Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Dumpster Diving Across America

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Dumpster Diving Across America

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-13, 05:06 PM
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by TiBikeGuy
I don't dumpster dive for food but for consumer products like electrical and electronic products, the occasional bicycle, bags, etc. When a new family moves in, they usually toss out all the electrical items that they don't need. I have picked up fans, cookers, lamps, computers, radios, playstation, kitchen stuff, etc.

Electrical fans are either thrown out when they are not working or when the plastic blades have broken off. So if the motor is burnt, I salvage the other parts to fix on those that are working but with broken blades, rusted cages, or blown fuses. Some items like blenders and coffee makers just needed to be cleaned to be usable again. I found some table lamps that I replaced the bulbs from my recycled stash and it is working.

A laundry shop had recently tossed out 2 huge boxes of unclaimed clothes. They are cleaned and in the clear plastic with the hangers. Kept those that I can wear, gave some away, sold some away and will donate the unsold ones to Salvation Army. Among the tossed items are Emporio Armani jacket,DKNY pants, Columbia rain gear,a few Italian silk ties.

Got a free vacuum which is not sucking, cleaned out the clogged vents and it is as powerful as new. Now, I have more electrical items than I can use, so I sell them after i repaired them.

Found a laptop with cracked LCD display, it is working so I just hooked it up to an external monitor and I used it for more than 3 years. I once picked up a dusty Ortleib waterproof trunk bag that just needed a wash. Sometimes bags are tossed out with hidden treasures in the many pockets. Things like cash, Parker pens, calculators, watches have been found inside.

Some time back, I came across some old furniture that was left by the dump site. Thought of recycling the chest of drawers, so I started to look through the old papers and clothes inside and found dollars in 10's and 50's even a single $1,000 note, some old jewellery ... nice Christmas present.

So you see, one man's trash can be another man's treasure.
That's pretty cool...hope all that money and stuff didn't make you sick.

My son did scavenging with a friend in the guy's truck for several years. They went all over southern Michigan picking stuff. My son really enjoyed it and his cut was a nice supplement to his disability check. For the other guy, he actually made a decent living at it.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 12-23-13, 10:00 PM
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
I'll buy food out of the "Reduced for Quick Sale" bin in the grocery store ... where perishable food is half price or less ... but not out of a dumpster.

And I'll buy things at the Tip Shop. We came home with a wardrobe unit and a couple books the other day.
Old 12-24-13, 12:05 AM
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,544 Times in 1,051 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
That's pretty cool...hope all that money and stuff didn't make you sick.
Probably OK as long as he wasn't so indiscriminate about what he sticks into his mouth to eat as some of the the dumpster diving gourmets.
Old 12-24-13, 02:01 AM

Bikes: Brompton M6R, mountain bikes, Circe Omnis+ tandem

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
I'll buy food out of the "Reduced for Quick Sale" bin in the grocery store ... where perishable food is half price or less ... but not out of a dumpster.
Not even tinned food?
Old 12-24-13, 02:05 AM
In Real Life

Originally Posted by Ekdog
Not even tinned food?
No need.

For one thing, I don't eat a whole lot of tinned food.
Old 12-24-13, 05:24 AM
Sophomoric Member

And I'll buy things at the Tip Shop. We came home with a wardrobe unit and a couple books the other day.
Ok I finally have to ask. What the heck is a tip shop?

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 12-24-13, 05:35 AM
In Real Life

Ok I finally have to ask. What the heck is a tip shop?
In Australia, we have tip shops ... no food, but a whole heap of other stuff.

https://www.resourcetipshop.com/index...urce&Itemid=61
A "tip" is a ... what would you call it ... rubbish heap? landfill site? It's the place where a city puts all their rubbish.

A "tip shop" is a shop where usable stuff has been salvaged from the tip one way or another, and is up for sale, usually at quite reasonable prices, and usually negotiable.

So you might find a section with parts of houses ... old doors, window frames, bricks, etc. Another section might have sporting goods like bicycles, skis, golf clubs, etc. Another section will have furniture like shelves, wardrobes, etc. Then there will be quite a large section of smaller goods ... books, ornaments, electronics, etc. etc.

See the link above ... that's one tip shop in our area.

