Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

The Elusive, for me, 20mph Average

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

The Elusive, for me, 20mph Average

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-12, 12:02 PM

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mattm
Actually, average speed never counts for anything.
Nonsense.

I agree that it's usually a bogus measure, but there ARE circumstances where it matters.
Old 09-30-12, 12:57 PM
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by bikerjp
Of course it does. Not on any given one ride, but when you ride the same course over and over your average has meaning to you. By extension, Strava is built on the idea of comparing averages over the same course. They focus on time, but your time over a given distance is the same thing.
How do you account for wind differences? Power data would be much more meaningful.

Also, Strava is dumb.

Originally Posted by DGlenday
Nonsense.

I agree that it's usually a bogus measure, but there ARE circumstances where it matters.
And what are those circumstances?

All I know is that over in the racing forum, average speed is barely mentioned. It may mean a lot to you guys, but the fast guys don't seem to actually talk about it. At all.

In racing, it's all about who crosses the line first; nobody cares about the average speed it took to get there (except for of course TTs, but even then power is more interesting). And in training for racing, you certainly don't go by average speed. So I really don't find it very useful as a metric.

my race videos
Old 09-30-12, 02:22 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's one of the goals I have, among many, is to do a 20 mile in 1 hour. Honestly... honestly? I bet I could do it, on a good day. We'll see this weekend if I'm feeling well enough. I"m probably going to do intervals in a hilly area all week and hope that it amounts to something tangible this weekend.
Old 09-30-12, 02:47 PM

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
All I know is that over in the racing forum, average speed is barely mentioned. It may mean a lot to you guys, but the fast guys don't seem to actually talk about it. At all.

In racing, it's all about who crosses the line first; nobody cares about the average speed it took to get there (except for of course TTs, but even then power is more interesting). And in training for racing, you certainly don't go by average speed. So I really don't find it very useful as a metric.
Actually you have that backwards I think. Not that they're not the fast guys, they are, but going faster is not the racing goal. Getting across the finish line first is.

For those of us who ARE concerned about going faster, as opposed to out-sprinting the field at the end for example, average speed is meaningful and significant. In fact, it's the most significant metric when the only concern is speed.

That would go for time trials as well. I don't care what the power number is, the winner is the guy with the highest average speed.
Old 09-30-12, 02:50 PM
Beer >> Sanity

Bikes: 2014 Evo DA2, 2010 Caad9-4, 2011 Synapse-4, 2013 CaadX-disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How do you account for wind differences? Power data would be much more meaningful.
I don't. But I'm not trying to make scientific comparisons. Just watching my time over known courses. If you are using a computer to track your rides why not watch this? PM would be nice but expensive and not something I really need.
Old 09-30-12, 03:16 PM
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
lol, you fools are so silly worrying about average anything. ur average can only be average! why not shoot for the starts and hit a special speed!
Old 11-16-12, 11:47 AM

Bikes: 2017 Specilized Roubaix, 2012 Scott CR1 Team, Felt Z85

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Did it today, by myself. no getting sucked into a group ride. Fiesta Island Time Trial course... 20km at 20.5. Probably could have done better but some dog walker lady in a SUV jammed me up good looking for parking. No drops or sprinting. Just fun Im 50 so Im gonna cross this off my list and go back to being a slug and enjoying the scenery.
Old 11-16-12, 02:53 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Also, Strava is dumb.

And what are those circumstances?

They continually use average speed as a measurement for the tdf. Citing recently how it has diminished since th PED generation has somewhat come to an end. I think its foolish to say its not a useful metric. Its just a measurement like anything else watts, overall time, etc...
Old 11-16-12, 04:13 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
For all the PM guys who say ignore everything about speed and distance except power, I'd like to see what they use for ride metrics if they're not owners of a powermeter. (I do agree that the PM is the most superior metric if you do have one, though.)

