Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

I got a good deal for an old Rockhopper :)

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

I got a good deal for an old Rockhopper :)

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-21, 07:32 PM

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked 2,255 Times in 1,311 Posts
It's 1990 which is the only year they did that outlined Specialized lettering on the top tube. Also the base model Rockhopper that year came in black and was equipped with M400 stuff.

Congrats on the acquisition- I have a Sport and a Comp from '93.
Likes For Clang:
Old 12-09-21, 07:54 PM
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
That is a great deal! One of my two bikes is a slightly older (late 80s) RockHopper. I got most of a bike for $50 about five years ago. At this point I’ve pretty much rebuilt the bike fron the frame up and it’s a great ride. It even taught the care and feeding of a U-brake, which I hadn’t seen before. Enjoy yours! Here’s a pretty recent shot of mine…

Otto
Likes For ofajen:
Old 12-10-21, 03:54 PM

Bikes: BMC SLR01; Cannondale Trail; Lot's of project and vintage bikes..

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked 168 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by Clang
It's 1990 which is the only year they did that outlined Specialized lettering on the top tube. Also the base model Rockhopper that year came in black and was equipped with M400 stuff.

Congrats on the acquisition- I have a Sport and a Comp from '93.
Interesting! I had no idea about the lettering.
Did the serial was helpful or just for a few details you got the exact year?
Old 12-10-21, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by ofajen
That is a great deal! One of my two bikes is a slightly older (late 80s) RockHopper. I got most of a bike for $50 about five years ago. At this point I’ve pretty much rebuilt the bike fron the frame up and it’s a great ride. It even taught the care and feeding of a U-brake, which I hadn’t seen before. Enjoy yours! Here’s a pretty recent shot of mine…

Otto
Nice bike! 😉
Old 12-10-21, 03:59 PM
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 917 Posts
Is it cleaned up? Can we see?
Old 12-10-21, 04:47 PM
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2440 Post(s)
Liked 3,133 Times in 1,972 Posts
I’m with most of the crew here. Plop a new saddle, pedals if you wish, and cables. Use a gentle polish and the paint will look brand new.

if the bars are Specialized pearl chromoly you can get the rust off easily. Bar keeps friend maybe. Careful with tin foil method on those...ask me how I know...

Check the pads. if the pads are worn, Dia Compe has Cantipads you can get for 8-10 bucks and they are actually very good.

There is a good seller on eBay that has Jagwire kits for around $16-18 if you wish to bling it up a bit.

Then have fun.

I think RSX brifters would work if you go drop bar...if bar ends, lots of options.
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Likes For jdawginsc:
Old 12-10-21, 06:42 PM
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,055 Times in 1,255 Posts
Originally Posted by ofajen
...It even taught the care and feeding of a U-brake, which I hadn’t seen before...

Otto
U brakes take a lot of flack but I went all 'Marquis de Sade' on a DX version for 4 years in deep, salty, winter commuting and it just needed flushing when the the crud froze into every crevice. A few pad adjustments/replacements too.
It also ate a nice RM20 rim in that time, oh well. It. stopped. fine.
Old 12-10-21, 11:06 PM
Cheerfully low end

Originally Posted by clubman
U brakes take a lot of flack but I went all 'Marquis de Sade' on a DX version for 4 years in deep, salty, winter commuting and it just needed flushing when the the crud froze into every crevice. A few pad adjustments/replacements too.
It also ate a nice RM20 rim in that time, oh well. It. stopped. fine.
I’d say they are a tad less convenient than cantis but work fine for road and easy trail riding. I did have mud on the brake cable freeze up once last winter when the ride started above freezing and then went below. Easily freed with water from my bottle.

But overall the brakes just work. In five years and 20+K miles, I’ve only had to pull and lube one of the arms. The other thing is they are more fussy when running SS because if you change gearing, the horizontal dropout means the axle moves the rim closer or farther from the brake pads.

Otto
Old 12-11-21, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by Korina
Is it cleaned up? Can we see?
​​​​​​Nope , i have done nothing at moment.
I'm planning to start by disassembly it soon as first step and then the frame polish. The color reminds me the gun's barrel and i love it. I hope to accomplish the same shiny effect.
Likes For CrowSeph:
Old 12-12-21, 08:22 AM
Cheerfully low end

Originally Posted by CrowSeph
Nice bike! 😉
Thanks! Clearly, I can’t criticize anyone for putting new parts on an old MTB frame!

