Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

PVC Bike - Anyone tried it?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

PVC Bike - Anyone tried it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-20, 08:47 PM

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by alo
Anyone else wanting to build their own bike, you could make it similar, but using aluminum tubing.
I have a couple of bikes made from aluminum tubes. One was made by some guy named Fuji. The other by some guy named
Raleigh.

OH - Idea for the PVC bike. Have some stickers made that say PVC. A graphic or sign company can do that. Make a head tube badge of some kind.
Old 02-16-20, 09:16 PM

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 724 Posts
I'm impressed, don't ride it when it gets really cold out, that stuff gets brittle in the cold, and the strength of the tubes would have me worried to begin with. Has an interesting look and looks neatly done
Old 02-16-20, 10:34 PM

Bikes: yep

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 18 Posts
Personally, I am not as concerned with the PVC breaking. It certainly can break but only if bent past its point of flexibility and I agree that bitter cold will reduce that point. On a bike though, the stress points are at the joints especially at the head tube and bottom bracket. I did mention earlier I filled the chain and seat stays with epoxy to stiffen them up and I reinforced both the bottom bracket and head tube joints. This was done by heating the tube ends to promote adhesion and then wrapping them in epoxy soaked hemp ribbon. On the initial ride the were some creeks that were unnerving but since then I've about 20 miles in silence. This certainly is no race bike and I doubt that I will ever even try to sprint on it. But it is a good functional, casual bike that will be great for slow and pub rides. It definitely has a peculiar soft feel to the ride and it will take a while to get completely confident of it. Till then I'm glad I experimented with it cause it's kinda cool and unique.
Likes For wltr w8:
Old 02-16-20, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by wltr w8
Personally, I am not as concerned with the PVC breaking. It certainly can break but only if bent past its point of flexibility and I agree that bitter cold will reduce that point. On a bike though, the stress points are at the joints especially at the head tube and bottom bracket. I did mention earlier I filled the chain and seat stays with epoxy to stiffen them up and I reinforced both the bottom bracket and head tube joints. This was done by heating the tube ends to promote adhesion and then wrapping them in epoxy soaked hemp ribbon. On the initial ride the were some creeks that were unnerving but since then I've about 20 miles in silence. This certainly is no race bike and I doubt that I will ever even try to sprint on it. But it is a good functional, casual bike that will be great for slow and pub rides. It definitely has a peculiar soft feel to the ride and it will take a while to get completely confident of it. Till then I'm glad I experimented with it cause it's kinda cool and unique.
It's always nice to ride a bike you built.
Old 02-16-20, 11:07 PM
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 712 Times in 380 Posts
PVC pipe also gets more brittle with age and exposure to ultraviolet light. That's why you bury PVC sprinkler pipe.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 02-17-20, 07:37 AM

You are certainly right. I did not mention but I did paint the entire frame with a matte finish clear coat with a uv blocker. I thought that may help with the degradation but also keep the pipe from marring so easily. Need you guys to remind me in 10 years the bike may be more brittle before I will it to my son.
Old 02-17-20, 07:55 AM
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
I was skeptical (and still am about ability to handle shocks) but the result of the effort IS pretty cool looking. And it holds the OP up without breaking.

Something to show off, if not to ride a Century on.
Old 02-17-20, 09:22 AM

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 180 Posts
Thanks for doing this. It reminded me that I need to check and see that my health insurance and dental plan are up to date.
Old 02-17-20, 02:43 PM
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
Just wondering why you used (white) tape at the joints? Did you you consider using an adhesive for a cleaner look? I have made uniquely shaped PVC plumbing components using E6000. I don't know about the strength compared to layers of tape but it must be at least close.

Dan
Old 02-18-20, 05:46 PM

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by notfred
PVC is slightly stronger than cardboard. your bike will break.
In other words, it's strong enough

Old 02-18-20, 06:17 PM

The joints are actually 3M fiberglass casting tape. Basically it is fiberglass ribbon with water reactive resin. Relatively easy to use. If you look at the drop outs, I did sand them smooth and painted them white. My plan was to do the same with the joints but after I was done I liked the rough look because you could the material. Plus, I saved myself a hell of a lot of sanding. As mentioned earlier, I did reinforce the head tube and bottom bracket underneath the fiberglass tape with hemp soaked in epoxy.
Old 02-19-20, 08:40 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Butted PVC tubing? Double-butted?
Old 02-19-20, 08:59 PM

I do know if that applies here. A picture of the frame assembly and the schematic that I used and slightly modified for this build.
Old 02-19-20, 09:00 PM

The pvc rings I included as hard stops for the fiberglass wraps.
Old 02-20-20, 09:10 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
My advice is to start by figuring out how you are going to make the bottom bracket work with the tools that you have. That way you might not have to do the rest.
Old 02-20-20, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
My advice is to start by figuring out how you are going to make the bottom bracket work with the tools that you have. That way you might not have to do the rest.
You don't normally miss things like this. He's been riding the bike. There are photos.
You're getting more like me.
Old 02-20-20, 11:36 AM

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts
I do know if that applies here. A picture of the frame assembly and the schematic that I used and slightly modified for this build.
Now I'm intriqued! But, being a heavier rider, I'm not real sure this is a path for me. Still might be cool to hang on the wall!
Old 02-20-20, 12:05 PM

Bikes: old clunker

Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
De-evolution at full speed. After so much investment in the development of stiff and light bike frames, certain personality types knowingly turn backwards. Some aspects of human nature hate progress.

Anyone who likes the failure modes of carbon fiber will absolutely love the failure modes of PVC. Invest in a full-face helmet and body armor first, and make sure your dental plan is current.
Old 02-20-20, 01:02 PM

Don't consider myself as one who turns backwards. And there is no comparison between PVC and Carbon fiber. Just an experiment to see what's possible and have a little fun doing so. Lighten up, my plan is not to de-evolution the bike industry. The ride characteristics alone and a healthy respect for crashes limit the use to casual cruising.
Old 02-20-20, 01:05 PM

zjrog, If you would to discuss any part of the bike build, PM me and i'll provide my cell so we can talk about it.
Old 02-20-20, 01:28 PM

Bikes: old clunker

Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
Don't consider myself as one who turns backwards. And there is no comparison between PVC and Carbon fiber. Just an experiment to see what's possible and have a little fun doing so. Lighten up, my plan is not to de-evolution the bike industry. The ride characteristics alone and a healthy respect for crashes limit the use to casual cruising.
It is not the bike industry de-evolving.
Old 02-20-20, 03:25 PM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by 2manybikes
You don't normally miss things like this. He's been riding the bike. There are photos.
You're getting more like me.
wltr w8 doesn't need my advice. My comment was intended for the OP.
Old 02-21-20, 09:20 AM
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts

So we won't be seeing the kit for sale at Ikea?

Mazel tov on this remarkably silly and complicated achievement! The world needs more people like you.

BTW, I think you should put a H on the left side of the handlebar and a C on the right.
Old 02-21-20, 10:06 AM

Touch"e on the H/C suggestion. Had to laugh and am now thinking how to incorporate. Thanks
Old 02-23-20, 06:08 PM

Took a couple of attempts, but I was able to incorporate a kick stand. Did not want to clamp down on the chain stays.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.