than last year, a little faster last year than the year before. That's good enough for me. I don't need to meet or beat my own record on a segment every ride.

Funny thing, I've noticed how I feel doesn't always correspond with speed. A few rides when I felt sluggish I was riding faster than usual. Other rides when I felt energetic I was no faster.

But if I'm miserable during the ride and exhausted afterward rather than energized, I'm doing it wrong. For me. Cycling is like a cup of good strong coffee for me. If it's decaf or old and burnt out, it's not worth drinking.
Old 03-30-17, 07:18 PM

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 201 Posts
Originally Posted by FlashBazbo
I'm not as fast as I used to be, but I'm still fighting it -- .......

But I've been subject to this compulsion for so long that I'm not sure what life will look like as a non-OCD cyclist. (Is there a 12-step program?)
My 12-step program comes in a box labeled "Donuts". Or sometimes it's a smaller box with a 6-step program, chocolate covered and cream filled. They keep me from obsessing over stuff. The miniature ones in bags can work everyday miracles. And then you go riding so you don't have to buy bigger pants, instead of letting ride stats rule your ride. That's my motivation, anyhow. Riding is fun. Good luck.
Old 03-30-17, 11:19 PM

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 827 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
And loving it. I still keep up with the numbers but I'm completely desensitized to the results. Longer touring has trained me to slow down and absorb the ride.

You?
I commute, but I have a target pace I like to shoot for. I don't obsessover itlike I used to. Last year I did try to see how fast I could ride my routes. I managed to save 5 minutes, over a 9 mile route and decided it wasn't worth the lengthed recovery time for 5 minutes gain. That being said, I was pleased at how quickly I recovered from such an extended exertion.