Mid-Atlantic Pennsylvania | Maryland | DC | Delaware | West Virginia | Virginia

PA representin' here!

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-11, 11:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
From Pittsburgh, figured I would chime in.
Old 09-05-11, 09:54 AM

Bikes: old Huffy, Newer Mongoose

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pittsburgh here! I ride the Millvale to PNC Park trail alot.
Old 09-20-11, 06:15 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by VoyagerAl
Pittsburgh here! I ride the Millvale to PNC Park trail alot.
I commute on part of that daily.
Old 04-21-12, 08:10 AM
Cool Beans

Bikes: Raleigh Cadent

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Bump
Old 01-02-16, 09:28 AM
Rider who can know more

Bikes: 1995 Trek 850 Mountain Track turned trail and road bike, 1989 Centurion Le Mans RS, 1993 Bianchi Advantage. Dead: 1982 Schwinn Traveler

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Hello all.

My wife and I are recent transplants to Easton PA from Southern CA where it is mostly flat and very urban and now it's very hilly and somewhat urban. Just want to see what the local community is like and open to any advice and suggestions anyone can give.

Thank you.
Old 01-04-16, 08:02 AM

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18449 Post(s)
Liked 15,684 Times in 7,373 Posts
Originally Posted by FelixScout
Hello all.

My wife and I are recent transplants to Easton PA from Southern CA where it is mostly flat and very urban and now it's very hilly and somewhat urban. Just want to see what the local community is like and open to any advice and suggestions anyone can give.

Thank you.
I ride on the NJ side of the river a fair amount. Hunterdon and Warren Counties offer a lot of pretty, rural riding. Hunterdon County is also one of the wealthiest counties in the entire country as measured by median household income. (For the lest several years it has been ranked 4th.) If you stay along the river it's not that hilly. The 13 miles from Philipsburg up to Belvedere is a gem. I ride it a couple of times a year and see maybe 5 moving vehicles. 10 on a busy day. Heading south along the river to Milford is also nice once you get out of Philipsburg/Alpha. Central Bucks Bike Club offers group rides up in that general area. You also have the canal path.

We saw this little guy while riding on Woodglen Rd. in Hunterdon County back in June:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
bear.jpg (68.7 KB, 295 views)
Old 01-06-16, 07:43 AM
Billd76

Bikes: 07 Trek 1000 and 014 Giant Escape

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nottingham PA here
Old 01-07-16, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by billd76
Nottingham PA here
The park there is used a rest stop on White Clay's Savage Century, which is a very nice ride if you have never done it. Starts in Newark, DE and goes through MD and PA. I have done the metric, which excludes the really tough climbs.
Old 01-07-16, 10:20 AM
Billd76

Bikes: 07 Trek 1000 and 014 Giant Escape

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
The park there is used a rest stop on White Clay's Savage Century, which is a very nice ride if you have never done it. Starts in Newark, DE and goes through MD and PA. I have done the metric, which excludes the really tough climbs.
Yes Brenda and I have rode white clay several times, also Fair Hill MD and the C&D canal from Chesapeake City to Delaware city. Never done century ride you are talking about, sounds like a blast though!Never done century ride you are talking about, sounds like a blast though! On the road there are some descent long climbs on Rt 273!! Most of our rides are on the back roads between Little Britain to Susquehanna State park, pinnacle over look then over to Quarryville.