And here's another one, not too far away:
https://www.morningtonparkwaste.com.au/reuse_shop.htm

Last edited by Machka; 12-24-13 at 05:42 AM.
Old 12-24-13, 05:53 AM
Sophomoric Member

A "tip" is a ... what would you call it ... rubbish heap? landfill site? It's the place where a city puts all their rubbish.

A "tip shop" is a shop where usable stuff has been salvaged from the tip one way or another, and is up for sale, usually at quite reasonable prices, and usually negotiable.

So you might find a section with parts of houses ... old doors, window frames, bricks, etc. Another section might have sporting goods like bicycles, skis, golf clubs, etc. Another section will have furniture like shelves, wardrobes, etc. Then there will be quite a large section of smaller goods ... books, ornaments, electronics, etc. etc.

See the link above ... that's one tip shop in our area.

And here's another one, not too far away:
https://www.morningtonparkwaste.com.au/reuse_shop.htm
That is an intriguing idea. Is it all outdoors, or is there an actual shop building? Does somebody make money from it? Is it basically last chance recycling, after thrift shops and municipal recycling take what they want out of the waste stream?

BTW, what you call a tip used to be called a "dump" in this country. Nowadays it's usually called a land fill.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 12-24-13, 06:16 AM
In Real Life

That is an intriguing idea. Is it all outdoors, or is there an actual shop building? Does somebody make money from it? Is it basically last chance recycling, after thrift shops and municipal recycling take what they want out of the waste stream?

BTW, what you call a tip used to be called a "dump" in this country. Nowadays it's usually called a land fill.

It depends on the tip shop. There used to be a small tip shop where we lived before, and if I recall correctly, it was all outdoors. The two I've been to here have quite large buildings (large sheds) and a fairly large outdoor area.

Here's what they say on the first site:

This is our primary retail outlet for selling reusable and recycled goods. It also serves as a base from where we salvage directly from the tip face (4-5 times each day), sort what is recovered, and accept donations.

We encourage customers and tip users to drop off their reusables before going to the tip face. Please see a Resource worker before leaving your reusables so they can assess what is suitable for resale.

So people have a choice of dropping stuff off at a thrift shop elsewhere in the city unrelated to the tip shop, or taking it up to the tip ... and swinging by the tip shop to see if anything can be salvaged.

And what happens to the money depends ... back to the city for the running of the tip, to charities ... different places do different things.

But of course the whole idea is to reduce the amount of waste going into the tip, and to recycle as much as possible.

You can get some good deals ... they don't charge much for anything, and if there is a sticker price, it's negotiable.

Last edited by Machka; 12-24-13 at 06:22 AM.
Old 12-24-13, 06:41 AM
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
We sort of have a "tip shop", the shop at the top of my road is the office/shop for a small garbage trucking company. He collects things from the trash and puts them in the shop, he also attends auctions and buys the leftovers. Makes very good money at it. He told me one day that the profit from the shop covers the cost of his entire overhead!

Unfortunately much of our trash hauling has been taken over by large contract carriers and everything they pick up goes straight to the tip/landfill/dump and they DO NOT ALLOW any sort of picking, in fact you can be arrested and charged with Criminal Tresspass if you get caught taking anything from the dump.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 12-24-13, 06:50 AM
In Real Life

Rowan would like to pick up a couple bicycles we could use for beach riding. So we've been to both tip shops near us and have had a look. There are lots of bicycles (all used, of course), but we have certain specification ... something that fits (or close to it), something with a frame in decent shape, something with as many workable components as possible, something that isn't too heavy, something that can take wide tires ...

There have been a few which might work, but we haven't decided yet.

I don't know how much these bicycles are going for, but I wouldn't imagine it would be very much.
Old 12-24-13, 03:45 PM
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by wahoonc
We sort of have a "tip shop", the shop at the top of my road is the office/shop for a small garbage trucking company. He collects things from the trash and puts them in the shop, he also attends auctions and buys the leftovers. Makes very good money at it. He told me one day that the profit from the shop covers the cost of his entire overhead!

Unfortunately much of our trash hauling has been taken over by large contract carriers and everything they pick up goes straight to the tip/landfill/dump and they DO NOT ALLOW any sort of picking, in fact you can be arrested and charged with Criminal Tresspass if you get caught taking anything from the dump.

