Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Giant Roam 2?

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Giant Roam 2?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-21, 10:25 AM
Drip, Drip.

Bikes: Trek Verve E bike, Felt Doctrine 4 XC, Opus Horizon Apex 1

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 163 Posts
hokiefyd considering the way I am sure most people will be riding this sort of bike, 40 x 11-36 is a perfectly sufficient amount of gearing and should actually work rather well - for its intended purpose.

fwiw, my current setup is a 38/48 up front, and a 9 speed 11-34t in the rear. Main advantage with this setup would probably be a better chainline, and the benefit of getting to quickly switch between a climbing/cruising gear, to a sprinting gear, and back, using the front derailleur.

I typically only use the large cog up front for sprinting. Most of the time, im in the granny gear up front, which allows me to use the wide range of cogs in the resr cassette quite commendably.

If you climb steep hills on a regular basis or ride with a relatively heavy load, it probably wouldn't work so well.,but again , the roam isn't really for that. The biggest thing slowing you down would be that heavy 60mm suntour fork.
Old 02-01-21, 09:32 AM

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 763 Times in 571 Posts
I have to think Giant spec'd the 40t crankset with a much wider 10-speed cassette in mind (like an 11-46) to go with the Deore derailleur, as another poster apparently has on his or her 2021 Roam 2, and they've had to step back temporarily to an 11-36 9-speed setup due to supply chain issues.
Old 02-01-21, 02:35 PM
Drip, Drip.

Bikes: Trek Verve E bike, Felt Doctrine 4 XC, Opus Horizon Apex 1

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
I have to think Giant spec'd the 40t crankset with a much wider 10-speed cassette in mind (like an 11-46) to go with the Deore derailleur, as another poster apparently has on his or her 2021 Roam 2, and they've had to step back temporarily to an 11-36 9-speed setup due to supply chain issues.
Anything past 40x36 for your granny gear on a commuting bike is just ridiculous.
Old 02-01-21, 03:28 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1583 Post(s)
Liked 1,210 Times in 613 Posts
Originally Posted by Moisture
Anything past 40x36 for your granny gear on a commuting bike is just ridiculous.
Really? Is it?

I take it you base this definitive pronouncement about appropriate gearing on your many, many years' experience cycle commuting?
Old 02-02-21, 07:20 AM

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 763 Times in 571 Posts
Originally Posted by Moisture
The good thing about cycling is there is no "correct" way to do it. What works for you is good for you, what works for him is good for him, what works for her is good for her, and what works for me is good for me.

I will state an observation that many bikes intended for commuting have what is close to a 1:1 low gear. So if the cassette tops out at 36 teeth, then the chain ring will have about 36 teeth. Many commuters and tourers have double or triple chain rings, so the low gear might be much lower than 1:1 (such as a 28 tooth chain ring with an 11-32 cassette).

Whether or not that suits you is totally up to you.