Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Why aren't bicycle panniers more popular with commuters?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Why aren't bicycle panniers more popular with commuters?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-17, 12:53 AM
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by srestrepo
Folding bike or do you have various bikes locked at the different places you commute to?
I keep one locked in Copenhagen at Nørreport / Hovedbanegård. One in Cambridge-ish, one on the Isle of Wight. They're mostly decent beaters that stand outside.
Old 11-02-17, 05:29 AM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3816 Post(s)
Liked 1,066 Times in 805 Posts
I've always wondered this, I see a lot of people that carry heavy/bulky packs. I always ride around with panniers or a rear trunk if I don't have much stuff to carry, but I usually have a lot of stuff to carry. I've been using panniers since the early 90's and never had a problem with theft.

Panniers are also good when you get in an accident, they have saved my rear wheel more than once and it's always fun to pass lance-wannabe roadies with panniers
Old 11-02-17, 06:10 AM

Bikes: 1 for road & 1 for gravel

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 28 Posts
For me and the stuff I carry everyday that I commute or do a quick shopping ride, my 15L Osprey backpack is all that is needed.
Old 11-02-17, 06:11 AM

Bikes: Trek 7.3FX, Diamondback Edgewood hybrid, KHS Montana

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
Overkill, as mcours2006 mentioned. I'm using a medium/small trunk bag now, which never leaves my rack - I just shove a bag with clothes/lunch in and zip it up.
Ditto.

I have a small fanny pack that I keep work essentials (flash-drives, keys, ID, etc) in. I toss it in the trunk-bag.
My trunk-bag expands, so lunch and an extra shirt (or this time of year the extra clothing layers from the morning ride) can all fit in the trunk.

I've used panniers, and I would again if I had to carry more but the trunk is efficient for day to day.
Old 11-02-17, 06:40 AM
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
i use panniers

I use panniers when I am commuting year round. during the summer I could probably have gotten by with a trunk bag or something else but I already invested in Ortleib panniers. They keep stuff dry and that is very important to me. I will take a little extra drag on my commuting bike because it just makes me faster on the mountain or road bike. I have used a backpack a couple of times when I rode my road bike for my commute but back was hot. I don't really stop and hang out a lot of places. it is usually from home to work and from work to home. Not a lot of extra trips.
If I had to remove them more often I might look at something else.

Originally Posted by mannie3moon
I live in a pretty bike-friendly town with lots of LBSs. I don't understand why more commuters don't invest in a pair of panniers for toting stuff around. Of course there's nothing inherently wrong with riding with 3 or 4 plastic shopping bags swinging from your handlebars, but I find panniers so much more convenient, especially when grocery shopping. What's the deal? Nothing I'm angry about, it just makes me wonder
Old 11-02-17, 06:42 AM
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
what brand of trunk bags is recommended? or do you use? can you show some pictures?

thanks and if this highjacks the thread I will repost as a separate one.

Originally Posted by FenderTL5
Ditto.

I have a small fanny pack that I keep work essentials (flash-drives, keys, ID, etc) in. I toss it in the trunk-bag.
My trunk-bag expands, so lunch and an extra shirt (or this time of year the extra clothing layers from the morning ride) can all fit in the trunk.

I've used panniers, and I would again if I had to carry more but the trunk is efficient for day to day.
Old 11-02-17, 06:49 AM
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 890 Post(s)
Liked 929 Times in 542 Posts
Panniers encourage me to carry more stuff, and I've found I don't like the way the bike handles with a lot of weight on the rear wheel.
Rack trunk for extra layers, tubes, tools, all the stuff that stays with the bike, and a MountianSmith lumbar pack with lunch and whatever needs to come inside. I can keep my bike inside under the stairs in the back stairwell, so it's no big deal if I need to get to it.

I typically ride 3 days a week, so I use the car days to pre-stage clean clothes or other supplies.
Old 11-02-17, 07:05 AM

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by RidingMatthew
what brand of trunk bags is recommended? or do you use? can you show some pictures?

I've been using this one for a couple of months.
https://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Produc...0052_141517_-1
Old 11-02-17, 07:25 AM

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 2,665 Times in 965 Posts
Does this count?

[IMG]Grand Canal by res1due, on Flickr[/IMG]

For commuting I use a backpack for most of my stuff. As Acidfast said panniers are for biking. They don't work as well wandering all over. The backpack does.

