Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Collectible fixed gear boom bikes

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Collectible fixed gear boom bikes

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-18, 04:49 PM
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
You never know what the collectibles market will do 20 or 30 years from now.

In the 1960s and '70s, air cooled Volkswagens were mostly considered disposable junk. Some counterculture groups and some lower-class families liked them for their affordability and ease of maintenance, but nobody ever considered them potentially collectible, aside from the really early models, the rare notchbacks, and maybe the Things and Karmann-Ghias. By the 1980s, all "old" VWs had gained a cult following and started increasing in value. Today, values have skyrocketed for anything in good condition, especially anything pre-1968, or with a convertible top.

If you'd told my dad in 1972 that within 40 years his bus* would be worth several times its new price, as long as he kept it in decent, running condition, he'd have thought you're crazy.

* The VW Transporter in which he was hauling our family around, because it was all he could afford.
Old 08-30-18, 06:10 PM

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
I remember when I really wanted an IRO Angus back in the day
. Sounds like another vote for IRO! I am not real familiar with, will need to do some searching, thanks.

Originally Posted by Broctoon

In the 1960s and '70s, air cooled Volkswagens were mostly considered disposable junk. Some counterculture groups and some lower-class families liked them for their affordability and ease of maintenance, but nobody ever considered them potentially collectible, aside from the really early models, the rare notchbacks, and maybe the Things and Karmann-Ghias. By the 1980s, all "old" VWs had gained a cult following and started increasing in value. Today, values have skyrocketed for anything in good condition, especially anything pre-1968, or with a convertible top.

If you'd told my dad in 1972 that within 40 years his bus* would be worth several times its new price, as long as he kept it in decent, running condition, he'd have thought you're crazy.

* The VW Transporter in which he was hauling our family around, because it was all he could afford.
I saw a little bus truck bed type (don't know models) that needed resto a year or so ago just sitting and getting older. I made contact, but guy was not even interested in talking about selling. They do have a big following. The fixed gear group is a bit of a counterculture in itself.
Old 08-30-18, 09:02 PM
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikerider007
I saw a little bus truck bed type (don't know models) that needed resto a year or so ago just sitting and getting older. I made contact, but guy was not even interested in talking about selling.
That's called a Kombi. They were offered in single cab and double cab versions, but not a whole lot were sold in the U.S. They are very collectible, with prices going unbelievably high lately. I wouldn't give my right thumb for one, but probably my left pinky finger, or any three toes.
Old 08-31-18, 11:31 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
It is not like they were putting various celebrities and companies names on their bikes just to stay relevant.
What do you call gold-plating a bike to give to a Pope who is so old he can barely walk?
Old 08-31-18, 12:43 PM

Bikes: Bare Rum Sword Knuckle Runner

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 64 Posts
~.

You never know with a lot of things. Back in the early 2000's when I was in college and buying used books on Amazon I had no idea how valuable their stocks would become. They were trading at around $40 a share at the time and are now over $2k a share. How did I miss that, seems so obvious now!?!

Bikes will never increase in value enough for me to deal with storing them in the hopes they will turn a profit on the used market. I buy bikes that I want to ride, if they happen to become collectible then that's cool too.
Old 08-31-18, 06:21 PM

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
fuji obey is the best fixed gaer ever
Old 08-31-18, 08:14 PM
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
Originally Posted by IAmSam
What do you call gold-plating a bike to give to a Pope who is so old he can barely walk?
Well 'Nago is an Italian brand so it makes some sense. Better than that silly ASI "Breezer" the new one got. It was a bit garish I will admit but I would love to own something like that. Plus it now resides in the Colnago Museeum (spelled that way on purpose, if you don't get it learn you some historei) so all can see it.

Plus it wasn't just a rattle can job, Ernesto made a top range bike for him and then a more practical flat bar he could cruise around on at his summer home.
Old 08-31-18, 09:44 PM

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
Originally Posted by johnnytheboy
fuji obey is the best fixed gaer ever
****** right, those mismatched gold bits were legendary.
Old 08-31-18, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Well 'Nago is an Italian brand so it makes some sense. Better than that silly ASI "Breezer" the new one got. It was a bit garish I will admit but I would love to own something like that. Plus it now resides in the Colnago Museeum (spelled that way on purpose, if you don't get it learn you some historei) so all can see it.

Plus it wasn't just a rattle can job, Ernesto made a top range bike for him and then a more practical flat bar he could cruise around on at his summer home.
OK I'll bite - have no idea what you mean with "Museeum", so please let me/us in on it. And while you are at it - since you still swear Colnago never does/did financially driven, and what some consider silly, paint-job celebrity collabos - perhaps you ought to learn you some historei 'bout...Futura or Stash
Old 09-01-18, 12:55 PM

One can debate just about anything, but Colnago and SE pimp bikes. Cinelli is artsy driven but similar. Hand made quality is a plus but branding and popularity are a major part. Think about Jordan shoes made in sweat shops or whereever. Pretty much any Nike shoe. It's the "Swoosh" on your feet.

