Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on matching make/brand of front and rear tyres?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Thoughts on matching make/brand of front and rear tyres?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-20, 07:11 PM

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,933 Times in 2,558 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
On a serious note, but hopefully not to divert the original question too much. I'm considering putting a 'race' version of a tire in the front for cornering or whatnot, and the endurance version of the same tire in the rear for flat protection. Both would be same brand and tier. Anyone do this? In my case, I'm referencing a Corsa front and Corsa Control in the rear.
Mismatched tires, with inherently mismatched rolling resistance, can lead to wheelbase shrinkage or enlargement. Don't do it.
That's good to know. We can adjust the steering quickness by mis-matching tires. Now thinking back a long ways, I remember hearing that we should put our fastest tire in back for important races; that a slower tire did far less damage speed-wise in front than in back. But now I see the other advantage. That fast rear tire is shrinking your wheelbase, making the bike more agile and able to take advantage of road and race situations.
Old 08-14-20, 08:10 PM
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4741 Post(s)
Liked 1,534 Times in 1,005 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
In your kit?

You'd be doing everyone a favor...
This was a few years ago... but I don't think I looked too bad..

Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 08-14-20, 08:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 7 Posts
One advantage of running the same tire front and rear is that you can rotate them without changing the general character of the ride front or rear.
Likes For DaverSomething:
Old 08-15-20, 08:05 AM
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
On a serious note, but hopefully not to divert the original question too much. I'm considering putting a 'race' version of a tire in the front for cornering or whatnot, and the endurance version of the same tire in the rear for flat protection. Both would be same brand and tier. Anyone do this? In my case, I'm referencing a Corsa front and Corsa Control in the rear.
Might as well go with Corsa Speed up fronts and WTB Byways on the back, then. Different widths of the same tire - ok. But that's as far as it goes. Anything else is basically a sign that you have given up on life. Might as well wear baggy jeans and Crocs with black socks, while you are at it.
Old 08-18-20, 03:25 AM
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
I care a little bit more about the tire than wheels. But I did run on my old schwinn probe a front skinny kenda kwest and a kenda 838 in the back, used that setup on another bike. Sometimes I done it because it was what I had. As to my roadbike; my wheels were stolen during the 15 or so minutes I had stopped at home one day, so a trip to the co-op yielded me a back wheel and two different tires... twp of the few good tires they had with the same tread pattern. A continental and a ah dunno. I had planned on riding them until they wore out. Might have been the first set I found. All the tires were in a big pile on the floor for some reason.
Old 08-18-20, 03:30 AM
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
double post