Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why so many Trek Bikes out there?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Why so many Trek Bikes out there?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-19, 12:48 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Though the big OEM factories , like Giant Merida and Maxway, Make many brands.. & have the resources to make separate molds and tooling
for their various customer importers ..
to make the frames look different,, of course the components are made by another collection of factories and if the job lot is big enough ,
they too can offer different designs, as well as rebadgeing them with customer's logos..
Old 02-05-19, 08:57 PM

Bikes: carbon bamboo composite is the best

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 36 Posts
Trek always wrapped themselves in the flag and having Lance on board was the icing on the cake. Still they are/were decent bikes, even if made in Asia.
If there is a manufacturing resurgence in America, you will see more of Trek, not just for patriotic reasons. But they should have a cost advantage.
Old 02-05-19, 09:52 PM

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Cooper CX; 2007 Cannondale F4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by strangdang
I kinda thought more folks would know this, but I’ll have to chime in here. Until you get up to high end handbuilt frames (in my day it was Eisentraut, Hetchins, Strawberry, etc.) they are all the same except for the name. I was in the bike business 50+ years, I was a Fuji rep, a Bianchi rep, a Colnago rep, even a Muddy Fox rep. At any particular price point, all the bikes out there will have minor differences in parts selection and frame geometry, but they will have been built by the same handful of factories in Asia. This cheerleading for any one particular brand is just folks justifying their purchase. No one company has the secret to building a better bike.
All the Colnagos I sold except the steel Master and the lugged and glued carbon bike were made in Taiwan. All the Bianchis I sold except for some steel Reparto Corsa bikes were made in Taiwan. In fact I’ve seen pictures of the Giant assembly line with Pinarellos, Colnagos, Treks, and Giants all hanging there in one place. Most of the big names in bikes are mainly marketing companies, not manufacturers. Specialized is Merida, Fuji is Ideal, Giant is the aforementioned plus a lot more.
It’s just silly to knock one bike over another. It’s best to find a shop that you like dealing with, a geometry that fits you, and a color you like, and buy it, ride it, and don’t concern yourself so much with the name on the frame, or other people’s choices.
My 2007 Cannondale F4's frame was made in Bedford, Pennsylvania, and the 2018 Lynskey was made in Chattanooga, Tennessee. Both purchased new, and both purchases were indeed influenced by their domestic production. I probably won't buy another new Cannondale because they're all made in Asia now.
Old 02-05-19, 10:00 PM
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,720 Times in 2,537 Posts
Moderators note: eja_ bottecchia and greatscott please don't post any more in this thread
Old 02-06-19, 06:40 AM

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18476 Post(s)
Liked 15,757 Times in 7,404 Posts
Originally Posted by General Geoff
My 2007 Cannondale F4's frame was made in Bedford, Pennsylvania,
Camped just down the street while touring across PA in 2013.

Old 02-06-19, 07:41 AM
Randomhead

I thought they auctioned off everything before 2013. I have one of their tubing benders. But I didn't go to the auction.
Old 02-06-19, 08:05 AM

Probably did. I'll bet there is no manufacturing going on there.
Old 02-06-19, 08:19 AM
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6241 Post(s)
Liked 4,252 Times in 2,385 Posts
I kinda thought more folks would know this, but I’ll have to chime in here. Until you get up to high end handbuilt frames (in my day it was Eisentraut, Hetchins, Strawberry, etc.) they are all the same except for the name. I was in the bike business 50+ years, I was a Fuji rep, a Bianchi rep, a Colnago rep, even a Muddy Fox rep. At any particular price point, all the bikes out there will have minor differences in parts selection and frame geometry, but they will have been built by the same handful of factories in Asia. This cheerleading for any one particular brand is just folks justifying their purchase. No one company has the secret to building a better bike.
All the Colnagos I sold except the steel Master and the lugged and glued carbon bike were made in Taiwan. All the Bianchis I sold except for some steel Reparto Corsa bikes were made in Taiwan. In fact I’ve seen pictures of the Giant assembly line with Pinarellos, Colnagos, Treks, and Giants all hanging there in one place. Most of the big names in bikes are mainly marketing companies, not manufacturers. Specialized is Merida, Fuji is Ideal, Giant is the aforementioned plus a lot more.
It’s just silly to knock one bike over another. It’s best to find a shop that you like dealing with, a geometry that fits you, and a color you like, and buy it, ride it, and don’t concern yourself so much with the name on the frame, or other people’s choices.
You statement is too simplistic. There are secrets to building better bikes and some companies are better at innovation than others. A bike isn't "just a bike". Tre and Specialized have very robust research and development wings that come up with "better" bikes all the time. Trek is kind of a leader in carbon fiber and Specialized has been a leader in mountain bikes for a long time. Fuji used to be an innovator but they haven't for a very long time and have fallen into the follower category. Same with Giant.

The bikes that are developed through innovation may be made in foreign factories but that doesn't mean that they are all made using the same cookie cutter.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 02-06-19, 08:21 AM

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Probably did. I'll bet there is no manufacturing going on there.
2 years earlier there was. I'm not exactly sure when Cannondale stopped manufacturing frames in the US but my 2011 T1 frame was the last model year for the Cannondale touring frame to be made in the US.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 02-06-19, 09:48 AM

Bikes: Giant Talon 29 - Specialized Diverge E5 Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by crank_addict
No surprise the Trek factory has the cheat Contador and funny yet, Cordosa his climbing domestique.

I guess no one gives a ratzazz about pro cycling today. Trek is a sellout these days. Mostly Taiwan made bikes.

