Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Road to 1st Metric Century: Nutrition Question

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Road to 1st Metric Century: Nutrition Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-17, 01:24 AM

Bikes: 8 ss bikes, 1 5-speed touring bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Spartan420
I have been biking for about 4 weeks now.

Sat, I did my longest ride of 43 miles in 2.5 hours. (I ride solo). My typical ride is 21-25 miles x2 a week. ( I also swim and run)

I am shooting for 100km weekend after next at a biking event.

Towards the end of that long ride, when I stopped pedaling my legs hurt really bad. Almost like a cramp, but just pain. After the ride was really bad. I havd to keep walking cause the pain was so bad.

Prior to the ride I ate a serving of oatmeal. During the ride I had one gel and water throughout. Should I have had more nutrition?

After I drank a poweraid, the pain went away. My legs were not sore after the ride, either.

Hopefully, I am on the right path to my first 100 mile ride in July. I just need to get nutrition in order. I ride the bike to burn calories, so taking in calories while riding is counter intuitive to me.

Thanks
you may have built up lactic acid in your quadriceps.

happend to me a long time ago, big time, when i lived in Boston. i borrowed a female friend's expensive bike, and rode it to Walden Pond from Harvard Square and back. my, oh my, did my quads hurt for the last 10 miles. almost unbearable. i was not really a cyclist and just over did it. afterwards, the pain was made less severe by a little bit of movement, like pacing around and the occasional expletive.

apropos of nutrition during ride...

i did about 40 miles on my SS today, with more than a bit of climbing, on one breakfast sandwich (aka
sausage and egg mcmuffin), cup of coffee with sugar, and lots of water. and it was very hot too. but i have to admit, i was experiencing an incipient bonk for the last five miles. i didn't do it to prove anything, just didn't want to take the time to stop. plus i had a lot of goodies at home waiting for me.

Last edited by hueyhoolihan; 06-06-17 at 01:36 AM.
Old 06-06-17, 12:57 PM

Bikes: Novara Trenta Road, Trek ZX6000 MTB

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did a metric (66.5 mi) organized ride last weekend with 4220 ft of climbing at an average speed of 17.5 mph. I state this because context matters. For breakfast I ate a bagel with butter and jelly. During the ride I drank 26 oz of First Endurance EFS (at half strength, 24g carbs) and 1 gel (24g carbs) each hour. At the rest stops I ate a half of a banana (3 -15g carbs each). I had energy at the end just sore legs.

I like to shoot for 40-60g of carbs per hour. 40g is a leisurely ride and 50-60g for a fast paced ride.
Old 06-06-17, 01:59 PM

Bikes: Specialized P1 All Mountain, BMC Teammachine ALR01

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Really good info in this but it really comes down to the individual. I was in the same spot as you at the beginning of the year. Around mid February a friend told me I should get a road bike and start riding with his group. As I was a weekend MTB warrior I figured why not. Took me some time & research to find a good deal on a good bike. My training was more in the gym on an exercise bike since I could get a good hour in during lunch which helped with my goal of losing weight anyways. On the 3 weekends I had before the ride I broke the course down to 3 sections and rode each section over the weekends. That helped me with knowing the course and got me out on the road. On the ride I went through about 40oz of water & about 40oz Gatorade. At the 2 stops I took I ate 1/2 a banana, 1/2 of a home made date energy ball. Between the stops I ate the other halves of the date energy ball. I completed the ride with an avg speed of 18.5mph and felt fine. You also can't neglect post ride, I drank a muscle milk & a carb recovery drink (don't remember the name off the top of my head). When I got home there was the foam rolling of the legs (all sides) and icing them with ice packs. Next morning I felt great and like I was fresh to do it again. The biggest thing I had to overcome was the need to cut calories to lose weight, biking often and eating right has done that for me and I've lost 30lbs & 7.5% body fat.
Old 06-06-17, 06:26 PM

Bikes: 2015 Redline Conquest Elite; 2014 Fuji Tahoe 1.1 27.5er; 2006 Scott Speedster S30 (sold); 2001 Specialized S-Works CX; 1990 Trek 750 (sold); 1999 Bianchi Volpe; 1988 Bianchi Campione D'Italia.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
At no point during the 3 hour ride did I think, "Man, I hope I can make it home without eating a fistful of gels, and I wonder if my breakfast carb-to-protein ratio was correct!"
Old 06-07-17, 07:30 AM
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 405 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Not just the eating so much, but the frantic concerns over eating/drinking the right things at the right times, in just the right quantities.