% spent in HR zone is useful, but is just as susceptible to ride circumstances and conditions as anything else.
Old 11-16-12, 06:35 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As a person who always preached "average speed means nothing", I have to admit that, for the first time in a decade, Strava has me looking at my average speed on one loop that I do. I can do the 22.6 miles (two laps) at 17.8 mph average speed. That's 1,579 feet of climbing total for the 22.6 miles. My goal is to do both laps at an average speed of 20 mph. I honestly don't know if it's doable, and more than 2 mph increase is a pretty huge jump, but I'm going to keep searching for it.
Old 11-16-12, 06:47 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FusionOne
As a person who always preached "average speed means nothing", I have to admit that, for the first time in a decade, Strava has me looking at my average speed on one loop that I do. I can do the 22.6 miles (two laps) at 17.8 mph average speed. That's 1,579 feet of climbing total for the 22.6 miles. My goal is to do both laps at an average speed of 20 mph. I honestly don't know if it's doable, and more than 2 mph increase is a pretty huge jump, but I'm going to keep searching for it.
I don't have a powermeter (I use my trainer as a poor man's powermeter) but I know for sure that even a 0.5mph increase in my average speed on my loop with 2000 ft of climbing over about 45 miles is a BIG deal. Way more than just random variation - I have to REALLY throw down the hammer for the entire 2.5ish hours to get that gain in speed. Sure average speed has its cons, but for me, it's remarkably consistent on this loop that I've done at least 10 times in the past 2 years.

When I did it 4 times in a row, my average speed for it changed by less than 0.2mph for all 4 efforts, despite me really trying to hammer it faster. Before those trials, I was like you, thinking it was a toss-out variable, but when you see such precise datapoints, even with a few stopsigns thrown in there, and different weather conditions, you start realizing it's not as bad as you thought.

I will admit freely though that a few times where I did that loop and caught a fast draft with a pack of riders who were definitely stronger than I was, my average speed bumped up. So if you're drafting , it's def a lot harder to make any sense of the data. (I was getting 0.2-0.3mph gains from big drafts on the downloaded data, which I know exceeds my effort level for gains.)
Old 11-16-12, 11:06 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I havent been cycling for long, so my opinion isn't worth much, but i've always discounted the average speed statistic. Unless you are on a track, it seems dangerous. Especially for people who ride on the streets, and on trails that are shared with pedestrians. Not only that, but it seems like its something that could suck the fun and beauty out of the experience.

I dont want to be tempted to run red lights. Be too impatient to stop to take a picture. Or not want to slow down when I am passing by a family.

I suppose its different for pros or cyclists aspiring to be pro's. I'm just cautious of burning myself out on this great hobby of mine.
Old 11-16-12, 11:14 PM
Beer >> Sanity

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's not dangerous unless you are an idiot. I ride the same routes a lot so it's not a matter of trying to eek out a few seconds on one ride. It's about watching my average over many trials. Sure, make a few lights one day and it looks better than the ride where I missed 'em, but when you have 20 or 30 rides on a course you can start to look at patterns and general trends.

For what it's worth, I'll stop if I want to, ride slower or faster if I want to, enjoy the scenery if I want to, hammer if I want to, chase someone down if I want to (and can), sit up and accept defeat when I can't, etc. Set your own goals and strive to achieve them or don't.
Old 11-16-12, 11:18 PM

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Man I don't know if I'll ever get to 20. Right now I can barely break 13 average on most rides. I've started doing a loop near my office and will try to improve as much as possible, but it's got a couple of pretty big climbs (big to me) and I'm only up to 11.5 mph average. Terrible.
Old 11-16-12, 11:37 PM
Beer >> Sanity

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Two years next week. Here is my first ride.

Old 11-17-12, 03:47 AM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jsutkeepspining
lol, you fools are so silly worrying about average anything. ur average can only be average! why not shoot for the starts and hit a special speed!

