Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Help Descending

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-21, 10:05 AM

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,989 Times in 1,922 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
I brake on descents. I can't shake the notion that some suicidal squirrel or turkey might choose me as their gateway to the Everlasting. It might not be rational. I don't know that such an encounter at 35 mph would end better than one at 50 mph.
Recently I've encountered a few areas along different riding routes that contain Disgruntled Feathered Creatures. Those areas descend, making 30+ MPH easily achievable. Just as I am breaking 30MPH, a DFC goes for the rear of the neck/upper shoulder. The things try for a chomp midflight every time!
It has not had any impact regarding stability/safety as the surface conditions are fairly decent & it's a secluded route, but for someone "new" in the area, it might have some impact so ymmv. If anything, it increases the adrenaline a hair & helps!

I'd like to say they are Robins, but any DFC flying in the surrounding area are black black/grey & slightly anorexic looking.
Never had that experience along those routes of the many times riding thru the area. Been wanting to ask others that use the routes if they've encountered a DFC. Maybe they like the smell of my shampoo? I think it contains some sorta herbal floral in it, idk, it was on sale.
I've been looking into who of the State to contact to address the matter. So far it's been a continuous round-a-bout.
Old 07-05-21, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Iride01
Don't go any faster than you are comfortable with. Maybe ride with some others that might get you some experience finding the correct line and speed to take curves at while going downhill. But if you don't have confidence, then I'd say don't.

Speed going down a hill doesn't really affect my times or average speed for a ride as much as just being able to put out a more steady and slightly higher, but manageable power for all the ride.

That might be hard to find help with as the greater population tends to be against such goal. So many more freds, karens, & darrens that I tend to wonder how bubble wrapped khaki's don't exist yet.
Old 07-05-21, 10:35 AM
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3446 Post(s)
Liked 3,588 Times in 1,801 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
Recently I've encountered a few areas along different riding routes that contain Disgruntled Feathered Creatures. Those areas descend, making 30+ MPH easily achievable. Just as I am breaking 30MPH, a DFC goes for the rear of the neck/upper shoulder. The things try for a chomp midflight every time!
It has not had any impact regarding stability/safety as the surface conditions are fairly decent & it's a secluded route, but for someone "new" in the area, it might have some impact so ymmv. If anything, it increases the adrenaline a hair & helps!

I'd like to say they are Robins, but any DFC flying in the surrounding area are black black/grey & slightly anorexic looking.
Never had that experience along those routes of the many times riding thru the area. Been wanting to ask others that use the routes if they've encountered a DFC. Maybe they like the smell of my shampoo? I think it contains some sorta herbal floral in it, idk, it was on sale.
I've been looking into who of the State to contact to address the matter. So far it's been a continuous round-a-bout.
Nesting birds will attack you until you’re safely away from their nest.

I got buzzed by a mother eagle once from behind, just missed my helmet with talons deployed.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 07-05-21, 11:06 AM
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10451 Post(s)
Liked 11,944 Times in 6,113 Posts
I agree with finding a descent you can get familiar with and doing it repeatedly. There's one here that I do whenever I climb, it's about 3 miles with 6% gradient. The lanes are wide, the surface is mostly good, most of the turns are sweepers, with only one or two well-marked hairpins. Because it's a TERRIBLE road to climb - too much uphill traffic - almost nobody ever climbs it, which means the cars on the opposite side all STAY on the opposite side, and you don't have to worry about taking up the entire lane. and because it's pretty twisty for a car, you're mostly going about the same speed as cars go, so you don't get them lining up behind you.

Checking my most recent descent, I averaged 27 mph down it, with a max of 32. That's even with my wussy descending, where I actually yell at myself to let off the brakes. One thing I've noticed is that the bike feel unsteady in a turn is almost invariably my own failure to commit, not really putting my weight onto the outside pedal and the inside handlebar, and if I do, the bike stabilizes and I carve the corner. So, descents for me turn out to be a battle with myself.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 07-05-21, 11:09 AM
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1091 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 494 Posts
You didn’t say whether this is on a mountain bike, road, or gravel. Each has different kinds of strategies to go fast.

You mentioned your career. You’ve likely seen some nasty stuff, probably had to clean someone’s brains off your shoes and a myriad of other terrible things. Having seen those things, you’ll never be able to push it as hard as those who don’t regularly see the fragility of humans at speed.

You probably aren’t racing. Finishing a ride a couple minutes later and safer seems pretty worth it. Get really good at climbing.
Old 07-05-21, 11:16 AM

Bikes: Trek Madone, 2012, Trek Kronos CX Ultimate, 2012

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 33 Posts
The best tip I could mention is to look where you are going, not where the scenery is, and not immediately in front of you.

If you are coming up to a left hand turn, get your head and eyes UP, and look at the entire turn, and through it. That gives you time to adjust, anticipate and act, that is, time to be proactive rather than reactive.

If you look twenty feet in front of yourself, you have just that much space to act. If you look 300 feet in front of yourself, you have that much more space, and time, to act.
Old 07-05-21, 11:36 AM
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by afm199
The best tip I could mention is to look where you are going, not where the scenery is, and not immediately in front of you.

If you are coming up to a left hand turn, get your head and eyes UP, and look at the entire turn, and through it. That gives you time to adjust, anticipate and act, that is, time to be proactive rather than reactive.