Last edited by billd76; 01-07-16 at 10:26 AM.
Old 01-07-16, 11:29 AM
Rider who can know more

Bikes: 1995 Trek 850 Mountain Track turned trail and road bike, 1989 Centurion Le Mans RS, 1993 Bianchi Advantage. Dead: 1982 Schwinn Traveler

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I ride on the NJ side of the river a fair amount. Hunterdon and Warren Counties offer a lot of pretty, rural riding. Hunterdon County is also one of the wealthiest counties in the entire country as measured by median household income. (For the lest several years it has been ranked 4th.) If you stay along the river it's not that hilly. The 13 miles from Philipsburg up to Belvedere is a gem. I ride it a couple of times a year and see maybe 5 moving vehicles. 10 on a busy day. Heading south along the river to Milford is also nice once you get out of Philipsburg/Alpha. Central Bucks Bike Club offers group rides up in that general area. You also have the canal path.
So are you riding river road or belvidere rd?
Old 01-07-16, 12:13 PM

I don't know what Belvidere Rd. is. I have a 70+ mile route that starts in Frenchtown and goes to Belvidere via Spruce Run S.P. and Washington. It them comes down the river on the NJ side using Foul Rift, S. Foul Rift and River Rd. to P'burg. Then Carpentersville Rd. and down the river to Milford and back to Frenchtown. I also go that way along the river when I do three-day tours from Pt. Jervis, NY to Philly. MR. B - A bike ride in Frenchtown, NJ
Old 01-07-16, 03:34 PM
Rider who can know more

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Well that answered my question anyway so thank you.

Mind if I use this route?
Old 01-11-16, 05:06 PM

Bikes: 1980's Spectrum 10 sp Campagnolo Centaur, 1990 Eddy Merckx 10 sp Campagnolo Centaur, Bushnell Tandem, Co-Motion Speedster Tandem

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 65 Posts
Hello all.

Thank you.
welcome to PA! We live in Lancaster south and west of you about an hour and a half. You can find some great roads I'd you head out west to the Trexlertown area.
Old 01-12-16, 08:45 AM
Rider who can know more

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul J
welcome to PA! We live in Lancaster south and west of you about an hour and a half. You can find some great roads I'd you head out west to the Trexlertown area.
Awesome. Do you have any routes you like in that area?

Also love the Lancaster area.
Old 01-12-16, 09:24 AM

The BCP has been running this as a club ride for decades: MOUNT GRETNA - East Earl, Penna It's best to do it between Memorial Day and Labor Day as the Jigger Shop in Mt. Gretna is only open during that span. There is a pizza place in town that open outside those date, but it's not the same. The club usually runs it the Saturday after Memorial Day. There is little shade after you leave Mt. Gretna and cross back from Lebanon County to Lancaster County so it's best to do the ride before it gets very hot. Mile 20-21 is unpaved, but doable on a road bike. Around mile 22 there are water and bathrooms at the wildlife management place shown on the map. On the way back you pass through Akron where there is a Turkey Hill minimart at mile 60. The Shady Maple Market (closed on Sundays) at the start/finish is quite an interesting place, although a bit less so since it became somewhat "corporate" after being bought. Behind the store there is a large pen containing some llamas.
Old 01-12-16, 11:42 AM
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
If you want to throw an occasional rail trail into your mix, there is a good rail trail system that goes through your area:

Map - Delaware & Lehigh - Delaware & Lehigh

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 01-13-16, 10:53 AM
Rider who can know more

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
The BCP has been running this as a club ride for decades: MOUNT GRETNA - East Earl, Penna It's best to do it between Memorial Day and Labor Day as the Jigger Shop in Mt. Gretna is only open during that span. There is a pizza place in town that open outside those date, but it's not the same. The club usually runs it the Saturday after Memorial Day. There is little shade after you leave Mt. Gretna and cross back from Lebanon County to Lancaster County so it's best to do the ride before it gets very hot. Mile 20-21 is unpaved, but doable on a road bike. Around mile 22 there are water and bathrooms at the wildlife management place shown on the map. On the way back you pass through Akron where there is a Turkey Hill minimart at mile 60. The Shady Maple Market (closed on Sundays) at the start/finish is quite an interesting place, although a bit less so since it became somewhat "corporate" after being bought. Behind the store there is a large pen containing some llamas.
That looks like something to work up to.