First I don’t like straight bars at all. Also, I didn’t want the wide Q factor so I swapped in old road cranks.

Ran it first as a drop bar 1x but eventually decided to run SS and then found the drop bars didn’t give enough width, control and climbing leverage, so I switched to the touring bars.

Finally, I like really good tires. I wore out a set of Compass (RH) RTPs but found them hard to deal with so I replaced them first with Contact Speed 26x2.0 and now have a Race King in front and a Speed King in back which is just about perfect for our local trails.

Otto
Likes For ofajen:
Old 12-12-21, 09:19 AM

Today i disassembled.
not a single part was stuck.
Here how appears from the non-drive side with just a bit of soapy water.

Likes For CrowSeph:
Old 12-14-21, 02:28 PM
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Today i disassembled.
not a single part was stuck.
Here how appears from the non-drive side with just a bit of soapy water.
Very nice! I can't quite tell; is it black, or very dark blue?

This has some good tips for shining up your bike:

Old 12-14-21, 04:48 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4n2S7-SC4Q
Yea i was planning the same process as explained in the video. Also that guy made a great dropbar conversion and honestly I love how his bike Turned.
Old 12-14-21, 05:51 PM
Happy banana slug

Yea i was planning the same process as explained in the video. Also that guy made a great dropbar conversion and honestly I love how his bike Turned.
It really did. FYI, he's since converted it back to flat bar and, shockingly, had fun taking it on trails.

Old 12-14-21, 06:08 PM

It really did. FYI, he's since converted it back to flat bar and, shockingly, had fun taking it on trails.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXrirAI3vEA
Yea i saw that video too.
About the flat bar video is interesting because he said a shorter stem will improve the bike handlings since the bike geometry is too long. For me the stock stem will help distributes the body weight and help climbing with the posture but a shorter stem will totally change the bike overall.
Old 12-14-21, 08:12 PM
Happy banana slug

Yea i saw that video too.
About the flat bar video is interesting because he said a shorter stem will improve the bike handlings since the bike geometry is too long. For me the stock stem will help distributes the body weight and help climbing with the posture but a shorter stem will totally change the bike overall.
I think it depends on your proportions; in the early-ish '90s everyone went to a longer top tube for stability going downhill; add a long stem and drops, and you need gorilla arms to ride the thing comfortably. Also, I despise flat bars with a burning hatred; they're great for bombing down hills, what they were designed for, but not for actual riding. I much prefer swept bars for the more natural shoulder/elbow/wrist position. YMMV, of course.
Likes For Korina:
Old 12-14-21, 08:22 PM
Cheerfully low end

I think it depends on your proportions; in the early-ish '90s everyone went to a longer top tube for stability going downhill; add a long stem and drops, and you need gorilla arms to ride the thing comfortably. Also, I despise flat bars with a burning hatred; they're great for bombing down hills, what they were designed for, but not for actual riding. I much prefer swept bars for the more natural shoulder/elbow/wrist position. YMMV, of course.
I’m the same way. I have two straight bars, neither will ever be on one of my bikes. I keep one for extra leverage on hex wrenches like for a stuck garbage disposal. The other is extra, a take off from one of the kids’ bikes that now has sensible touring bars.

I really like the combination of the North Road style touring bar with a 150mm stem. The forward bend is about like the hoods position on a road bike, but the bars come back just behind the steering axis, a great reach for keeping your weight back and maneuvering, hard climbing in the saddle or easy cruising, depending on the need.

Otto
Likes For ofajen:
Old 12-14-21, 08:29 PM
Cheerfully low end

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXrirAI3vEA
I got my RockHopper about five years ago and for the first several years it was a drop bar bike. That was ok, especially with multiple gears and I ran it mostly as a 1x7 with 42 and 12-28.

However, I’m always riding it on one of our local trails and while they are fairly tame, it’s just a happier time for me with my touring bar rig. The brakes are easier to deal with using flat bar levers.

And once you go SS, it’s very nice to have the much more comfortable and useful bar locations for riding out of the saddle. YMMV.

