Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Need Help Identifying unopened bicycle boxes

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Need Help Identifying unopened bicycle boxes

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-20, 08:18 PM

Bikes: '13 Specialized Elite, KHS 223, '94 Trek 2120, 92 Raleigh technium, '87 Centurion LeMans, '86 Centurion IronMan, 2019 Canyon Endurace Al

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 37 Posts
if the OP bites on this....

I'm going to post the Golden Gate bridge on ebay as the worlds largest MUP. Send me $ 99.95 and local pickup only.
Likes For grayEZrider:
Old 12-04-20, 08:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by sarhog
What part of the world does this happen? What decade did it happen? How many times has it happened to you?
I’ve lived all over the US, SE Asia, and Japan and I’ve never had this happen, nor do I know anyone whom has personally experience this...
Curious minds and all....
I live in the SF Bay Area and although it’s been a long while I have been approached w this exact “deal” a few times.
Old 12-04-20, 10:25 PM

Bikes: Merida Speeder

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 115 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
I like this truck you speak of. Cabbage, bikes and non-fake iPhones are great. Do you know where I might find this truck?
Basically on any street corner in Seoul, Korea. Those guys are usually hustlers, buying and selling anything for profit, but they're not often scammers. They have a reputation to uphold for repeat customers.

I actually don't know about Japan, as the wholesale cabbage thing is often a Korean phenomenon, where they sell cabbages in the cities, after buying from farmers out in the countryside, at a bit of a profit for people to make kimchi, the staple Korean pickle.

Those guys always deal in cash, though, and once they've driven away, returning anything you bought from them is not possible.
Old 12-04-20, 10:36 PM

But to get back on track, if there are safeguards in place, you cannot really go wrong with a $10 bike. It's worth more, and the auction will probably go higher.

Still, even you can get some for that price, you will need to pay for delivery or arrange for pick up, have storage space ready and be prepared to flip any bikes that don't fit.

They are likely fairly pedestrian bikes of the cheap alloy frame xc mtb type that is ubiquitous worldwide, so flipping them may take time, especially outside of Japan with current limitations on shipping. There is no easy airmail from Korea right now, for example, and all packages are surface only, unless you use DHL.

Last edited by PDKL45; 12-06-20 at 01:14 AM.
Likes For PDKL45:
Old 12-07-20, 12:37 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
What part of the world does this happen? What decade did it happen? How many times has it happened to you?
I’ve lived all over the US, SE Asia, and Japan and I’ve never had this happen, nor do I know anyone whom has personally experience this...
What's with all the questions? There are 1000 movies and a million books written regarding "Confidence Men". Do I need to explain that to you. From Jack and the Bean Stalk to so-called patent medicines in the 18th century to multitudes of internet scams today.

Guys sold electronics out of their trunks for decades her in Los Angeles. A friend was offered a pickup truck load of of machine equipment, "brought in for a trade show but too expensive to ship back so I will sell it too you for 10%"
Old 12-07-20, 01:06 PM

Bikes: GR300, Grail, Live Wire, 5010

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 241 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by joel1952
What's with all the questions? There are 1000 movies and a million books written regarding "Confidence Men". Do I need to explain that to you. From Jack and the Bean Stalk to so-called patent medicines in the 18th century to multitudes of internet scams today.

Guys sold electronics out of their trunks for decades her in Los Angeles. A friend was offered a pickup truck load of of machine equipment, "brought in for a trade show but too expensive to ship back so I will sell it too you for 10%"
Did you read my questions? I don’t need an explanation, I understand the concept. I’ve just never experienced it in my lifetime.
Old 12-07-20, 03:02 PM

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Concorde PRX, Scott Scale 29er, Santa Cruz Tall Boy, Blue Norcross EX

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Hucksters (boxsters?!?)

Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
Can you open a box before paying for it? It might be full of junk, or bricks, or some other items of similar weight.

This whole thing reminds me of the old scam where a guy drives up in a van full of boxes, all supposedly containing high-end car speakers, or TVs, or stuff like that. "Supposedly" the whole van full was some sort of leftover stock ordered by mistake and the guy just wants to get rid of them for a too-good-to-be-true price. Cash only, of course, and "pay quickly before the boss catches me!" He might even have one box already opened so you can see the speakers or TV or whatever. Then the guy drives off with your money and you're left with a cardboard box containing a couple bricks and a bunch of bubble wrap.
I was approached at a gas station probably 20 years ago. Same deal. Stereo equipment in boxes in the guy’s minivan. Glad I didn’t bite. Something seemed off...
Old 12-08-20, 07:42 AM

Bikes: Focus Arriba, Specialized Roubaix Expert, Bianchi Impulso Allroad

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 53 Posts
Google 'white van speaker scam.' Up through the 00's this was common on the eastern seaboard of the US. Personally I was approached in NC, MD, and PA with the scam. Once you could google the speaker brand with your smartphone while the guy waited, the jig was up.
Old 12-08-20, 01:52 PM
Old bikes, Older guy

Bikes: A few modern, Several vintage, All ridden when weather allows.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 115 Posts
RUN - don’t walk away?
Old 12-08-20, 04:55 PM

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1092 Post(s)
Liked 936 Times in 601 Posts
I guess this thread died out. What happened, OP?
Old 12-09-20, 08:12 AM
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3148 Post(s)
Liked 1,713 Times in 1,034 Posts
Originally Posted by redcon1
Once you could google the speaker brand with your smartphone while the guy waited, the jig was up.
Why did that ruin the scam?
Likes For chaadster:
Old 12-09-20, 09:57 AM

Bikes: 93 Zunow Di Picce, Nakagawa, Bridgestone Track bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Bid on the high wheeler bikes! Who doesnt love a good Penny Farthing for $50usd?