Aaron
That's similar to the situation here. We don't have a dump, we have a landfill. It is huge, and from outside it looks like a grass covered hill, so we don't have to look at our waste. The landfill produces methane, which is burned to produce electricity. There's no way people could climb it to find stuff to sell. What goes into the landfill stays in the landfill....unless it seeps into the groundwater.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 12-24-13, 03:46 PM
Sophomoric Member

It depends on the tip shop. There used to be a small tip shop where we lived before, and if I recall correctly, it was all outdoors. The two I've been to here have quite large buildings (large sheds) and a fairly large outdoor area.

Here's what they say on the first site:

This is our primary retail outlet for selling reusable and recycled goods. It also serves as a base from where we salvage directly from the tip face (4-5 times each day), sort what is recovered, and accept donations.

We encourage customers and tip users to drop off their reusables before going to the tip face. Please see a Resource worker before leaving your reusables so they can assess what is suitable for resale.

So people have a choice of dropping stuff off at a thrift shop elsewhere in the city unrelated to the tip shop, or taking it up to the tip ... and swinging by the tip shop to see if anything can be salvaged.

And what happens to the money depends ... back to the city for the running of the tip, to charities ... different places do different things.

But of course the whole idea is to reduce the amount of waste going into the tip, and to recycle as much as possible.

You can get some good deals ... they don't charge much for anything, and if there is a sticker price, it's negotiable.
Thanks, that's very interesting. I kinda wish we did it that way. Here, you can't take stuff to the tip even if you want to. I put a very large, very nice couch on the curb because it wouldn't fit through our door when we moved. Nobody took it before it got rained on. I had to put a special sticker on it to have the guys haul it away. The sticker cost $35. Even if I had a truck, I could not have hauled it myself.

"Think Outside the Cage"

Last edited by Roody; 12-24-13 at 03:51 PM.
Old 12-24-13, 04:02 PM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts

Our equivalent is the thrift shop. Stuff there is usually donated by people rather than them throwing it away. Goodwill and the Salvation Army operate the biggest chain thrift stores. Just last weekend, I got a Dell computer monitor at the local Goodwill for $15.00. It works fine.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 12-24-13, 04:32 PM

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Artkansas
Our equivalent is the thrift shop. Stuff there is usually donated by people rather than them throwing it away. Goodwill and the Salvation Army operate the biggest chain thrift stores. Just last weekend, I got a Dell computer monitor at the local Goodwill for $15.00. It works fine.
Thrift shops operate here in Australia and Canada as well and they really aren't equivalent to tip shops.

The trouble is, in my experience in both countries, thrift shops seem to have lost their way, and instead of presenting really cheap bargains as they used to, some of their prices have been adjusted upwards so much that they aren't much less than the cheapest retail (read Walmart).

When I went looking for serviceable boots to wear in Vancouver last winter, I was really surprised to find I would have been paying upwards of $30 for pairs with soles falling off. I did persist and found a pair for $25 that were good enough, but still...

The original concept of Goodwill and Salvation Army was the donated furniture and clothing would go on to the poor to help them directly. Somewhere along the line, the concept changed and now it is big business to raise money to pay for the overheads of fat administrators before the cash gets into the hands of the people who need it the most.

To paraphrase a biblical reference, give a needy person a dollar and they will spend it today, give a needy person a chair to sit in, and they will still be using it in a year from now.

I had some stuff that I had in storage in Perth, Western Australia for quite a time (as in over five years). Some of the furniture I had picked up at opportunity shops. I called up one of the Salvos-type places and suggested they might come and pick up some of the stuff. The first questions were along the lines that if it wasn't in pristine shape, they weren't interested. Inevitably, it went into a skip bin (dumpster) because I had no other way of disposing of it. I was really quite annoyed about it.

We found that the op shops out in the country were much, much better value for clothing and other stuff. And in our old town, we knew the money was going directly back into the community. And the poorest members of the community could afford to come in and buy stuff, rather than buy at 75% of retail.

Last edited by Rowan; 12-24-13 at 04:36 PM.
Old 12-24-13, 05:09 PM
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by Rowan
Thrift shops operate here in Australia and Canada as well and they really aren't equivalent to tip shops...

The original concept of Goodwill and Salvation Army was the donated furniture and clothing would go on to the poor to help them directly. Somewhere along the line, the concept changed and now it is big business to raise money to pay for the overheads of fat administrators before the cash gets into the hands of the people who need it the most.
Those are serious allegations. Have formal charges been filed? Where could we learn more, before we make donations?

