Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

I can't ride standing

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

I can't ride standing

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-12, 09:02 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
An aggressive low and stretched out setup makes standing easier but I'm not strong enough to stand for very long on really steep hills.
Old 06-10-12, 10:33 PM

Bikes: Trek 1200 Felt F3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My standing improved greatly after training with squats,no weight,just high reps
Old 06-10-12, 10:39 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bike56
My standing improved greatly after training with squats,no weight,just high reps
What you're doing is muscle endurance training. It does help.
Old 06-10-12, 11:08 PM
Blissketeer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by surreycrv
so good to see 2 idiots refute an opinion with an absolute "wrong". I suppose if you are so insecure in your own opinions, and of course on the internet, you can make such piss poor reasonings.

Hey, your post was flat wrong in a number of ways. They simply called you out on it with good reasoning and without being petty or personal. No reason for you to get insecure and nasty by making it personal...
Old 06-10-12, 11:24 PM
Still can't climb

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
i find i need to go up 2 gears and sometimes 3 to stand and even then i cant do it for long.

No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack
Old 06-11-12, 12:56 AM

Bikes: 2019 KonaLibre- 2003 Litespeed Vortex -2016 Intense Spider Factory Build -2008 Wilier Mortorolio- Specialized Stumpjumper Hardtail converted to bafang 750 mid drive -1986 Paramount 2014 - --- Pivot Mach 429c

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 12 Posts
I think that this post is like many on this forum. We have different opinions and methods that work for us. No one way is right for all of us as we are all individuals.

I stand up and mash sometimes for to keep speed while attacking the first part of a hill for momentum and speed. Keeping a tall gear and standing tall for as long as I can.before I sit back in the saddle and downshift and spin.

I use it to get up and over rollers

I use it to sprint keeping low and throwing my bike side to side in acceleration.

I use it because my butt is sore and I need a break off my saddle for a short reprieve.

I use it far into a climb because I am tired and want to change muscle groups.

And each time I employed I am sure it is wrong by someone else's standards but it works for me.

I think the OP is on the right track and will eventually find where it works for him
Old 06-11-12, 03:21 AM

Bikes: 2011 Trek 1.2, 2010 Specialized Hardrock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've read that it's supposed to be about 30% harder to stand but for me I find it's more like 300%. Perhaps I need to train more because "stand to take a break and use other muscles" doesn't apply for me, standing just wipes me out faster. Or is my technique all wrong?
Old 06-11-12, 03:34 AM

Bikes: Fuji Cross Comp, BMC SR02, Surly Krampas

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Standing adds variety on longer climbs, for me at least. Over the last year, I have forced myself to stand on climbs, and as a result have greatly increased my ability to do so. I find that having gotten stronger there, I can give myself a break out of the saddle, actually resting the "sit and pedal" muscles. And I'm heavy - probably 30-40 pounds overweight - I can definitely see where weight loss will help with the standing (and a lot of other stuff).
Old 06-11-12, 08:05 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 808cyclist
standing just wipes me out faster. Or is my technique all wrong?
Probably. It was a long time ago but I remember an 'ah-ha' moment when I realized that I'd figured it out.
Keep at it.
Old 06-11-12, 08:11 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You could try standing and then walking the bike up the hill.
Old 06-11-12, 08:14 AM

Bikes: Fuji Cross Comp, BMC SR02, Surly Krampas

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Golfster
You could try standing and then walking the bike up the hill.
No shame in walking when it is time to walk, on long rides (hilly centuries for instance) when you will need your legs for more. But the goal needs to be to finally kick that sucker and blast over it.
Old 06-11-12, 08:17 AM
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 378 Posts
Originally Posted by dwellman
I can't do standing either. Never really got the point.
1) standing on rolling terrain can help you to pop over the top of rollers and carry your momentum.

2) standing can give you the acceleration to attack.

3) standing can keep you riding on a climb that is so steep you can't turn over your lowest gear in the saddle.

4) standing intermittently on long climbs gives you a break, both by recruiting different muscles, and by just a mental change of pace.

If you want to be a more complete cyclist, you should learn how to climb standing.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 06-11-12, 08:19 AM
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 378 Posts
Originally Posted by david58
No shame in walking when it is time to walk,
Heresy.

You need to be near death, or literaly falling over before voluntarily walking.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 06-11-12, 08:57 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 23 Posts
I have found it more difficult standing with my 2011 Giant Defy than on my old (and much heavier) Schwinn Traveler... Guessing it has to do with the different geometry and center-of-gravity.

I recently found myself on a brutal hill on the Giant - about 30 miles into a 50 - pushing the lowest gear, barely able to make revolutions, and wanting desperately to stand, but completely unable to do so... It was my first time on that hill, and if I ever find myself there again, I will definitely be up on the pedals before it gets that steep (or hopefully stronger if I can't stand... I couldn't imagine even being able to stop and unclip).
Old 06-11-12, 09:12 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Everyone has a style of standing that woks for them, I also think that many people that stand get into a mode were they fill like they are sprinting that will zap you fast stand and don't start sprinting just because your standing keep a smooth pedal stroke, I also find some just people just can't stand I know a person like that just like some can not ride with no hands.
Old 06-11-12, 09:18 AM
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by surreycrv
so good to see 2 idiots refute an opinion with an absolute "wrong". I suppose if you are so insecure in your own opinions, and of course on the internet, you can make such piss poor reasonings.
UUuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh! Somebody's feelings are hurt. Should we call an ambulance?
Old 06-11-12, 09:23 AM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
1) standing on rolling terrain can help you to pop over the top of rollers and carry your momentum.