... says the guy with the TT outfit ridin' the TT bike
Old 11-17-12, 08:54 AM

Bikes: 2017 Specilized Roubaix, 2012 Scott CR1 Team, Felt Z85

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by HBxRider
I havent been cycling for long, so my opinion isn't worth much, but i've always discounted the average speed statistic. Unless you are on a track, it seems dangerous. Especially for people who ride on the streets, and on trails that are shared with pedestrians. Not only that, but it seems like its something that could suck the fun and beauty out of the experience.
Were lucky in San Diego with Fiesta Island. Although it is open for traffic, its one way and the lane is wide. Plenty of room for a cars/riders and joggers (unless there is a clueless SUV slowing in the middle looking for parking to use the dog beach). There are also no hills (0ft - 24ft). They hold TT races and Tri's there all the time. The scenery off the island is nice but the island itself is a big pile of dirt and tumble weeds The only downside is you can get some wind since is right on the water.I prefer the scenic slower pace of riding up the coast but every few months I like to go to Fiesta and see if my I can push my speed higher. Ive gone 3 times this year (17.5, 19.1 and 20.5mph).

Last edited by Mike F; 11-17-12 at 09:04 AM.
Old 11-17-12, 09:49 AM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94
Man I don't know if I'll ever get to 20. Right now I can barely break 13 average on most rides. I've started doing a loop near my office and will try to improve as much as possible, but it's got a couple of pretty big climbs (big to me) and I'm only up to 11.5 mph average. Terrible.
Flatten out the loops and you'll get a good 1-2mph. Ok, so you're still not really that close to 20, but you're closer.

Averaging 20 on a flat 35mile course is a big difference than averaging it on a hilly course (like 2000ft of climbing in 35 miles) - the downhill gains usually doesn't make up for the lost uphill climb time.
Old 11-17-12, 09:51 AM
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by AdelaaR
... says the guy with the TT outfit ridin' the TT bike
yes but i also race, and when a stage race has a tt its useful to have a tt bike and skinsuit.
Old 11-17-12, 10:15 AM

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by jsutkeepspining
yes but i also race, and when a stage race has a tt its useful to have a tt bike and skinsuit.
His point being, in a time trial (in which you compete apparently), the highest average speed is what wins. So it's ironic for a time trialist to call people fools for wanting to achieve certain average speeds.
Old 11-17-12, 10:44 AM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
His point being, in a time trial (in which you compete apparently), the highest average speed is what wins. So it's ironic for a time trialist to call people fools for wanting to achieve certain average speeds.
Kinda.
At least in this thread the average speed topic has been addressed quite well with enough other factors being mixed into the equation.
There is, in my opinion, nothing wrong with loving to ride and loving to ride hard and loving to have data about oneself like power, or heartrate, or average speed.
It's helpful to post something like a Garmin Connect activity log to be able to put that average speed into someperspective, though.
Old 11-17-12, 12:46 PM

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by hhnngg1
Flatten out the loops and you'll get a good 1-2mph. Ok, so you're still not really that close to 20, but you're closer.

Averaging 20 on a flat 35mile course is a big difference than averaging it on a hilly course (like 2000ft of climbing in 35 miles) - the downhill gains usually doesn't make up for the lost uphill climb time.
lol not possible in my area, finding a flat course that is. Plus I'm trying to get better at climbing.
Old 11-17-12, 01:20 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Don't worry - 2000ft of climbing in <30 miles is the norm for me around here as well. I'm surrounded by mountains.
Old 11-17-12, 10:15 PM

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4408 Post(s)
Liked 3,031 Times in 1,879 Posts
20 MPH average speed is definitely a milestone, and one I may never touch. I've been above 20 on group rides, but my solo record is 19.6 MPH, for about a 20 mile loop. I have a theory that the wind shifted at just the right time on that ride.

I'm 51 now and I started riding at 48. I have a feeling that 10 years ago I could have done much better. The trouble is that as you get older, it gets harder to regain lost fitness from training interruptions, and in the midst of a demanding career, there are lots of those.

So maybe if I were younger I could get noticeably faster. Or if I were retired. As neither is an option, I try to content myself with doing the best I can - with fast solo rides topping out at about 19 when I've got decent fitness.
Old 11-19-12, 05:18 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
when you guys go out and ride and average 20mph, do u guys hit the rollers/trainers first inside the house and then go out and ride or do you guys just go out and not warm up?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.