Did 50 miles this morning, mostly Z2, just two bottles of water. Had a burrito when I got home. At no point during the 3 hour ride did I think, "Man, I hope I can make it home without eating a fistful of gels, and I wonder if my breakfast carb-to-protein ratio was correct!"

I stand by assertion that most people really overthink cycling. Even a wholly inexperienced rider can do 20 miles on nothing, not even water. Provided of course that they are a human person in relatively average physical condition.
+1. It has to do with experience IMO, new riders in our group eat a lot more at stops than the more experienced.
Old 06-07-17, 07:54 AM
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 743 Times in 381 Posts
Originally Posted by Reynolds
+1. It has to do with experience IMO, new riders in our group eat a lot more at stops than the more experienced.
There are 2 reasons for that, one mental, and one physical:

1) you're smarter; you've dialed in what works for you with more experience;

2) you're stronger. The more fit you are, the smaller percentage of your threshold power it takes to maintain a particular effort. So newer, less conditioned riders are working closer to their limit, than better conditioned riders.

Working below your threshold power, you can burn more fat, conserve glycogen, and have less need to consume carbs, working at or above your threshold power, particularly over time, you have more of a need to consume calories.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 06-07-17, 08:44 AM

Bikes: 1980 Koga-Miyata Gentsluxe-S, 1998 Eddy Merckx Corsa 01, 1983 Tommasini Racing, 2012 Gulf Western CAAD10, 1980 Univega Gran Premio

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by SA_Brak
You went from 0 to 43 miles in 4 weeks? No wonder your legs hurt. Your muscles have not adapted to the effort. It doesn't sound like a nutrition problem at all. You don't need much extra nutrition for a 40 mile ride.

I would suggest at least 2 more days of riding a week, perhaps in the 15-20 mile range. Take one day to extend your long ride by 2-5 miles per week. On the long ride, take your time, take a few breaks and make sure you are hydrating.
I agree completely with this. It's adaptation. I just did my first metric century last weekend, after rapidly building up to 42-50 mile rides. On my solo training rides I'd pedal non-stop, pushing the whole way, and I could barely get off the bike at the end, my thigh muscles were so sore. The key is good stretching, and taking some breaks (even on the bike, with some stretching/coasting when you can). I took two brief rest stop breaks on the metric century, and my legs felt good. Not great, but good. If I keep pushing the miles I think by fall I could do a metric century with no leg discomfort, and handle a full century fine.

Nutrition/hydration is more about not bonking. I've done that once, on a very hot day. I didn't eat half of what I had in my jersey pockets on the metric ride.
Old 06-07-17, 10:40 AM

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts
Fitness/engine matters. I have a friend (ex MTB racer) who can go on a 50 mile ride, climb 5000 feet at altitude on one bottle of water. He takes one or sometimes two, even on our "epic" mountain bike rides at altitude. We carry Camelbaks full of water and food and he carries no pack...just two bottles and some random bar or nothing. Most of us will go through three liters and he still has water left but is also much stronger so expends less energy. We always make fun of how little he drinks, and the guy is not super skinny like a climber either. Then I watched his heart rate on a tough (for me) ride where I was at 170-180 on most climbs and he was at 130-140. On flats, the guy is running 100. Heck, I can't do 100 BPM unless coasting at the beginning of the ride.
Old 06-07-17, 02:20 PM
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 743 Times in 381 Posts
Originally Posted by Chandne
Most of us will go through three liters and he still has water left but is also much stronger so expends less energy.

He's not expending less energy. If he weighs the same, and is riding the same terrain at the same speed, he's doing the same amount of work.

What he is doing is working at lower percentage of his functional threshold power, so doing the same work is less taxing for him.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 06-07-17, 04:59 PM

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts
That's a better explanation.
Old 06-08-17, 05:49 AM
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 598 Times in 330 Posts
Originally Posted by Spartan420
Hopefully, I am on the right path to my first 100 mile ride in July. I just need to get nutrition in order. I ride the bike to burn calories, so taking in calories while riding is counter intuitive to me.

Thanks
You will burn about 100 cal for every 5 km. If you ride approx. 25 km/h, you could burn 500 calories per hour.

The general recommendation on longer rides is 100-200 calories per hour (more if you can manage it on really long rides). If you were to eat 100-200 calories per hour on a 100 km, you'll be eating less than you burn, so you don't have to worry about gaining weight. But you'll still be getting enough nutrition for the ride.

Also, drink one 750 ml bottle every 1 to 1.5 hours while riding.

And consume electrolyte pills or food with electrolytes.