Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Which Quill Stem looks best?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Which Quill Stem looks best?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-22, 09:06 PM
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2444 Post(s)
Liked 3,137 Times in 1,976 Posts
My post upstairs didn’t display the pictures.

ITM Eclypse and the 3TTT prochrome can really be made to stand out. Cinelli Pincchio (is that the Grammo?) is pretty cool as well.

I have a few of the the two latter ones that I removed the stickers and the shine like the sun. And they are stiff and strong as heck.
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Old 05-03-22, 09:34 PM

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2326 Post(s)
Liked 5,012 Times in 1,783 Posts
Originally Posted by plonz
I would think the 90 degree vs -17 degree would be based on fit more so than aesthetics. I have a lot of 90 degree stemmed road bikes but only because it’s that or a long-quilled Technomic. Or a bigger frame of course.
Ah the voice of reason!

I remember strangers on various forums giving me crap for riding this bike. "Your bars are too high", "Your fit is all wrong", yada, yada, yada. Like they could know about the 5 blown discs in my lower back and the constant pain I was in for couple of years.

As the back got sorted I was able to be quite comfortable with the bars lower and lower up to where even this bike wasn't an issue.

Then I had the wreck that jacked up the AC joint in my one shoulder. Add in age and a little more cushioning in the belly and I tend to start heading back up on some of the bikes. My fit is still pretty precise for handlebar reach amongst all the bikes but I vary a fair bit on the saddle to bar drop. I need to get some rides in on each new setup to feel things out and see what I like best.

Weirdest thing about the jacked up AC joint is that I feel like I'm always shrugging with my opposite shoulder when I ride now. LIke I'm compensating or something.

Anyway, looks come in a long second to being comfortable on the bike. Rant over, LOL!
"
Old 05-03-22, 09:37 PM

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Originally Posted by jdawginsc
Cinelli Pincchio (is that the Grammo?) is pretty cool as well.
Hmmm.....I may have one of those on the way....maybe....possibly.
Old 05-03-22, 11:38 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 761 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
Ah the voice of reason!

I remember strangers on various forums giving me crap for riding this bike. "Your bars are too high", "Your fit is all wrong", yada, yada, yada. Like they could know about the 5 blown discs in my lower back and the constant pain I was in for couple of years.

As the back got sorted I was able to be quite comfortable with the bars lower and lower up to where even this bike wasn't an issue.

Then I had the wreck that jacked up the AC joint in my one shoulder. Add in age and a little more cushioning in the belly and I tend to start heading back up on some of the bikes. My fit is still pretty precise for handlebar reach amongst all the bikes but I vary a fair bit on the saddle to bar drop. I need to get some rides in on each new setup to feel things out and see what I like best.

Weirdest thing about the jacked up AC joint is that I feel like I'm always shrugging with my opposite shoulder when I ride now. LIke I'm compensating or something.

Anyway, looks come in a long second to being comfortable on the bike. Rant over, LOL!
"
Those bikes look perfectly sane to me. I always get a kick out of folks criticizing fit based on photos with no knowledge of the actual rider's fit, physique or challenges. A corollary being people who prioritize style over function in a bike with their comments*. Another corollary being those that think they know what gearing you "should" need (or not need) because they don't need it.

*I do understand the "hot or not" threads with photos, because they are obviously focused on style not function, although I often disagree with peoples' aesthetic taste. I like looking at those bikes. I also have made a decision on component "a" or "b" based on aesthetics, assuming they both serve the function. I do like the seat post, stem and crank, even the rims, to match - silver or black - but that only comes into play if I happen to have the functional matchy parts available.

Last edited by Camilo; 05-03-22 at 11:41 PM.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 05-04-22, 12:04 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 40 Posts
Cinelli is the nicest look/fit
For the bars stuck in the Cinelli stem remove the bolt and try gently driving a wedge (either a flat stubby screwdriver or a chisel (V-wedge)) into the split to expand the opening up.
The Cinelli Grammo stem is really nice but it's really flexy as it's thin light titanium. Also make sure to keep track of the stem cap because you will never be able to find a replacement
Old 05-04-22, 01:36 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 66 Posts
I've found that Cinelli stems (1/A, 1/R) are often a tight fit in the steering tube. On more than one occasion I've had to have the inside of the fork's steering tube reamed out a slight amount to fit a Cinelli stem. In contrast, 3ttt and Nitto stems would drop right into the fork without fuss. (Columbus steering tube.)

