Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Do you ride for time, distance, both, or neither?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Do you ride for time, distance, both, or neither?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-19, 07:48 PM

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 258 Posts
Time

Mostly anymore I commute when it is light enough for a 'daytime morning commute' -- leaving the house at 6:30-7:00. So the sun has to be up before that. Half asleep morning drivers are bad enough, and I refuse to do it when it is dark out - even though I have both bright front and rear blinky lights!

OK, so more on-topic, I have a 'goal' door-to-door time for my commute -- that is to try to beat my best. My commute is 12.5 miles one way, on relatively flat terrain. Looking at elevations, it is about 160' difference - downhill to work. My best time heading to work -- including stopping at traffic lights -- is 39 minutes flat. That's averaging 19.2mph! I don't think that's all that bad for a 60-yr-old 'semi-Clyde' riding a 30-40-year old, 25-30 pound bike!
Old 01-06-19, 07:50 PM

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 258 Posts
Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider
.... very interesting (doubt anyone remembers Laugh In)

Old 01-06-19, 08:18 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 129 Posts
I usually have a time I want to be home by. I leave in the morning when I’m ready and aim to be back at that time. Stopped carrying a bike computer two years ago, so much more enjoyable.
Old 01-06-19, 09:10 PM
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Every time one of these threads comes up, I'm always left wondering what sort of manias people are suffering from that the inclusion of a computer on a bike ruins the experience for them. It's like saying "my whole day was ruined because I wore a watch."

I ride for me. It's the most selfish thing I do. It's my time, to ride as quickly or slowly, or up or down as many hills as I care to do on that particular day. The amount of enjoyment I derive from it is up to me and me alone.

...that said, I Strava everything. I like looking at the numbers. It's part of the fun. I guess if I rode 10 miles a pop three days a week, I might be more carefree about it... or perhaps one of those who claim that not tracking anything is a pathway to zen.
Old 01-06-19, 09:14 PM
hay
tumbleweed

Bikes: stumpy,bianchi,Wabi classic

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 7 Posts
pleasure
Old 01-06-19, 09:17 PM
Banned.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
wow, some really good responses, very interesting (doubt anyone remembers Laugh In)

#@$&^$%!!! I used to be one of the young guys, now I remember all the old forgotten shows!
Old 01-06-19, 09:22 PM
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
During the Winter months, I keep track of the amount of time spent on using the trainer. During the warmer months when I'm outside on a real bike I track mileage.
Old 01-06-19, 09:23 PM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 46 Posts
I ride for a lot of reasons: fitness, pleasure, camraderie. But I almost always take my little Garmin and keep track of the info on the spreadsheet. I tend to focus on distance, then average speed, then time. Almost all my routes are pre-planned, so I like to compare the various routes to track my improvement. Just part of the little games I play on my bikes.
Old 01-06-19, 10:23 PM
Bicyclerider4life

Bikes: Huffy Beach Cruisers, Miami Sun Trike, Vertical PK7, KHS Montana Summit, Giant Cypress DX, Schwinn OCC Stingray

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
I just ride to get where I need to go and back home again.
Being retired, I don't make appointments. I don't care how long it takes. I get there when I get there.
Old 01-06-19, 10:30 PM

Bikes: Surly Cross Check, Specialized Enduro Pro, Lemond Tourmalet

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 94 Posts

Neither. I’m an ex Cat 3 rider. Done. Now 64, and riding where and how far I wanna ride. No Strava, no computer. And enjoying it!
Old 01-06-19, 11:01 PM
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Fitness. Fun. Errands/commutes. I have one bike for each.

I enjoy Strava and tracking data in general for the social networking aspect and personal challenges.

I'm just beginning to recover from a very difficult 2018 -- injuries and illnesses. For awhile it felt like I was making zero progress. But during Sunday's 30 mile hard workout ride I nearly equalled my best times on the same route. Last time that happened was before the injuries and illnesses, back in the early spring of 2018.

That's the good side to data tracking. Objective evidence of progress.

I'll admit there's a downside. For months my data showed declining performance. Between that and my personal health journal it was pretty depressing for awhile. I stopped logging every tiny detail in the personal health journal because it seemed too obsessive with bad news. I don't need a remind of the bad news. I'd rather remember the good stuff.
Old 01-06-19, 11:21 PM
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
You are clear on the fact though, that record keeping and measuring are not at all necessarily related to social media, right?
Oh yeah, I’m clear on the differences. But people are mentioning Strava, and Strava is just another social media platform. True, it’s an (apparently) convenient way to track individual data, but there’s no denying the social media aspect.

