Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bottom Bracket spindle loose 1986 Schwinn Prelude

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Bottom Bracket spindle loose 1986 Schwinn Prelude

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-20, 07:53 PM
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
The pressed metal ring mostly just prevents the end of the spindle from dislodging a ball as the spindle is fed through the bottom bracket upon assembly. Would also keep the balls from falling out prior to final assembly.

Once in place, the spindle holds the balls from going anywhere but around in circles.

This is and never was a precision bottom bracket. It is fine for general use for some thousands of miles, but will always have some roughness in turning because of the surface specification. All is fine here, the bearings should have enough pre-load tightness to their adjustment so that some roughness is felt, yet the spindle should still turn easily with greasy fingers. The surface defects will smooth out under loading. I'm not going by the photos here, where the bearings appear to be grease-coated. A magnifying glass is how I assess the condition of clean balls and races for actual pits.
Old 07-17-20, 10:37 PM
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,396 Times in 2,093 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemike73
I was trying to figure out how the bearings would stay in place without the pressed retainer.

i do not see how it would be possible. The spindle is not big enough to push and keep the bearings in place.
If the cup raceway was in good shape and resuable (which it won't be, if the bearings are, indeed, pitted), the process of reinstalling the bearings is to fill the cup channel full of sticky grease and insert the bearings one by one.

The grease should hold them in during the fixed cup installation if you don't whack the installation tool with a hammer (Side note: It's also impossible to do this with an old VAR installer, which would interfere with the bearings). Then you grease up the adjustable cup, grease the spindle and install it, and then hold the spindle against the fixed cup while installing the adjustable cup.

Done.

-Kurt

Old 07-19-20, 05:54 AM

Bikes: 1973 Schwinn Sports Tourer plus a " few" more :)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
Thank you ALL

Especially Dave , Kurt, Sam.....forgive me if I do not mention your name. ALL the responses were / are helpful

I got the pressed rings OUT !!!!!!

Inside cups looked new !!!!!

Took a screwdriver and had my wife hold down the end to get better leverage !!!

BOTH out in under 90 seconds !!!!!!

THANK YOU
THANK YOU !!

Confirmed by at least 5 expert sources ( thank you bike forum) that ....INDEED.......you do NOT need those metal pressed rings !!!!!

Filled with nice Park tool grease
new ball bearings
Installed
Smooth as BUTTER !!!!!!

I cannot express my gratitude enough for all your help.

Thank you for giving me the confidence as well

Stay/be safe riding my friends.....