Ruberad's comment about the tipping point is also on target for me. The bag in the photo was $2 on sale at a thrift store. I've been looking at genuine panniers for a few years. Recently I purchased a single Axiom bag at the LBS for $70. It was worth it for a short tour, but.. Ouch!
Old 11-02-17, 07:49 AM

Bikes: 2016 Felt Z85 105, 2016 GT Grade Sora

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yeah, the panniers were expensive but they were also on clearance at REI when i bought them. what shoudl have been 180 -220 only ran me 108.93 or something ridiculously low like that.

i was pretty pleased but this reaffirms the tipping point suggestion that it is an investment.

agree also about the wandering about the city - on a recent trip to new york city, i opted for a backpack instead of panniers because i just didn't know if i'd be away from my bike at all and i didnt want to lug around the panniers awkwardly as they're not built to be carried for extended periods of time.

but for commuting - hands down the panniers do it for me. what i lack in simply checking the weather, i make up for by carrying a rain jacket, an lightweight insulating layer, a beanie, neoprene shoe covers, some pretty decent fall type weather gloves and a small external battery and cable to re-charge my lights with. all of that goes in one pannier. the other pannier i stuff my clothes, and lunch in and off i go.

i used to do this with a backpack and i didn't mind it terribly, but the panniers were like a revelation to me. if i couldn't use them, i would be more upset about not having them anymore versus having to use a backpack. its not like the backpack is a non-starter, just less comfortable albeit not terribly so.
Old 11-02-17, 07:58 AM

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
I use panniers all the time; but then I am able to keep my bicycle in my classroom during the day.

I have an Ortlieb back roll er on one side, on the other side I have an Ortlieb briefcase. I have also used Wald folding baskets and I liked that approach too.
Old 11-02-17, 07:59 AM

Bikes: Trek 7.3FX, Diamondback Edgewood hybrid, KHS Montana

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RidingMatthew

I bought the brand that was in my local bike shop. They're a Trek dealer so it's Bontrager. I do not have any particular brand loyalty. I treat the bag with waterproofing spray a couple times a year. It's fixed to a seatpost rack (photo below).
Here's the bag on the Bontrager website

Last edited by FenderTL5; 11-02-17 at 08:06 AM.
Old 11-02-17, 07:59 AM

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2624 Post(s)
Liked 1,968 Times in 1,232 Posts
I use panniers for commuting; it's part of the routine. Clothes in one side, shoes in the other, lunch where it fits best. Grabbing the Ortlieb handles and carrying them inside is a matter of routine.

When I lock a bike outside the grocery store, the panniers are like my reusable bags. (I hope I remembered them!)
Old 11-02-17, 08:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think they look bad. For my commute a back pack works better.
Old 11-02-17, 08:04 AM
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6252 Post(s)
Liked 4,278 Times in 2,396 Posts
Originally Posted by SHBR
Panniers are great if you got a lot of stuff to carry.

If not, there are other options.

I find them to be most useful for grocery runs.
Corollary: Panniers encourage you to carry lots of stuff. I see people riding to work all the time with panniers stuffed fuller than I would stuff them for 5 weeks of touring. There seems to be an "ideal pannier law" similar to the Ideal Gas Law...i.e. gases expand to fill the available space.

For what it's worth, this is my typical bag for commuting

DSCN0387 by Stuart Black, on Flickr

It has drop down sides for carrying home my overflow of clothing in the evening which is fairly common here in Colorado even in the dead of winter.

The bag is a Racktime Rack-it with an Ortlieb rack adapter grafted to it. It snaps into place so that I don't have to deal with velcro wearing out which has happened on numerous trunk bags. I wish the stupid thing would wear out so that I could get one of these Ortlieb rack bags, which has a much simpler attachment system but the bag is a tough as nails and will probably last me 5 to 10 years more...it's already about 10 years old.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Last edited by cyccommute; 11-02-17 at 08:08 AM.
Old 11-02-17, 08:45 AM

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 410 Times in 236 Posts
These are cheap Canadian Tire panniers, but I like them for groceries. There's an extra bag that clips onto the top of the rack that can hold a bunch more stuff. I'll only ride this when I go shop after work.
IMG_0076.jpg

This 'tail' bag has been my go-to lately. Slightly less capacity than a backpack, but so much better for the sweat back.
IMG_0148.jpg
Old 11-02-17, 09:22 AM
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 890 Post(s)
Liked 929 Times in 542 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Corollary: Panniers encourage you to carry lots of stuff. .......... There seems to be an "ideal pannier law" similar to the Ideal Gas Law...i.e. gases expand to fill the available space.
This. Riding around with empty, floppy panniers is just as annoying. There's no middle ground

Originally Posted by cyccommute
For what it's worth, this is my typical bag for commuting.................It has drop down sides for carrying home my overflow of clothing in the evening which is fairly common here in Colorado even in the dead of winter.

The bag is a Racktime Rack-it with an Ortlieb rack adapter grafted to it. It snaps into place so that I don't have to deal with velcro wearing out which has happened on numerous trunk bags. I wish the stupid thing would wear out so that I could get one of these Ortlieb rack bags
The bags with the drop-down sides are an interesting option, since i'm usually wearing my extra layers for the ride home at night, one of my bags is usually close to empty, it'd be nice to be able to tuck it out of the way.