Same old marketing. Just like they turned a blind eye when Armstrong cheated for years, and when LeMond called them out, they threw him under the bus. Does whatever it can to look like 'real' winners to sell more bikes.

I have a few early steel Treks, a full US made (1984) 760 and a partial US made (1987) 520. Greatly enjoy. A vintage Y foil is on my radar.

Today there's piles of other Asian made, near identical to Treks model lineup and I have zero interest in supporting their business model, regardless of price.
Why.???
Old 02-06-19, 09:53 AM

Bikes: Giant Talon 29 - Specialized Diverge E5 Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
You statement is too simplistic. There are secrets to building better bikes and some companies are better at innovation than others. A bike isn't "just a bike". Tre and Specialized have very robust research and development wings that come up with "better" bikes all the time. Trek is kind of a leader in carbon fiber and Specialized has been a leader in mountain bikes for a long time. Fuji used to be an innovator but they haven't for a very long time and have fallen into the follower category. Same with Giant.

The bikes that are developed through innovation may be made in foreign factories but that doesn't mean that they are all made using the same cookie cutter.
This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ This is what I've been thinking all along.
Old 02-06-19, 12:35 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Ah yes, the Trek and Specialized Kool Aid

Originally Posted by cyccommute

What you refer to as research and development I would call marketing and hype. Most of the actual advancements in tech comes from independent engineers and the Taiwanese factories themselves. The reason all the good carbon bikes are made there is the Taiwanese investment in technology and fabrication.
Old 02-06-19, 12:44 PM

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
What you refer to as research and development I would call marketing and hype. Most of the actual advancements in tech comes from independent engineers and the Taiwanese factories themselves. The reason all the good carbon bikes are made there is the Taiwanese investment in technology and fabrication.
While there may be some cookie cutter "brands" using generic independent frames, the big boys are still doing their own engineering.

If I'm wrong, it should be fairly easy for someone to show me a Trek and a C'dale/Specialized/Scott/Jamis/etc side by side with the exact same geometry.
Old 02-06-19, 01:01 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
While there may be some cookie cutter "brands" using generic independent frames, the big boys are still doing their own engineering.

If I'm wrong, it should be fairly easy for someone to show me a Trek and a C'dale/Specialized/Scott/Jamis/etc side by side with the exact same geometry.
As I said in the first post, no one has the secret to building a better bike. However, the “big boys” as you say generally work up some kinda special shape tubing with the factory, and then sign a proprietary agreement for a certain amount of years that they will be the only company able to market that tubing. Then they get the marketing boys to figure out some BS about why it has an advantage over some other shaped tube. However shared geometry is very common. The fads come and go,
And yes, a lot of bikes are very similar, before I became a rep and worked in a shop we used to try and guess which factory manufactured a certain bike by how it was made. Some were almost identical, others have cosmetic changes to brand them.
Old 02-06-19, 01:05 PM

I think what this thread needs is a photo of my anti-Trek. Thoughts?
Old 02-06-19, 01:10 PM

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Not until you get new pics that better represent the color
Old 02-06-19, 01:17 PM

Bikes: 2017 Lynskey Sportive Disc, 2021 Lynskey Pro29, 1977 Schwinn Super LeTour 12.2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 29 Posts
I rarely see Trek at all, which is weird, because they have a store in Redmond, two towns over. I see a crapload of Specialized here on the East side of Puget sound. Mix of super-high-end carbon and a lot of really practical-for-the-area AWOL-style stuff. In Seattle proper, I see a lot of Surly/Soma/Salsa steel and a lot of vintage.
Old 02-06-19, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by cormacf
I see a crapload of Specialized here on the East side of Puget sound.
Same in Philly. Specialized is the new Trek.
Old 02-06-19, 01:33 PM
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 942 Times in 504 Posts
Even if all the bike store brands were the same and built in the same factories I still wouldn't want a Trek!
Old 02-06-19, 01:34 PM

Quoted: 1583 Post(s)
Liked 1,210 Times in 613 Posts
Please post it again! Two reasons:

1. I never tire of seeing that bike, even the same pic.
2. This thread is otherwise absolutely pointless, so why not?
Old 02-06-19, 01:37 PM
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 942 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by badger1
Please post it again! Two reasons:

1. I never tire of seeing that bike, even the same pic.
2. This thread is otherwise absolutely pointless, so why not?
Agreed. Indy's bike is worth 10, maybe 20 everyday Treks.
Old 02-06-19, 01:43 PM

Quoted: 1583 Post(s)
Liked 1,210 Times in 613 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
Agreed. Indy's bike is worth 10, maybe 20 everyday Treks.
Pot stirrer!
Old 02-06-19, 01:59 PM
Randomhead

My favored lbs was a trek dealer. They were one of the bigger dealers. Then Trek started telling them that they were going to pull the dealership if they didn't convert to being a Trek concept store. When the owner found out Trek was down the street considering buying another shop, he dropped them. Sold off all his Trek inventory through another Trek dealer in another town halfway across the state. So there hasn't been a Trek sold in town for a couple of years. The closest Trek dealership also sells lawnmowers. Don't guess they sell too many Madones.
Old 02-06-19, 03:25 PM

Bikes: carbon bamboo composite is the best

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 36 Posts
Is Specialized American? I always thought they were Japanese/Taiwanese.
Old 02-06-19, 03:40 PM

Let’s give some credit where credit is do. While there may be some development done in Taiwan, Trek has done a lot of in-house research, design and even manufacturing on carbon fiber over the last 20+ years. Specialized does a lot of design work for their bikes in the US. Taiwan may have done a lot of investment in how to fabricate but they haven’t done everything.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.