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 12-24-13, 05:16 PM
In Real Life

Edmonton has something sort of along the lines of a tip shop, where they take larger items like old building materials, furniture and appliances. (Most thrift shops I'm familiar with tend to shy away from the larger items like that).

The one in Edmonton is called ReStore and is associated with Habitat for Humanity.

https://www.habitat.ca/restore-p7376.php
Old 12-24-13, 06:22 PM
Grillparzer

Bikes: Surly Cross Check

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Those are serious allegations. Have formal charges been filed? Where could we learn more, before we make donations?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goodwill_Industries. (Read the "Criticism" paragraph.)

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/john-h...b_1876905.html

https://www.forbes.com/sites/susanada...abled-workers/

I don't think Goodwill is necessarily alone in overpaying executives, I couldn't find it when I Googled, but I remember a similar allegation made about the Thrift Store chain as well.

All of that said though, if you know how to refinish or repair furniture then dumpster diving, yard sales, curb finds, and the second hand stores are good sources for good, solid wood items. I put together two bed rooms and a living room for about $750 after I got out of the Army.
Old 12-24-13, 06:56 PM
In Real Life

We picked up a decent sized solid wood wardrobe at one of the tip shops for $40 the other day. It needs a bit of work, but has a lot of potential.
Old 12-25-13, 01:18 AM
Sophomoric Member

Edmonton has something sort of along the lines of a tip shop, where they take larger items like old building materials, furniture and appliances. (Most thrift shops I'm familiar with tend to shy away from the larger items like that).

The one in Edmonton is called ReStore and is associated with Habitat for Humanity.

https://www.habitat.ca/restore-p7376.php
ReStore is more or less a chain. We have two of them in my area, which is close to 2000 miles from Edmonton.

"Think Outside the Cage"

Last edited by Roody; 12-25-13 at 01:21 AM.
Old 12-25-13, 02:50 AM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
ReStore is more or less a chain. We have two of them in my area, which is close to 2000 miles from Edmonton.
Yeah, there's one in North Little Rock.

My Dad donated an RV to them. He volunteers with them and they had someone who could get the RV going again after sitting for several years. He says he saw it in the ReStore parking lot.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 12-25-13, 06:02 AM
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
I don't think they are chain, Goodwill has become a chain store IMHO, they all look the same. From what I understand the Re-store support the Habitat for Humanity mission (I do too), the proceeds from local stores feed the local mission. However Goodwill and Habitat 4 Humanity both have a 4 star rating with Charity Navigator, they don't rate Salvation Army.

I also agree with Rowan that the pricing in many of them has become a bit exorbitant. We volunteer to work at a thrift store that is run by a church that we attend. I help with the pricing, the money raised goes to a variety of missions, ranging from the local soup kitchen to overseas missions. Things like clothing and kitchen items are priced very low, we usually try to price "collectible" items a bit higher to avoid the people that are looking to make a quick buck on something. We are in the process of setting up an eBay store to help sell some of the more unusual items. One recent donation that has us scratching our heads on the best way to sell it fairly is a complete set of fine china, crystal and sterling silver. Definitely not normal thrift store items. One major issue for many thrift store operations is people will bring in stuff that should have gone to the dump. My criteria has always been, if it isn't good enough for me to wear it isn't good enough for the thrift store. It is a hard judgement call though, everybody has different standards.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 12-25-13, 07:10 AM

Bikes: Brompton M6R, mountain bikes, Circe Omnis+ tandem

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Goodwill exploits disabled workers. They don't even pay minimum wage.

Meanwhile, their CEOs rake in salaries that range from four hundred thousand to over one million dollars per annum.

https://investigations.nbcnews.com/_n...its-legal?lite

Last edited by Ekdog; 12-25-13 at 07:19 AM.
Old 12-25-13, 11:19 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wish I could dumpster dive. But I'm too germ phobic. I live in Houston, and there are too many roaches and rats in the dumpsters here.
Old 12-25-13, 11:36 AM
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1353 Post(s)
Liked 1,249 Times in 626 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuchi
I wish I could dumpster dive. But I'm too germ phobic. I live in Houston, and there are too many roaches and rats in the dumpsters here.
Just wash your hands before you start and you will be OK.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.