Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Removed chain pin

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Removed chain pin

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-19, 01:57 PM

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 932 Post(s)
Liked 1,319 Times in 491 Posts
Originally Posted by USAZorro
I've had people who I think should know better try to tell me that it's dangerous to break chains and put the pins back in. I've only had one experience (out of dozens) where the chain was a problem after I did this.
I'm surprised at this post. There's no question that it's dangerous break and then rejoin a modern peened-pin chain by pushing the pin out and back in. It was perfectly fine to do this on earlier non-peened chains that didn't come with master links. I've snapped two chains in my life...both of them peened-pin chains that I snapped due to my having pushed pins out and back in with a chain tool (this was before somebody told me that it wasn't OK to do this).
Old 07-30-19, 03:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by non-fixie
+1. Did it once (successfully), and - unless I become very poor - will not do it again.
*Facepalm* Maintenance newbie here. Just realized now I took the pin out all the way, forgetting my tool won't enable me to easily get it back in. Guess that was time wasted cleaning the chain! How does one tell which one the master link is? I'm assuming its a different color or finish?
Old 07-30-19, 05:20 PM
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1492 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 642 Posts
Originally Posted by davester
I'm surprised at this post. There's no question that it's dangerous break and then rejoin a modern peened-pin chain by pushing the pin out and back in. It was perfectly fine to do this on earlier non-peened chains that didn't come with master links. I've snapped two chains in my life...both of them peened-pin chains that I snapped due to my having pushed pins out and back in with a chain tool (this was before somebody told me that it wasn't OK to do this).
I must have a knack for doing this.
Old 08-01-19, 03:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I must have a knack for doing this.
Well I'm going to give it a shot so let's hope my luck is as good as yours!
Old 08-02-19, 10:25 AM

Bikes: Several, to many to list, mainly vintage British build. From A-Z of brands there are two letters missing, X&Y.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 60 Posts
I've had people who I think should know better try to tell me that it's dangerous to break chains and put the pins back in. I've only had one experience (out of dozens) where the chain was a problem after I did this. That said, mixing and matching between chains that aren't identical is something I would not attempt.
Exactly - one experience too many, as this may be be a triple - first, last and never again
Old 08-02-19, 11:36 AM

Bikes: ‘87 Marinoni SLX Sports Tourer, ‘79 Miyata 912 by Gugificazione

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 256 Posts
Originally Posted by qgottwig
*Facepalm* Maintenance newbie here. Just realized now I took the pin out all the way, forgetting my tool won't enable me to easily get it back in. Guess that was time wasted cleaning the chain! How does one tell which one the master link is? I'm assuming its a different color or finish?
The master link for a derailleur chain has a keyhole shape to one hole on each side:

https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...3&category=276

Theres also the single-speed type master link that uses a third plate. This won’t work with derailleurs.

https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...1&category=276
Old 08-02-19, 12:55 PM
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
I've cut and reassembled a lot of 7/8 speed chains without replacing the pin, never had a problem. Never let the pin come out all the way, but once helped a friend who did so and it wasn't too difficult, using a channel lock plier to push it in (with the inner link in place of course, not to bend the outer plate).