If you look twenty feet in front of yourself, you have just that much space to act. If you look 300 feet in front of yourself, you have that much more space, and time, to act.
The other thing this helps with is not focusing on that patch of broken pavement you don't want to go through - and because you're focused on it you go right through it. Instead you look ahead and plan your line avoiding, thinking where you want to go instead of where you DON'T want to go.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 07-05-21, 11:51 AM

Bikes: Trek Madone, 2012, Trek Kronos CX Ultimate, 2012

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
The other thing this helps with is not focusing on that patch of broken pavement you don't want to go through - and because you're focused on it you go right through it. Instead you look ahead and plan your line avoiding, thinking where you want to go instead of where you DON'T want to go.
Absolutely. You look where you want to go. If you want to hit that tree, look at it. If you want to hit that pothole, look at it.
Old 07-05-21, 12:07 PM
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Absolutely. You look where you want to go. If you want to hit that tree, look at it. If you want to hit that pothole, look at it.
Though, to be honest, almost every pothole I've ever hit was one I did NOT see.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 07-05-21, 12:55 PM
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts

This.

Whatever target fixation is, I appear to be immune to it. Two times I've wiped out on hills, one was in SF where the street repairs didn't bother to raise the manhole cover back up to the surface of the repaved road. Turns out that it's actually hard to discern the level of a black manhole cover in a blacktop road from higher in the slope going 30+ mph. I flew over the handlebars and somehow actually landed on grass in a crowded city. The other time was when I discovered that whatever it was the state of Massachusetts was using to patch blacktop can cause your wheel to go out sideways from under you at speed. I got some road rash from that. Those patches are actually hard to discern at anything other than a short distance, so I'm not agreeing entirely with this don't watch the road immediately ahead of you. I actually scan between close and distant to be sure I haven't missed anything when I decided my line.
Old 07-05-21, 01:33 PM

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18386 Post(s)
Liked 4,520 Times in 3,359 Posts
I think I was far more daring 40 years ago.

However, I have several "rules" for my riding.

Straight shots with good visibility... I generally just "let it fly".
Switch backs, and I'm creeping.
If I can't see around a corner, I like to really slow down.

Even if one is going down a hill that one is familiar with, conditions change.

And, keep in mind, if it isn't a closed race circuit, you can use one full lane, but you can't cross over into oncoming traffic.
Old 07-05-21, 01:57 PM
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6220 Post(s)
Liked 4,828 Times in 3,330 Posts
While I agree mostly with genejockey , I've had friends that were just the opposite. When I was a teen, one if one of my friends saw some type of hazard in the road, pot hole, bottle, muffler, etc and tried to miss it, then it was pretty much a certainty that he would hit it. This was no matter bike, car or any vehicle he was in control of.

Wonder what ever happened to him.... last I heard he was working for NASA.
Old 07-06-21, 11:58 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
Here, in Northern New England, the downhills are a chance for me to recover. I like to prolong them. When riding my bike with the dynamo hub, longer, above its max charging speed, means more juice back in the battery pack.
Your point about the consequences of a crash answers your question. People also get used to speed and build up a tolerance, especially on a well known descent with good pavement.
Old 07-06-21, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Iride01
While I agree mostly with genejockey , I've had friends that were just the opposite. When I was a teen, one if one of my friends saw some type of hazard in the road, pot hole, bottle, muffler, etc and tried to miss it, then it was pretty much a certainty that he would hit it. This was no matter bike, car or any vehicle he was in control of.

Wonder what ever happened to him.... last I heard he was working for NASA.
tried to not hit it & always ended up hitting it? Impaired depth perception?
Old 07-06-21, 04:52 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I've heard that there are some e-bikes that can break when you descent. I do not know how they are called, but it may help you
Old 07-06-21, 05:12 PM

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1748 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
I can't say what will work for you but these are some things that I consider when descending. Do I have a good line of sight? Do I know the road? What is the racer's line (if there are corners)? And, of course, who is around me? Having said all that, I am still not that interesting in riding "balls to the wall." My fastest descending speed was 53 mph. That was many years ago. I'm not all that hot to repeat it.
Old 07-06-21, 05:13 PM

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1748 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
tried to not hit it & always ended up hitting it? Impaired depth perception?
Target fixation. Look where you want to go.
Old 07-06-21, 05:14 PM

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1098 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
I have numerous descents where I can hit 50 mph. My fastest is 56 mph. Always know your road conditions. Learn how to steer your bike.
Old 07-06-21, 05:21 PM
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by bruce19
Target fixation. Look where you want to go.
THAT'S the term I was trying to remember!!! Don't stare at what you don't want to hit. Look at the path around it.

Old 07-07-21, 05:31 AM
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3164 Post(s)
Liked 1,721 Times in 1,040 Posts
My tip to the OP is to have good quality equipment in good repair; it is confidence inspiring.

That came into sharp focus for me after undertaking a harrowing descent on a low-quality, rental bike. The tires didn’t feel good or grippy, and the brakes required a lot of effort and still did not stop well. Looking at the Strava after the ride, I was surprised at how slow it was, because it felt like I was pushing it to edge. I probably was, and it was just that the bicycle’s capabilities were so low.

Having confidence in your equipment will give you confidence to descend quickly.