Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Unclipping quickly after having to stop very quickly - tips and drills?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Unclipping quickly after having to stop very quickly - tips and drills?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-16, 03:26 PM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2953 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by Stick69
Reasons to ride defensively on my local MUP.

Things I saw on Friday on my commute to and from work.

Dog off leash
Dog on clothesline leash
Geese
Deer on shoulder (I tried to follow the three feet rule)
Pedestrians with earbuds
Two adults with a toddler walking three abreast
Skateboarder (on the college side of river)
Dude on bike with six garbage bags full of aluminum cans
Unpredictable people on bikes and walking(mental illness and/or drugs)
Limbs on trail from recent storm
Puddles
Ranger truck on trail with emergency flashers

At least the horses have their own separate trail

At other times of year we have rattle snakes and turkeys.
The ARBT is a dream path on weekdays. Saturday mornings it is a zoo that I avoid at all costs.
Old 02-21-16, 03:28 PM

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Probably not what you want to hear but 15 mph around a blind corner on a mup, you deserve to fall! Either tootle along and enjoy the mup or get out on the road. Your pedals have little to do with your problems.
Mostly this, but there are pedals such as the Shimano M324 that allow the tension to be set so light there's virtually no resistance.

Total abstinence is a wise decision for those with exceptionally poor judgment, and skills.
Old 02-21-16, 03:43 PM

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 4,544 Times in 3,376 Posts
Originally Posted by Inpd
Thanks for your help. Let me rephrase my question.
Is it even possible to stop suddenly and unclip in 1-2 seconds?
Absolutely.

You don't think of stop, extract the feet from the pedals, put foot down. It should become one fluid motion. Yank feet and down to the ground from a full stop, in less time than it takes to fall over.

And, yes, emergency stops can happen.
  • Riding up my driveway, if I spin the rear wheel on one pedal stroke, I can usually recover. Spinning 2 strokes in a row, and I'm stopped, and must unclip.
  • I had a false start once not seeing traffic at a blind corner. Applied brakes, and feet went down quickly.
  • Passing a lady with a walker, she swung her walker directly into my path as I was passing at a slow enough speed to stop on the spot.
  • I regularly "time" the lights. But, I don't track stand. So, if I'm going 1 MPH, and the light doesn't turn, I have to stop and put a foot down.

So, the motion is simply twist and down. I keep my clips set to about 90% of the force it takes to get the the cleats in.

It is hard to say how to learn. Maybe find a safe parking lot, put on some extra padded clothing, and try a few full stops then unclipping. It isn't quite the same as an emergency stop, but you should be able to come to a full stop, then unclip the pedals and not fall over. And, you shouldn't be afraid of it either.
Old 02-21-16, 04:01 PM

Bikes: Trek 7.2 FX, Co-Motion Supremo

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
The ARBT is a dream path on weekdays. Saturday mornings it is a zoo that I avoid at all costs.
This was my first time trying my commute route on my day off. I parked at Howe at about 0930. I was not prepared for the under-caffeinated students stumbling along the path. That was quite an obstacle course. After I crossed the suspension bridge things were much better on the bike trail proper. When I get in better shape I can park at William Pond and miss the south side by the College. Still the deer right on the shoulder on the way home were kind of a surprise.
Old 02-21-16, 10:45 PM

Bikes: Spec Roubaix, three Fisher Montare, two Pugs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
my suggestion would be to practice unlipping from both sides at all positions. Unclipping is like any brain-muscle action, practice creates neural pathways that will be more readily accessed if you have practiced the action. Knowing you CAN unclip from the right side (or whatever side is less natural to you) doesn't translate to getting your brain to make your muscles do so quickly, but if you practice unclipping from both legs at all positions and gradually increase the speed at which you do so, you will become proficient in stopping quickly and unclipping from either side regardless of where your foot is at the time. Simply practice. Basic life stuff. By the time you have become proficient you will also hopefully realize you be riding in such a manner as to never need that skill, but it's a good skill to have cause you never know when a moose or bear is going to pop out onto the road or trail.
Old 02-24-16, 07:22 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a potential solution!

You learn something new every day. In another forum it was mentioned by @TimH

"SH51 cleats are called "single-release" cleats because you unclip only by twisting your foot to the side. These are more secure and what most experienced cross and MTB riders will use. I use these on my fixed-gear training bike.

SH56 cleats are "multi-release." These can be released by twisting the foot or by lifting the foot at an angle and are much easier to get out of. These are targeted at first time clipless users, casual cyclists and such.