This thread is wild- made even more so since it appears legit.
I would 100% be willing to buy 2 boxes of something for $40usd. I have spent more on worse, and thats when I knew what I was buying!
I would absolutely love a penny farthing lol. I would ride it every day.

Originally Posted by Herzlos
I'm always wary - wouldn't the seller be better off at least opening them to give a better idea of what's in the box? Even an unbuilt model X or Y bike will sell for a lot more than a mystery box.

Of course, if there are bikes (or parts) in there, you can't really lose money at $10 a box. I've no idea about Japan but the price of bikes is really high at the moment due to covid and the impact on supply/demand.
Originally Posted by PDKL45
Everyone's freaking out on the unopened boxes. But, if the seller has them stored somewhere remote from his office, the hassle of driving there, opening individual boxes, photographing bikes within, resealing the boxes and uploading the images to an uncertain buyer is much more hassle than it's worth.

It looks to be a Russian site listing Japanese auctions. I would assume the Japanese site has fraud protections, as well as OP's credit card company. It's not like OP's buying a closed box from a little truck advertising "Mr. Hashimoto's Mobile Bicycles, wholesale cabbage and non-fake Chinese iPhone store."

I would go for it.
So to conclude this story, I figured out from the bridgestone guys I spoke to that the Anchor/bridgestone branded road bikes were the boxes with grey penny farthing logo, mountain bike was blue. The Japanese writing above the lot no. is the color of the bike. So you can guess what kind and color of bike you can get just not the size or specific model. Unfortunately seems like so did a few other people because that listing got bid up above my risk/reward range since I have no idea what model or size I would be getting. Same thing happened for the mountain bike (cue sad trombone).

His told me over the phone he had a lot of the boxes so I will be camping his profile to see if a road or mountain bike box gets listed and goes for cheap.

On the plus side, it seems like many people pressured the guy to open the boxes because he ended up relisting the unbought ones after opening a few and taking photos. Green colored penny farthing logo turned out to be adult mamachari while the red logo was kids mamachari (Mamachari with mickey mouse and such). While bridgestone city bikes are amazing, I already have one and they are so common it wouldnt be worth the hassle to flip.

Cant seem to post the links since they are in Japanese. Im getting an error message saying the characters are not allowed. You can find the guys profile on Yahoo Auctions Japan, his profile name is momigi2016.

I felt like sherlock holmes did a lost in translation for a while there, was a fun feeling even if no bicycle in the end yet. The hunt for my first non-mamachari bike continues. Not that I dont love my Lococo.
Likes For LeSexyFishorse:
Old 12-10-20, 11:56 PM

Maybe have a look at Araya OP?

Some cool options there, albeit very oriented towards the Japanese market.
Old 12-11-20, 07:29 AM

Bikes: Way too many

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 607 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
Why did that ruin the scam?
Because the scam is to either sell fake units, or to claim units are worth way more than they are in order to make it seem like a good deal i.e. telling you a $50 speaker is worth $500 so you think getting it for $100 is a bargain. If you know what it's actually worth (or should look like), then the scam falls over.
Old 12-11-20, 08:53 AM
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Originally Posted by Herzlos
Because the scam is to either sell fake units, or to claim units are worth way more than they are in order to make it seem like a good deal i.e. telling you a $50 speaker is worth $500 so you think getting it for $100 is a bargain. If you know what it's actually worth (or should look like), then the scam falls over.
Hmm. I don’t know that Googling the brand protects against fakes (or buying, as claimed upthread, a box of bricks), because that depends on the quality of the fake. I’d also assume the products are much likely to be stolen than fakes, though, right? And if that’s true, wouldn’t the pitch to get a good deal be true? Why would they sell stolen stuff above retail value? Seems odd, to me...and isn’t that exactly happens in legit retail outlets?! In any case, I’m not the type to buy in such a scenario, and outside of produce in west Philly or Lima, Peru, I’ve not seen stuff sold out of trucks, so what do I know? I can imagine a scenario where everybody knows the stuff is stolen and dudes are just dumping it to get some cash up. Ripping off the kind of people who buy stuff out of trucks is particularly low.
Old 12-11-20, 12:56 PM
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
In one instance I know of, the seller showed high quality stainless steel kitchenware. When the buyer opened the box, it contained the lowest possible grade aluminum pots and pans.
Old 12-11-20, 02:00 PM
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by Reynolds
In one instance I know of, the seller showed high quality stainless steel kitchenware. When the buyer opened the box, it contained the lowest possible grade aluminum pots and pans.
Ow that’s a scam...and Googling would not have helped. You gotta have some street sense buyin’ stuff off a truck on the street.