I wish you hadn't linked that Ortlieb, tho. I had Ortlieb roll-tops on my moto and they were bomb-proof.

The Velcro is starting to get nubby on my old trunk bag, so it's time to look in to replacements. You just made the decision harder.
Old 11-02-17, 10:22 AM
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,462 Times in 2,566 Posts
Originally Posted by srestrepo
what i lack in simply checking the weather, i make up for by carrying a rain jacket, an lightweight insulating layer, a beanie, neoprene shoe covers, some pretty decent fall type weather gloves and a small external battery and cable to re-charge my lights with. all of that goes in one pannier.
That's my problem too; I'm bad at keeping track of forecasts. If you want to avoid this one full pannier's worth of unnecessary weight, you might consider signing up for rain alert emails at ifttt.com.
Old 11-02-17, 10:39 AM
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 513 Post(s)
Quoted: 7371 Post(s)
Liked 2,523 Times in 1,466 Posts
Some of the unpopularity of panniers might be explained by lack of critical mass in the local bike culture. Think about how long it took US cyclists to start using headlights on our bikes. It was only recent for most of us, which, when you think about it, is insane. Here in NYC, bike commuting is common, and I see equipment changes on the bikes in the general population. Usage of helmets and lights is rising noticeably. Panniers are now common.

The criticisms above are fair. You need a rack, and panniers are expensive, and carrying them isn't very comfortable, so they're best if you're only using them on the bike.

And some of the new backpack designs are pretty good, making the advantages of panniers slightly less valuable.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-02-17, 10:42 AM
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 513 Post(s)
Quoted: 7371 Post(s)
Liked 2,523 Times in 1,466 Posts
I got a pair of Ortlieb panniers on sale, and they're smaller than I wanted, but I couldn't pass the deal up. Now a couple of years later, I realize their size is ideal, because I manage, and they don't encourage me to carry too much.

I've noticed that having the rack and panniers on front works out much better than I had expected. I like them better in front than on the rear.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-02-17, 11:05 AM

Bikes: Schwinn Miranda 1990, Giant TCX 2 2012

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
I have an Ibera Commuter bag with expandable pannier. Best of both worlds... In clement weather, I only use the bag which is big enough to hold my change of clothes (except for shoes which stays at work) and lunch. When weather gets cold in the morning and warmer in the afternoon (like now), I use the pannier to hold my morning clothes while commuting back from work.

Oops, I guess resizing an image doesn't really work. Sorry for the large image.

Last edited by SylvainG; 11-02-17 at 11:39 AM.
Old 11-02-17, 01:17 PM
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Liked 1,548 Times in 1,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
I prefer a rigid basket...

Big enough to hold a regular shopping bag, or a backpack. I don't need to open or close anything, but just throw stuff in and go.
I too prefer a steel basket for carrying stuff about town or while commuting for its versatility and ease of use for carrying backpack, groceries or whatever.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
beer in basket.jpg (82.4 KB, 163 views)
File Type: jpg
Rear Basket2.jpg (915.3 KB, 162 views)
Old 11-02-17, 01:36 PM

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by SylvainG
I have an Ibera Commuter bag with expandable pannier. Best of both worlds... In clement weather, I only use the bag which is big enough to hold my change of clothes (except for shoes which stays at work) and lunch. When weather gets cold in the morning and warmer in the afternoon (like now), I use the pannier to hold my morning clothes while commuting back from work.

Oops, I guess resizing an image doesn't really work. Sorry for the large image.
Very convenient. I'll bet a person could rig up a nylon bag to do that, folded up in a trunk's side pocket, couple of elastic straps on the back side to hold a tight shape ... good idea.
Old 11-02-17, 01:47 PM

Bikes: Fahrradmanufaktur Trekking Bike, 2 x Lightning Phantom, bikeE AT, Radwagon3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 73 Posts
I have been using the same set of Ortlieb panniers since over 20 years. The additional weight is negligible on my heavy old fashioned steel bike. Yes they are expensive but after 20+ years usage and basically no wear I think this has been a very good investment. They are waterproof and roomy. And in regards to theft: I never leave mine on the bike when I leave the bike locked somewhere. Since they just click into the carrier there is no effort involved in removing them. Just pull up them up and remove them. And with the shoulder strap they are easy to carry.
I personally don't like to use a backpack on my upright bike and can't use one on my recumbents anyhow.
In addition I have a front rack and a front basket. ;-)
Old 11-02-17, 02:32 PM
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad
Nope, just seat of the pants testing augmented by the increase in drag I experienced after putting panniers on my motorcycle.

I've got enough things I deal with in life that make it less enjoyable, using a backpack instead of a pannier is an easy choice to eliminate one of those things.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.