3) standing can keep you riding on a climb that is so steep you can't turn over your lowest gear in the saddle.

4) standing intermittently on long climbs gives you a break, both by recruiting different muscles, and by just a mental change of pace.

If you want to be a more complete cyclist, you should learn how to climb standing.
Yea, this. Standing is a necessary skill for every cyclist, of course. Everyone will generate their own preferences, but you need to be able to do it.
Old 06-11-12, 09:36 AM
Steel80's

Bikes: Breezer Venturi, Breezer Lightning Pro, Schwinn Peloton

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh

This. +1. Sometimes standing up and mashing up a hill, horsing the bars, is what ya gotta do if you run out of gears, or, like me sometimes, you've only GOT one gear. I can't imagine NOT being able to stand up, but I'll spin as much as I can, first.

One of Chris Carmichael's books explains the energy system differences- essentially, when you're spinning up a hill you're using your cardiovascular system more. At low cadence, and standing up, it's more glycolitic and leg muscle. That, and you're using more energy supporting your body out of the saddle.
Old 06-11-12, 09:38 AM

Bikes: 2013 orca

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I seriously youtubed a video awhile back to learn how to efficiently climb, both seated and OTS. small changes in the way you point your feet, your position sitting and standing make a difference and can be alternated to rest and work different muscles. I think its important to be able to do both. I suck at sitting in the saddle and pushing up the hill but I know i need to work at it. I love to stand and have become good at it and can actually get my HR lower up a hill standing than I can sitting...
Old 06-11-12, 09:47 AM
Descends like a rock

Bikes: Scott Foil, Surly Pacer

Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
It also helps give your knees a break if you're prone to knee issues.
Old 06-11-12, 09:50 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Commodus
Yea, this. Standing is a necessary skill for every cyclist, of course. Everyone will generate their own preferences, but you need to be able to do it.
No you don't.
Old 06-11-12, 10:27 AM

Bikes: Trek 1200 Felt F3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DropDeadFred
I seriously youtubed a video awhile back to learn how to efficiently climb, both seated and OTS. small changes in the way you point your feet, your position sitting and standing make a difference and can be alternated to rest and work different muscles. I think its important to be able to do both. I suck at sitting in the saddle and pushing up the hill but I know i need to work at it. I love to stand and have become good at it and can actually get my HR lower up a hill standing than I can sitting...
Lower your HR while standing up hill,cool,I'm going to try that/I love standing on climbs,but have a lot of work to do.there have been some great post on this thread
Old 06-11-12, 11:04 AM
Your Recovery Ride Buddy

Bikes: 2000 Serotta Classique, 1999 Serotta C3S Atlanta, 2004 Kona Jake the Snake, 2009 Kona Paddywagon, 2006 Kona Kula, 1980's Fuji Pursuit TT Fix/SS conversion, 1980's Torpado Super Strada, Bridgestone RB1 Synergy

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Beaker
Often it's good to mix up standing and sitting, but on long climbs, you'll probably sit more of the time. My guess is that you need to get used to using the different muscle groups you recruit when standing on a climb, and also don't wait until you're completely gassed to stand. Keep at it and it'll feel more natural.

Edit:no, it's not just for attacking. It can be really helpful to overcome a steeper portion of a hill, or just to change your muscle groups.
I second this, and add that if you stand more frequently you will be surprised at how quickly you get stronger and more able at it. Part of it is also searching for the right gearing combo...some people like to stand on a climb at rather high cadence and have the bike bouncing back and forth very quickly...others prefer to crank it out. Personally if I'm in the saddle climbing my cadence will be 90-110, but if I stand I'll go up a gear or two and stand at 75-90. Also, keep your eyes focused down the road; it will minimize unnecessary movement. You want to keep your head as still as possible.
Old 06-11-12, 11:12 AM

Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
If you are having trouble climbing while standing: lower your bars or climb in the drops. Your arms should be supporting a significant fraction of your body weight.

If you are having trouble climbing while seated: get lower gears.

In general, while standing, you recruit more muscle groups to bring to bear to the problem; you can get more torque to the rear wheel at the expense of efficiency.

In general, climbing seated at normal cadence 80-100rpm is most efficient.
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter
Old 06-11-12, 11:53 AM
I got 99 problems....

Location: Does anyone know where the love of God goes, when the waves turn the minutes to hours?
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Your comfortable cadence range will be much, much smaller while standing...that means shifting much more often to maintain the correct amount of resistance.

I have about a five stroke total comfortable cadence range while standing. If I get out of that range, I'm screwed in short order, but in that range, I can stay standing for quite a while.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.