-Tim-"

You guessed it, Shimano's beginner pedals "M520 and M530" ship with the SH51 so I ordered some SH56 cleats.
Old 02-24-16, 07:48 PM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Good luck with those. In my experience, they release so randomly that they are worse than no foot retention at all. Perhaps they will work better for you.
Old 02-24-16, 11:32 PM

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Good luck with those. In my experience, they release so randomly that they are worse than no foot retention at all. Perhaps they will work better for you.
I've never experienced an unintentional release with my M324 pedals.
Old 02-24-16, 11:41 PM

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5895 Post(s)
Liked 2,757 Times in 1,540 Posts
IMo -- there are no tricks or drills. It just becomes automatic, like putting your other foot forward if you trip. If you still have to think about unclipping, you just need to ride some more, maybe in a dense urban area where you have to stop 10 times per mile.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 02-25-16, 12:28 AM

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 4,544 Times in 3,376 Posts
You learn something new every day. In another forum it was mentioned by @TimH

"SH51 cleats are called "single-release" cleats because you unclip only by twisting your foot to the side. These are more secure and what most experienced cross and MTB riders will use. I use these on my fixed-gear training bike.

SH56 cleats are "multi-release." These can be released by twisting the foot or by lifting the foot at an angle and are much easier to get out of. These are targeted at first time clipless users, casual cyclists and such.

-Tim-"

You guessed it, Shimano's beginner pedals "M520 and M530" ship with the SH51 so I ordered some SH56 cleats.
I've suggested that beginners with unclip issues try the multi-release cleats. I haven't tried them myself because as I understand it, they release when one pulls up, and I mash and pull up frequently.

You might also read about the Click-R pedals.

SHIMANO CLICK'R - TECHNOLOGIES - CYCLING FOOTWEAR AND PEDALS - LIFESTYLE GEAR - SHIMANO

It is a bit unclear, but I think they come with (or are recommended to use with) the SH-56 Multirelease cleats.
Old 02-25-16, 05:34 AM

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by MRT2
Yes. It is possible to unclip really quickly if you have to. You should be able to twist out in whatever position your foot is in, and that takes only a couple of seconds. As for stopping, it depends on how fast you are going. I would be worried about locking up the wheels and going down.

Agree with others that if you find yourself in a position to make emergency stops, you are going too fast for the trail. 15 mph going into a blind corner is too fast, especially if you know pedestrians, children or dogs might be in your path.
I have various "rules / aphorisms" for certain situations. After about four falls learning clipless, all at slow stops. my rule is for clipless is, "Even if I just think of slowing or stopping, unclip the right pedal." I think if you have a panic stop, you should have some anticipation of the situation or as noted on several posts, you are riding too fast for the conditions.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 02-26-16 at 10:30 AM.
Old 02-25-16, 05:40 AM

Bikes: '93 911 Turbo 3.6

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kickstart
Don't be a contrarian - lack of evidence is not proof.
Old 02-25-16, 07:59 AM
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
If you ride a trike, you dont have to worry about unclipping quickly after a stop.
Old 02-25-16, 08:08 AM
Banned

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Le Champion lilac, 2015 Specialized Secteur Elite

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Come on you can do better than that! How about stop riding in playgrounds!

Seriously, I ride a MUP alot and it doubles as a walking track. Its quite curvy and sometimes I come around a corner at 15+ mph and a kid is there. I can't ride around them so I have to slam on the brakes. I think my estimate of 5 seconds is generous now that I think about it. More like 1 to 2 seconds.

Should I unclip first and then brake?

I've set the tension on the pedals to the bare minimum.
Kids ride and walk a get their diapers changed on MUPs.
Such is life.
Old 02-25-16, 08:09 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
OP reminds me of a scuba diving saying. "problems that happen at 60 feet need to get solved at 60 feet. That means don't panic and bolt for the surface even though that is your first instinct because that is the thing that will kill you the fastest.

Same with riding, putting your foot down is NOT the solution to the problem, so quit trying to worry about that and worry about the thing that is really wrong.
Old 02-25-16, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by kickstart
These were on M540 pedals on my CX bike. These were new cleats and the pedal spring tension was quite high. They released when I rotated my ankle out, like a typical cleat. But they also released when I rotated my ankle in, which was unexpected. And they released when I pulled up on the pedals, which was disastrous and defeated the whole purpose of having them. Of course, YMMV and I am sure they work for some folks or they would not make them.
Old 02-26-16, 09:20 AM
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
I never was a fan of clipless pedals, for the very reason of having to quickly unclip, especially in situations involving fast moving urban traffic, and here were several times that I could have Club Tombay'd into fast moving traffic, which only reinforced my continuing to use MTB platforms.
Old 02-26-16, 10:26 AM

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by dynodonn
I never was a fan of clipless pedals, for the very reason of having to quickly unclip, especially in situations involving fast moving urban traffic, and here were several times that I could have Club Tombay'd into fast moving traffic, which only reinforced my continuing to use MTB platforms.
After riding clipless for a while now, it isn't even a thought anymore. In the times that I have had to either emergency stop, or while crashing while mountain biking....I always was unclipped before I needed to be. I run Shimano M520 with low cleat tension on all of my bikes so that there are no surprises. It becomes second nature after awhile.
Old 02-26-16, 02:11 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Practice unclipping both feet at the same time. Then do it while you are braking.
Old 02-29-16, 03:01 PM

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 100 Posts
There's no reason you have to ride clipless pedals; especially in a situation with a lot of traffic or pedestrians. And there are those who don't think most non racers really benefit from being attached to the pedal. Platform pedals will work fine for the OP.