Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Maximum Human Torque II

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Maximum Human Torque II

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-23, 08:33 PM
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 518 Posts
Many people claim that small-small combos have higher losses because the chain must bend more; however, I'm not sure of this. What I am sure of is that for the same gear ratio, the same cadence, and the same power level at the crank, chain tension is lower for big-big combos than small-small combos. Power is transferred from crank to rear hub over the tensioned top run of the chain, not the return run.
Likes For RChung:
Old 10-20-23, 05:16 PM
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10505 Post(s)
Liked 12,038 Times in 6,165 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
So, what is it that they like about big rings? Do big rings make their butts look smaller?
They've been suckered by Big Big Ring.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 10-22-23, 10:05 AM
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 518 Posts
To address the original original question about max torque, here is a summary from Kautz's classic data on pedal forces. These data show the mean of (I think) 14 "elite" cyclists' crank torque, collected from an instrumented pedal. This is for a single leg so, roughly, the mean power for these riders was about twice what you see here, or around 380 watts. What you'll see is that max torque is roughly four times the average torque over the pedal stroke for one leg, so max torque is roughly twice average torque for both legs.

Although different riders will ride at different powers and cadences, across other riders this rule of thumb appears to hold as roughly true: max torque during the pedal stroke is around twice average torque. If this holds true for world-class sprinters (I think it might, but I'm not sure) then if you know a world-class sprinter's power and cadence you could calculate what the average torque was, then double it to get max torque.

Speaking of world-class sprinters, here's a link to a video of Francois Pervis winding up for a sprint. Notice the bottom bracket.
Facebook Post " data-width="500" data-show-text="true" data-lazy="true">
Facebook Post " class="fb-xfbml-parse-ignore">Facebook Post
https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1470646453183427

Last edited by RChung; 10-22-23 at 11:05 AM.
Likes For RChung: