Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

For casual road touring, long distance road riding, and commuting ?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

For casual road touring, long distance road riding, and commuting ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-18, 06:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by 3speed
What’s the budget, and the good point someone else brought up, flat or drop bars? Do you plan to do any “spirited” riding or just a casual pace? At this point I feel like we probably have a good enough idea to recommend something with those answers. If you’re mechanically inclinded, I’d lean toward recommending an old mtb conversion(flat or drop) or the newer termed gravel bike(if drop bars). Only lots of reading can answer the question for you of which one.
US$2000
Flat bars
Old 04-06-18, 08:05 AM
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 352 Posts
Bars
For all-day rides, I'd want drop bars instead of flat bars, for the many different hand positions. My gravel / all-day bike has the bars set a little higher than my road bike. I can easily stay in the drops as just another hand position. "Shallow drop" bars work great for me.

Go test ride with drop bars about level with the saddle, or an inch or so higher or lower.

Fenders! Big tires!
Fenders are great for wet roads, I can go ride right after the rain and stay completely dry. And I'm more likely to go ride with a possibility of rain during the day.

The newer wide tires with flexible sidewalls are amazing on very rough roads, and perfect for crushed stone rail trails. My 38mm smooth tread tires at 38 psi front and 45 psi rear are fast and efficient on smooth roads, and great on the rough parts too.

Disk brakes have fewer compromises than rim brakes for wide tires.

Toe overlap

I never worried about toe overlap of the front tire on any of my bikes -- it's only a problem with sharp turns at walking speeds. But I do wish my gravel bike didn't overlap -- on steep gravel roads, I have to be very careful when steering on the loose surfaces. Those speeds are slow, and it takes larger steering inputs to stay upright.

Last edited by rm -rf; 04-06-18 at 08:08 AM.
Old 04-06-18, 09:18 AM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Yea ,pre suspension fork MTB..
but a long blade rigid fork was made as a substitute for a suspension fork, thereby not changing the head tube angle/height.
Old 04-06-18, 09:34 AM
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
Originally Posted by Blaise88
I recently purchased an All City Space Horse (the older canti model) for all-purpose riding and am really enjoying it. The newer disc model also looks great.
excellent frameset. my son has my old one. the canti model is preferrable to me.
Old 04-09-18, 06:52 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
That’s quite the budget for a pretty basic bike. Honestly, spend half of it and have a nice bike considering your needs. Spend some of the rest on nice, light weight gear if you don’t already have it. I think in your situation I would buy a new flat bar, large-ish tire 700c bike(possibly marketed as “29er” for some dumbf***k marketing reasons, but it’s the same size) that’ll fit a 700x50mm tire, or find a nice older steel mtb frame and build it up with nice 9sp components and wheels. If you get a new bike, skip the single chainring marketing and get something with a triple chainring.
Old 04-09-18, 03:06 PM
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,996 Times in 2,667 Posts
Originally Posted by 3speed
That’s quite the budget for a pretty basic bike. Honestly, spend half of it and have a nice bike considering your needs. Spend some of the rest on nice, light weight gear if you don’t already have it. I think in your situation I would buy a new flat bar, large-ish tire 700c bike(possibly marketed as “29er” for some dumbf***k marketing reasons, but it’s the same size) that’ll fit a 700x50mm tire, or find a nice older steel mtb frame and build it up with nice 9sp components and wheels. If you get a new bike, skip the single chainring marketing and get something with a triple chainring.
I am curious why you think single chainring set ups are just marketing? As someone who has a 1x9 and two 1x1s I am wondering where the marketing is. I love my 1x9 commuter bike it has plenty of gearing and less weight for commuting. I love my triple on my touring bike and am not knocking them but I don't see a need to call 1x simply just marketing. Yes it is popular again but it is also quite practical to remove a shifter and derailleur and also duplicate gearing. Internally geared hubs have been 1x's and I am curious if you think those are marketing as well?

Simplifying your bike can be quite a good thing and I would try it.