Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What happened to Gary Klein?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What happened to Gary Klein?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-23, 09:23 AM

Bikes: 1946 Holdsworth Cyclone, 1969 Cinelli SC, 1972 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Merz road bike, 1974 Alex Singer Sportif, 1974 Merz track bike, 1975 Teledyne Titan, 1976 Ritchey road bike, 1977 DiNucci built Merz track bike, 1977 (?) Exxon Graftek, many more!

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 1,432 Times in 175 Posts
Gary is retired and chooses to not interface with the web about bicycles. I tried to stop by to visit him a few years ago, on my way home from Seattle but the timing didn't work out unfortunately.

Gary's parents had a farm/ranch in San Martin California until they moved to Chehalis Washington around 1980. Gary was building the first Klein frames in San Martin. Funny coincidence, they were only about 5 miles from Morgan Hill where Specialized Bicycle ended up! Gary also moved to Chehalis and set up his bike company there. In those days he only made road bike frames. Klein's painter was Gregory Merrick, a friend of mine who lived in Portland Oregon. So Gary would show up in Portland from time to time and I met him. My frame building shop was in Portland and Gary would stop by to visit me. I made some of the early MTB bikes, which Gary saw and was interested in trying. So, he ordered on​e of my frames and I got one of his road frames as an even swap. Here is the build sheet for his first MTB. He still has the Merz I built for him. Gary created a nice little bike factory, with a bunch of local workers who became quite good. I visited him from time to time, and saw him at bike shows. I guess he came up against the lack of capital, and had the wolf at the door one too many times, so decided to sell the company to Trek. Trek kept the Chehalis factory going, and increased the production. Eventually it didn't make sense to have this small factory halfway across the country, so they closed it down. At the same time, I was hired to put together a frame factory in Portland, Kinesis USA. We ended up hiring several production people from Klein, as we were making aluminum bike frames also.

There may be minor errors in my recollections above, my memory is getting rusty. Jim Merz

Old 12-31-23, 12:28 PM

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 835 Post(s)
Liked 2,138 Times in 558 Posts
Originally Posted by scarlson
I've got you beat by two years. Last Friday, I visited Harriet Fell, who made a heat-treated, welded aluminum bike at MIT in 1974! It has wrap-over seatstays and beautiful welds. What a thing. I held it in my hands! I asked her if I could pick it up and she said ok. It is very lightweight!!

You can read the whole aluminum bike lawsuit story here.
Cool that you got to meet Harriet (widow of Sheldon Brown, for those who don’t know) and hold that frame. Harriet was a guest on the Outspoken Podcast, and you can hear her tell the story of the frame in her own words, along with some info about the subsequent Klein-Cannondale lawsuit. Show link:
https://cyclingindependent.com/outspoken-cyclist-561/

The part about the frame begins around the 8:30 minute mark.

NB: Some in this group might enjoy the podcast. There’s a lot of cycling advocacy talk (not always my cup of tea) but also some great interviews with C&V/KOF builders & industry insiders.

Last edited by gaucho777; 12-31-23 at 12:51 PM.
Likes For gaucho777:
Old 12-31-23, 03:25 PM

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,089 Times in 1,182 Posts
There is no question that Gary made the finest aluminum at the time. It is unfortunate that Trek chose to close that shop and I assume a legal issue that he is no longer making bikes, they were just great bikes and as good as anything being made currently. I could certainly see a market for him to be selling aluminum hard tails as well as full suspension mt bikes. I would have gladly purchased a Klein over my Specialized Chisel aluminum HT. I owned 2 Quantum road bikes in the late 80's and 90's, the best bikes I've ever owned.

Last edited by Steve B.; 12-31-23 at 03:46 PM.
Old 12-31-23, 03:45 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 333 Times in 259 Posts
Originally Posted by masi61
I’m sorry, could you clarify what an “AMA” would be?

I get acronym confusion quite a bit. I work in the medical field so when I read “AMA” I think against medical advice…
Not the American medical association!

Last edited by Alan K; 12-31-23 at 08:30 PM.
Old 12-31-23, 03:47 PM

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4413 Post(s)
Liked 1,567 Times in 1,029 Posts
Most of my friends and I had Cannondales in the late '80s. But when one guy decided his Cannondale was too large (it was), he sold it for a Klein frame in a gorgeous dark violet. A beautiful bike. But, in terms of road bikes, the Cannondales really exceeded Klein design wise with the 3.0 and later. But they never looked as good as even a mid-'80s Klein.

Of course, this was the MTB boom, and Klein's designs like the Adroit were radical.
Old 12-31-23, 07:48 PM

Bikes: Motorola Merckx, '72 Paramount, '72 PX-10, CF Hill

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 26 Posts
Never rode a Klein but always admired the one hanging in Jerry's apartment on Seinfeld!
Likes For dphi:
Old 12-31-23, 08:30 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 333 Times in 259 Posts
I still have a Klein road bike - a Quantum Race with all Shimano DA - fairly light, responsive and a beautiful paint job that none of my other bicycles come even close to.

[I had promised my wife recently that I will get rid of some of my bicycles so we can park one more car in the garage, which is very useful in the winter time. But I like all of my bicycles. I can part with 3 recumbents - they are used the least. My wife’s recumbent/comfort bike is barely used and she isn’t going to use it; she is interested in an e-bike so those 3 bikes can go the next spring.]