Otto
Likes For ofajen:
Old 12-14-21, 11:37 PM

Swept bar , touring and other bars that let your back more straight definitely are comfy but for me kills all the aesthetic. Meanwhile a riser bar and a dropbar change the look in a better way. A already tried a riser bar but is in aluminum (that bar came up from a folding bike, on that bike i swap with a flat bar for a more low position since the stem can't be lowered, but looks kinda fragile since is very thin and as already mentioned in aluminum too).
i found very nice as aesthetic the bullmoosebar , but as comfort improvement is still the same, but the problem with that bar is that i must add a cable hanger for cantilever, and also adding a 800grams bat seems quite wrong since the bike is already not feather light.
for now I'll clean the original and repaint to make it looks new since i don't think only cleaning the rust spots will leave the bar perfect.
Old 12-16-21, 01:44 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4n2S7-SC4Q
After the polishing i finally can tell is a sort of midnight blue-purple with flakes.

I love it

Old 12-16-21, 02:27 PM
Happy banana slug

After the polishing i finally can tell is a sort of midnight blue-purple with flakes.

I love it

Great googly moogly, that's gorgeous! You lucky dog. I'll enjoy watching you build up this beauty.
Likes For Korina:
Old 12-16-21, 04:56 PM

Great googly moogly, that's gorgeous! You lucky dog. I'll enjoy watching you build up this beauty.
I'm loving this project every second more i spent during the rebuild. But is not perfect as may appear.

The most damaged area is the fork...

Ps. During the crankset clearing ,when I removed the chainring some pieces felt. There was some little spacers on the crankset's bolts. Are those very necessary? May i have lost a few 🤣
Old 12-21-21, 06:19 AM

Bike is nearly completed , i still had to clear the brake calipers and the front mech and restoring the saddle. Everything else is completed and mounted.

I had a few parts standing by , those skewers are definitely not vintage but i like how they fit. I already ordered a few colored crank bolts to add a bit of details there and here.

Also I customized a bag , the logo may not be super precise since is handmade but is another detail that I'm proud.

What do you guys think?
Likes For CrowSeph:
Old 12-21-21, 08:13 AM
buy my bikes

Bikes: my very own customized GUNNAR CrossHairs

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 428 Times in 249 Posts
I'm loving this project every second more i spent during the rebuild. But is not perfect as may appear.

The most damaged area is the fork...

Ps. During the crankset clearing ,when I removed the chainring some pieces felt. There was some little spacers on the crankset's bolts. Are those very necessary? May i have lost a few 🤣
- possibly the previous owner added spacers because the chain ring bolts were not achieving a clamp force when the bolts were tightened. Kind of the fasteners were bottoming out and the bolts were still spinning around.
If you assemble everything, and everything stays tight, and there is no play in the rings, "probably" OK. (consider that free advice on the internets....)

I've received three free RockHoppers (one complete, one frameset, and the latest in a state of disrepair).
The first was all stock - a 60cm top tube with a REALLY long flat stem, just not gonna happen. So I went drop bar and riser stem to start. Then switched to Jones-risers. Very swept back, but pretty good for camping/touring/commuting/kicking around

- the drop bar mod

- approx. current set up with Jones bars

the riser stem was the first comfort mod.

- the freebie, spring project

That dark purple version cracked around the bottom bracket, which is when a friend gifted me his light purple version same size as mine. And I moved the parts over.
Likes For mrv:
Old 12-21-21, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by mrv
- possibly the previous owner added spacers because the chain ring bolts were not achieving a clamp force when the bolts were tightened. Kind of the fasteners were bottoming out and the bolts were still spinning around.
If you assemble everything, and everything stays tight, and there is no play in the rings, "probably" OK. (consider that free advice on the internets....)

I've received three free RockHoppers (one complete, one frameset, and the latest in a state of disrepair).
The first was all stock - a 60cm top tube with a REALLY long flat stem, just not gonna happen. So I went drop bar and riser stem to start. Then switched to Jones-risers. Very swept back, but pretty good for camping/touring/commuting/kicking around

- the drop bar mod

- approx. current set up with Jones bars

the riser stem was the first comfort mod.

- the freebie, spring project

That dark purple version cracked around the bottom bracket, which is when a friend gifted me his light purple version same size as mine. And I moved the parts over.
Very interesting thank you. I found a nice handlebar called surly corner bar it seems to be the only handlebar with the feeling of a dropbar but with the compatibility of a standard mtb's handlebar (you can use mtb's shifters and brakes without any problem). But as another interesting handlebar (the bullmosebar) the price make it out of budget.
Likes For CrowSeph:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.