I've found that 3ttt handlebars often slipped in the stem. The bars rotated down, towards the front. I had significantly fewer problems with Nitto or Cinelli.

I've also found that a traditional quill stem with bars to match (~26mm diameter at the clamp) feel a bit too flexible when used on a more modern frame with oversized tubes. This is more of an issue when standing ("dancing") on the pedals. So I prefer 31.7mm/31.8mm bars to use with an oversized tube frameset.

For a quill stem, I recommend Nitto, with Nitto bars to match. The Nitto quality is top notch (in my experience better than Cinelli) , and there is a great range of handlebars available, with various reaches as noted per each model's specifications. Otherwise you may want to consider a threadless stem with a quill adapter. Nitto makes some silver finish bars and stems in 31.8mm diameter. Ritchey also makes a stem and bars in silver finish.

For stem diameter, I think the stem looks 'right' when the diameter of the horizontal part of the stem is about the diameter of the top tube.
Old 05-04-22, 06:02 AM

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 314 Posts
The cinelli looks best but i would go with the one that feels the best.
Old 05-04-22, 06:22 AM

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3515 Post(s)
Liked 2,929 Times in 1,777 Posts
Originally Posted by rogerm3d
For the bars stuck in the Cinelli stem remove the bolt and try gently driving a wedge (either a flat stubby screwdriver or a chisel (V-wedge)) into the split to expand the opening up.
It may be hard to see from the photo, but the Cinelli stem pictured is a 1R--the binding mechanism is internal, and there is no "split" into which one can force a screwdriver.
Likes For smd4:
Old 05-04-22, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by Andrew_G
For a quill stem, I recommend Nitto, with Nitto bars to match. The Nitto quality is top notch (in my experience better than Cinelli) ,
Have to agree with you there. Nitto made the Dura Ace stem--arguably the best looking quill stem ever made.
Old 05-04-22, 06:34 AM

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
My personal favorite at the moment is the XA. I like the transitions and the hidden bolt. this one is a bit long and was replace with a 1R, which has a lot of appeal but subject to poor clamping and failure.
P1020201 on Flickr
Old 05-04-22, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by smd4
It may be hard to see from the photo, but the Cinelli stem pictured is a 1R--the binding mechanism is internal, and there is no "split" into which one can force a screwdriver.
Bingo! And repeated soakings with PB Blaster did no good which surprised me.
Old 05-04-22, 07:20 AM

Have to agree with you there. Nitto made the Dura Ace stem--arguably the best looking quill stem ever made.
Ahhh......I'll take a Nitto Pearl over a Dura Ace anyday. Just something about the look and finish of the pearl. I'm pretty sure I saw a long Dura Ace in my stash when I was looking but if it doesn't fit my need it has no purpose this time.
Old 05-04-22, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by Andrew_G
For a quill stem, I recommend Nitto, with Nitto bars to match. The Nitto quality is top notch (in my experience better than Cinelli) , and there is a great range of handlebars available, with various reaches as noted per each model's specifications. Otherwise you may want to consider a threadless stem with a quill adapter. Nitto makes some silver finish bars and stems in 31.8mm diameter. Ritchey also makes a stem and bars in silver finish.
I too am normally a Nitto fan and use a lot of them. The Pearl is my all time fav and I'm a repeat customer at Ben's Cycles for them. Even have a few Nitto's in the stash right now including a brand new Pearl that is about 15mm too long. It's the first thing I grabbed. In this case I was trying to not spend money on the build. I mean I failed but that was the idea, LOL!