If you want to throw an occasional rail trail into your mix, there is a good rail trail system that goes through your area:Map - Delaware & Lehigh - Delaware & Lehigh
I've already started walking this and thinking my old Schwinn with the wider 27" tires should be able to do the unpaved sections.
Old 01-13-16, 11:57 AM

I've already started walking this and thinking my old Schwinn with the wider 27" tires should be able to do the unpaved sections.
The portion through Lehigh Gorge State Park is nice, especially during the foliage season. You can drive to Jim Thorpe, PA and park in the huge lot by the old CNJ train station. From there, you can now ride to the park via a trail. It's about 25 miles to the town of White Haven, where there are places to eat. Better yet, bring a picnic lunch and take it down to the river using one of the short walkways that are signed. For a fee, Blue Mountain Sports will shuttle you up to White Haven and you can ride back to your car. It's ever so slightly up hill to White Haven and down hill the other direction. A couple weekends in October Jim Thorpe has its foliage weekend celebration. The town gets extremely crowded and getting in and out is a pain. I recommend waiting until those weekends have passed. We did this fall and the place was still crowded. I first rode the trail in the early 90s, before it was highly developed. You would hardly see anyone. It's now very popular. Lots of tubers and kayakers in season. Summer can get a bit stinky in the gorge if it's hot and humid and there is no breeze. Fall and spring are the best times. Most of the trail is well maintained with a crushed limestone surface. 32c tires are fine. 28c would probably even work.
Old 01-13-16, 09:59 PM
Rider who can know more

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
The portion through Lehigh Gorge State Park is nice, especially during the foliage season. You can drive to Jim Thorpe, PA and park in the huge lot by the old CNJ train station. From there, you can now ride to the park via a trail. It's about 25 miles to the town of White Haven, where there are places to eat. Better yet, bring a picnic lunch and take it down to the river using one of the short walkways that are signed.
That is quite excellent. And the bike is on 32c-630 which should be OK.
Old 01-14-16, 10:29 AM

Bikes: 1980's Spectrum 10 sp Campagnolo Centaur, 1990 Eddy Merckx 10 sp Campagnolo Centaur, Bushnell Tandem, Co-Motion Speedster Tandem

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 65 Posts

Lancaster County is an amazing area to ride. We live west of Lancaster City and enjoy awesome rural roads with minimal traffic. One of our loops (we ride a tandem) take us up to Mount Gretna which has a significant climb on both North Colbrook Road and Pinch Road. We love the Jigger Shop too Indyfabz. If you haven't found the Velodrome yet it is a great venue Home of The Velodrome - Valley Preferred Cycling Center

You might want to check this shop out to see if they have any cue sheets for rides out west and south of Trexlertown. Bicycle shop in Macungie PA offering finest bikes available

Best of luck!
Old 01-14-16, 12:18 PM
Rider who can know more

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul J
Best of luck!
Thank you!
Old 02-14-16, 09:27 AM

Bikes: 1984 Cannondale road w/ MANY upgrades, 2017 Trek Fx7.5 Hybrid, 1953 Rudge "work-in-progress", a 1956 Hercules "Royal Prince", and an unknown year, unknown frame lot's a fun single-speed!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 58 Posts
Greetings; just checking in to the PA group from the sunny (but not warm) central Susquehanna Valley (Selinsgrove area). It's too cold for me to be pedalin' so I'm here at the BF. So looking forward to spring.... Have a Happy Valentine's Day everyone!
Old 08-23-16, 08:58 PM

Bikes: 2015 Jamis zenith comp

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pittsburgh! A little north actually (Beaver County).
Old 08-26-16, 04:30 AM

Bikes: 2018 Specialized Sirrus, 2016 Surly Disc Trucker, 800 MTB for winter use

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
NW Pa. in the Erie area.
Old 03-18-19, 06:50 PM
Leisure Time Practitioner

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Bucks County, Peace Valley area. Mostly day tours packing along my travel St Croix and Orvis rods for a little fishing at Nockamixon and creeks along the way. I also ride with the Bucks County Bicycle Club during the week.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.