Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Stingray

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-22, 04:19 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 351 Times in 122 Posts
Originally Posted by Bad Lag
$50 back then was unobtainable.

Only rich kids had Schwinn Sting Rays and there weren't many of those around..
'

Exactly

When they first came out me and my friends could only gawk at them through the local Schwinn bike shop window. Even when we went inside it was only for a quick glance , because the owner would kick us out, knowing none of us would ever have the money to buy one.
Most of the kids in my neighborhood had old hand me down bikes. Either bought used by our parents, or were handed down from older siblings or cousins.
After a few years my little brother got a knock off one for his birthday. I think his was called a "Renegade" . The closest I got was putting high rise bars and a banana seat on my 24" old hand me down.
Old 06-13-22, 10:25 AM

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
When I was 9 1/2 and walked in with my cash to buy a Sting Ray the shop owner insisted he call my home to make sure it was OK.
I let him call and fortunately my Mom said "why are you calling?"
transaction done.