There are countless quality Italian and other builders bikes that people won't pay half the price for of a well known bike.
Old 09-01-18, 12:57 PM

Bikes: stinner cx, paramount track

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
theres a sucker born every minute. just like se, the only ppl who are still buying those "schwinns" you see at target/walmart are ones who have literally zero knowledge of bicycles outside of the fact that they rode a schwinn growing up in the 70s.
Old 09-01-18, 08:52 PM
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
Johan Museeuw from the Mapei team, won a ton of races back in the 90s on crabons Colnagos. You might remember him from such funky sunglasses as these: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...nn_MUSEEUW.jpg

True on the Futura/Stash stuff but at the very least it was a super high end bike with Gilco tubes and was a bit more unique, Handmade, hand painted works of art rather than just a logo on a frame. Though I don't remember much more from them on that similar front and I would happily own one of those bikes in a heartbeat whereas a ASI SE, not as much.

Last edited by veganbikes; 09-01-18 at 08:56 PM.
Old 09-01-18, 09:31 PM

I don't know how this became a Colnago is the best thread (we all know Colnago is collectible and expensive) and why no one has pics of their 00s fixed gears on the fixed/SS section? but that was hope of this thread.
Old 09-01-18, 09:46 PM

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
Hell yeah let's throw em down, my Lo Pro was siiiiiiiiiick.
Old 09-02-18, 07:44 AM

@seau grateau and @TMonk
​​​​​​There is a CL listing a couple hours south of me for an IRO. Seems reasonable considering it appears it may be the Reynolds 631 (finally did some research).

Not mine but here's the pic and link. https://tucson.craigslist.org/bik/d/...685946463.html

Old 09-02-18, 11:16 AM

I don't know how this became a Colnago is the best thread (we all know Colnago is collectible and expensive) and why no one has pics of their 00s fixed gears on the fixed/SS section? but that was hope of this thread.
Yeah I've had enough of the Colnago is/isn't the greatest bike ever discussion, myself.

You ever thought about KHS Flite 100 or its dearly departed cousin Aero Track, as "Collectible fixed gear boom bikes"? They seem to have a pretty big following among vintage-ish tarck bike fanbois. IIRC they 1st came out in the 90's - but at least the Flite 100 has hung in there through the oughts to the present day despite the low-rent copy from Bikedirect being pushed by its shills as "the exact same bike" and stealing some of its thunder.

And...since you want pics, and unlike the haters here you like the old DC Fixed Ripper, considering we also have an off-road/gravel fixed thread going - maybe I can kill two birds with one stone. Here is mine, which ended its time with me as a fixed gear mountain bike that I rode at all our local MTB parks, even ocasionally on some of the more advanced, and what passes for technical here, trails with absolutely zero problems. In fact, one of the better (wilder?) MTB riders here back then went so nuts over what I was doing that he talked me into selling it to him at the trailhead, and last time I saw him on it was riding it like a maniac...

Old 09-02-18, 06:10 PM
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
St. Pope John Paul II was 59 when he was given the bike and in great shape at the time.

He was pretty athletic and loved to ski and kayak. He used to sneak out of the Vatican to go skiing or hiking. It caused much consternation for the Swiss Guard.

-Tim-
Old 09-02-18, 10:04 PM

Yeah I've had enough of the Colnago is/isn't the greatest bike ever discussion, myself.

You ever thought about KHS Flite 100 or its dearly departed cousin Aero Track, as "Collectible fixed gear boom bikes"? They seem to have a pretty big following among vintage-ish tarck bike fanbois. IIRC they 1st came out in the 90's - but at least the Flite 100 has hung in there through the oughts to the present day despite the low-rent copy from Bikedirect being pushed by its shills as "the exact same bike" and stealing some of its thunder.

And...since you want pics, and unlike the haters here you like the old DC Fixed Ripper, considering we also have an off-road/gravel fixed thread going - maybe I can kill two birds with one stone. Here is mine, which ended its time with me as a fixed gear mountain bike that I rode at all our local MTB parks, even ocasionally on some of the more advanced, and what passes for technical here, trails with absolutely zero problems. In fact, one of the better (wilder?) MTB riders here back then went so nuts over what I was doing that he talked me into selling it to him at the trailhead, and last time I saw him on it was riding it like a maniac...

Looks good. The plan for my next set of tires on my black bike is to do cross type.
Old 09-07-18, 08:00 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@seau grateau and @TMonk
​​​​​​There is a CL listing a couple hours south of me for an IRO. Seems reasonable considering it appears it may be the Reynolds 631 (finally did some research).

Not mine but here's the pic and link. https://tucson.craigslist.org/bik/d/...685946463.html

I picked one up mid summer all stock not as a collector for ~$200 in a 58 it was this guys pub bike so it was somewhat neglected. I gave it a good clean and waxed the paint chips replaced the tires. feels great to me.
Old 09-07-18, 09:54 AM
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts

My grandparents drove a Chevy Nomad wagon until it just died and got rid of it for a horrid 70s Chevy Caprice, a vinyl top with a rust kit attached.

When I was a kid I understand that the Revox reel to reel decks came for free with the humongous IGN Carousel spot cartridge machine. The IGN is a doorstop now, the Revoxes fetch a king's ransom because Willi Studer made them that good. Legendary. And I waited 30 years from the time I first saw one to own one.

But I'm no judge of single speed road frames because they aren't my thing and I don't collect, I use.