-Kedosto
Old 01-06-19, 11:33 PM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Time and effort. I usually have wattage targets for certain time intervals. That gets expressed and tracked as training stress score (TSS). I track a bunch of other stuff too but it’s all to fill in the dots of the bigger picture.
Old 01-07-19, 12:03 AM

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,065 Times in 1,081 Posts
Randonnduring rides are fixed distance, so that would be for distance.

Ultracycling races are timed, so that would be for time.

At the end of the year, I look at distance, not time.

The odd thing is, I find riding a 24 hour ultra is very different psychologically from riding a brevet that takes 24 hours.
Old 01-07-19, 01:34 AM
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Distance ... mostly.

I'm a long distance cyclist.
Old 01-07-19, 06:25 AM
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
Both.. have nothing to do with why i ride, or how.

The only time I'm thinking about distance is when I'm thinking about which shop would be good to stop at for refreshments.
Old 01-07-19, 07:05 AM
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
I ride for gnar and instagram.
Old 01-07-19, 07:06 AM
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
All of the above. If i'm commuting, it's purely for time, because, I'm going to work, and I gotta be there on time.
I usually track the commutes, since it's an easy way to build 'base' mileage, and since I ride the same route, I can compare different bikes, or if changes to them made any difference.
I do a lot of short rides, that I don't track. The library, the Y, post office, running notes to the school, or even Target for 'one or two things' All of that's within a 2-mile radius of the house only takes a few more minutes each way on the bike than the car, so I ride the bike.

I'm not a big club ride guy, but there is a week-long, 600 mile event I do every other year, and some metric/full century ride events I try to get a couple of those per year, so I do track speed and distance as a matter of preparation for those events. I'm not competitive, but I don't want to die on the road, so I want to be in shape so that I can enjoy the event, rather than just fight to finish.

I Strava, because i'm a map geek, and I like looking at my segment data. I don't really share, but I do like to compare, but if I felt like I had a really awesome section, I can see where that effort stacks up against the local hotshots.
Old 01-07-19, 07:18 AM
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
... I'm always left wondering what sort of manias people are suffering from that the inclusion of a computer on a bike ruins the experience for them. ...that said, I Strava everything...
I'm going to agree with this. Saying that, "X ruins my experience..." is a bit on the extreme side.

To answer the OP, 95% of my rides are for commuting purposes only. I don't keep track of anything, but my employer keeps track of whether or not I show up daily, so there's that.

I'm not sure why ride data would be interesting. It's certainly not to me. Once a ride is completed, it disappears like a vapor, and I have no interest in re-visiting it. There will be another ride in just a few hours.
Old 01-07-19, 07:59 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 63 Posts
Also, are there any commuters that ride solely for their commute?
I am. The bike is a tool. Given heavy traffic and a lack of parking, the bike is the most practical and convenient way to get to work.
Old 01-07-19, 10:55 AM
Wood Licker

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX 8 27.5 +, 2002 Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Never distance. Too hard to judge what a 20k ride on technical single track will feel like. Time generally since that is what is most limited, taking into account my drive to the trailhead.
Old 01-07-19, 11:06 AM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I ride to get to my destination .. transportation ..
Old 01-07-19, 11:17 AM
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Distance, but I try to give myself fun destinations for day trips on the weekend, even if it's just a good place to have lunch. I did 33 rides of more than 100 miles in 2018, so I have to figure out ways to keep it interesting. Laps around a big loop just won't cut it for me, I need variety.

In the summer, I do many 30 mile speed runs after work. Those are routed primarily to avoid the worst of rush hour traffic.
Old 01-07-19, 11:31 AM
Rubber side down

Bikes: are fun! :-)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 105 Posts
Duration, duration, duration!!!!!
Old 01-07-19, 11:38 AM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by Kedosto

Oh yeah, I’m clear on the differences. But people are mentioning Strava, and Strava is just another social media platform. True, it’s an (apparently) convenient way to track individual data, but there’s no denying the social media aspect.

-Kedosto
I track pretty much every ride on Strava, even my super mundane commute or midday errands on the Jump bike. It helps to burn in the heat map to show other riders safe, well-traveled routes, and it provides data to local transportation officials.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.