Search
Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

3D printed parts

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-23, 11:34 AM

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,047 Posts
Nice work so far...

I am still surprised that there is not a 3D Printer specific area on our forum. Seeking bicycle specific .stl files and their links to them is tedious...

Please keep posting!
Old 05-09-23, 12:08 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Ihar
What you suggest will be effective in replicating copies. Then the manufacture of the matrix will be beneficial. But with single options, the lamination option is acceptable. Did similar. This is how they do it in aviation. Can I ask you for files of aerobars and armrests? If I do, I will show the result. Thanks!

What weave / schedule are you going to use? What Resin? How do you plan to apply pressure during curing? Where will you mount your hardware to attach it to the basebar? What material will that be made out of? How will you bond it to your extension? How will you safety test what you create before riding it?
Old 05-09-23, 12:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Morelock
What weave / schedule are you going to use? What Resin? How do you plan to apply pressure during curing? Where will you mount your hardware to attach it to the basebar? What material will that be made out of? How will you bond it to your extension? How will you safety test what you create before riding it?
I will 3D print a aerobar - this will be the base. Next, I will make patterns, cut blanks from carbon fabric. 5 layers, maybe more. (200-240 density). Each layer has a different direction of weaving. Next, with the help of fixing glue, I will fix each layer. Then I saturate it with plenty of low viscosity epoxy. Next, I place the sacrificial fabric and the absorbent layer (to absorb excess resin). Then I place the whole workpiece in a vacuum bag. Drying at +40. All. You can do a vacuum infusion, then instead of an absorbent layer, you need a wire mesh. I will not conduct tests, since the strength of carbon fiber is known from the density and number of layers. Putting excess strength is not a problem. There is nothing new in this method. Aviation themed channels talk a lot about this.
Likes For Ihar:
Old 05-09-23, 12:33 PM

Sounds good. Honestly, creating a bar .stl file is probably simpler than anything you mentioned. Should be easy, and since you're not testing it... it's on you to do that too. Good luck.
Old 05-09-23, 12:45 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sounds good. Honestly, creating a bar .stl file is probably simpler than anything you mentioned. Should be easy, and since you're not testing it... it's on you to do that too. Good luck.
Thank you But I'm new to 3D design. Can I get files from you? And also can I get possible help, for example, with model adjustment?
Old 05-09-23, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Ihar
Thank you But I'm new to 3D design. Can I get files from you? And also can I get possible help, for example, with model adjustment?
No, for the reasons I posted above. My suggestion is to start with what you're planning using a pre-existing extension that fits close and then fabricating your fairing around it... that will be a lot safer than what you have posted/planned here as it will already be structurally sound.
Aviation and Cycling both use composite fabrication, but they are non 1-1. I strongly suggest researching safety testing on composites, even if only garage/rudimentary.
Old 05-09-23, 01:00 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
No, for the reasons I posted above. My suggestion is to start with what you're planning using a pre-existing extension that fits close and then fabricating your fairing around it... that will be a lot safer than what you have posted/planned here as it will already be structurally sound.
Aviation and Cycling both use composite fabrication, but they are non 1-1. I strongly suggest researching safety testing on composites, even if only garage/rudimentary.
OK. Do not give the file - it's up to you. As for the rest, you go into controversy and, as I understand it, you are not familiar with composites, their strength and manufacturing methods. Therefore, allow me, as an experienced person in composites, to recommend that you study this issue before giving such recommendations to someone. In the aircraft industry, a mistake is fraught with life! What is your first post about? I have files, but I won't give them? I wanted to propose a collaboration: your experience in modeling and my experience with composites. But you decided to take responsibility for the whole world. good luck with that)
Old 05-09-23, 01:10 PM

Feel free to share your own creations with the forum. So far in your 5 posts on this forum you've only managed to ask for something, then become angry when it wasn't handed out and started throwing insults.
Old 05-10-23, 09:25 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feel free to share your own creations with the forum. So far in your 5 posts on this forum you've only managed to ask for something, then become angry when it wasn't handed out and started throwing insults.
Am I angry?))) Stop!!! I have been very consistent. In these five posts, I have given a professional algorithm for making a carbon airbar. Have you googled, studied, decided something? No! You hastened to chastise me on a topic that you do not know at all (this can be seen from the messages of other members of the forum). And this is ignorance! Here's what I reacted to. The fact that you do not want to give the file (is there such a thing?) is your right and business. But to take the place of God and be responsible for people's lives is presumptuous! As I said, from your file I would print out and make a bar from composites, according to my calculations (there is such a science). And I would be responsible for my product and my life. But without the file, what should I experience? Should I make my own layout? Yes I can! But why did you create this thread???
Old 05-10-23, 09:59 AM
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
If you ask someone for files and they say they wouldn't be safe, it seems prudent to listen to them. I might start deleting posts if people can't stop this line of discussion on their own.

There is an ongoing thread in the electronics subforum for 3d printed parts, seems like a good place for posts or threads about 3d printed parts. I haven't seen a lot of discussion of 3d printed bike parts other than that, so it doesn't seem like there is any evidence we need a place for thread about 3d printing. I follow a bike specific 3d printing group on facebook, and there is a post every month probably.

Last edited by unterhausen; 05-10-23 at 10:03 AM.
Old 05-10-23, 10:05 AM

Bikes: 1938 claud butler,1983 Basso,teledyne titan,teocali super,nrs,1993 stumpjumper fsr,Paramountain,Paramount Buell(sold),4 banger,Zaskar LE,Colnago Master Ibex MTB,1987ish,.etc....

Quoted: 804 Post(s)
Liked 2,986 Times in 1,499 Posts
interested in a 1 1/8" threadless oval slanted stem cap.do have the org. if needed for specs.