Nitto Noodle is a bar I use a lot too but I've just come to like the Soma HWY One better.
Old 05-04-22, 08:26 AM

Ahhh......I'll take a Nitto Pearl over a Dura Ace anyday. Just something about the look and finish of the pearl
I guess they're fine if you like a giant bolt/clamp system hanging below your bar! (and if I wanted that, I'd get a Cinelli 1A). And I think I'd put the Dura Ace finishing over the pearl any day!
Old 05-04-22, 08:53 AM
vintage motor

Bikes: 48 Automoto, 49 Stallard, 50 Rotrax, 62 Jack Taylor, 67 Atala, 68 Lejeune, 72-74-75 Motobecanes, 73 RIH, 71 Zieleman, 74 Raleigh, 78 Windsor, 83 Messina (Villata), 84 Brazzo (Losa), 85 Davidson, 90 Diamondback, 92 Kestrel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 79 Posts
IMO the Profile goes best with that frame, but whatever fits best is best.
I also have a Cinelli 1-R that won't release the bar. Luckily the bar is where I want it!
Old 05-04-22, 09:00 AM

I guess they're fine if you like a giant bolt/clamp system hanging below your bar! (and if I wanted that, I'd get a Cinelli 1A). And I think I'd put the Dura Ace finishing over the pearl any day!
Pure sex!!

Old 05-04-22, 09:01 AM

I believe we're all in agreement that the stem should fit, be the right length, etc. I can only assume that jamesdak has stems in his collection that fit this bill, and that he knows what size to get if he has to purchase outside his stash.

Of course, proper stem size was not the question posed in this thread.
Old 05-04-22, 09:04 AM

Pure sex!!
Well, like hookers, they are at least readily available. I will say that for 'em!
Old 05-04-22, 10:16 AM

Well, like hookers, they are at least readily available. I will say that for 'em!
Old 05-04-22, 10:18 AM

I believe we're all in agreement that the stem should fit, be the right length, etc. I can only assume that jamesdak has stems in his collection that fit this bill, and that he knows what size to get if he has to purchase outside his stash.

Of course, proper stem size was not the question posed in this thread.
Well....actually I did say it needed to be a 90mm and that I was keeping it to parts on hand.
But I diverted the thread as much as everyone else.
Old 05-04-22, 11:52 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 286 Posts
I should have mentioned that the only reason the Cinelli isn't my favorite is that I can't get it to release the handlebars. I can take that hidden bolt all the way out and the bars are locked in place. I've soaked it repeatedly with PB Blaster with no luck. I'd just hate to use it and suddenly have something go wrong like the bars come free or something. I mean that shouldn't happen with the bolt all the way in but I just feel uncomfortable trusting a stem I can't fully service.
Just put the bolt back in almost all the way and tap it lightly with a small hammer to break the wedge loose. Take the pieces out, clean, grease, reassemble and Bob's your uncle...
Likes For Steel Charlie:
Old 05-04-22, 12:51 PM

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
@jamesdak Hard enough to get the 1R tight enough to keep the HB from rotating even with the correct HB diameter. The cap screw pulls down on a piece that has a ramp matching the ramp of the wedge. By taping on the cap screw lightly while it is loos will move the wedge up and should release the clamping force.

I have a 1A in 80 that I don't need.
Old 05-04-22, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Steel Charlie
Just put the bolt back in almost all the way and tap it lightly with a small hammer to break the wedge loose. Take the pieces out, clean, grease, reassemble and Bob's your uncle...
Originally Posted by SJX426
@jamesdak Hard enough to get the 1R tight enough to keep the HB from rotating even with the correct HB diameter. The cap screw pulls down on a piece that has a ramp matching the ramp of the wedge. By taping on the cap screw lightly while it is loos will move the wedge up and should release the clamping force.

I have a 1A in 80 that I don't need.
Check you guys out! I just went to grab this to test out your method and as soon as I loosened the bolt it came free. I guess sitting a year or so in the stash after I last messed with this let the PB Blaster do it's stuff. Feel sorta stupid that I didn't even check this yesterday.

Anyway if not for your suggestions I probably would have tossed this back in the handlebar box and forgotten about it. Thanks!
Old 05-04-22, 01:42 PM

Check you guys out! I just went to grab this to test out your method and as soon as I loosened the bolt it came free. I guess sitting a year or so in the stash after I last messed with this let the PB Blaster do it's stuff. Feel sorta stupid that I didn't even check this yesterday.

Anyway if not for your suggestions I probably would have tossed this back in the handlebar box and forgotten about it. Thanks!
So the good-looking stem is back in the "possible" rotation?
Old 05-04-22, 06:52 PM

So the good-looking stem is back in the "possible" rotation?
Maybe, the quill is a bit rough looking.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.