Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Dairy fat is safe, and may help guard against strokes.

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-18, 04:42 PM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
The problem with commercially made chocolate milk is that they remove most of the fat and add a lot of sugar in its place. It's ok after a hard workout but most people don't workout hard enough to deserve chocolate milk...Personally if I crave chocolate milk I just make my own... I buy some full fat milk and some plain unsweetened cocoa powder. Mix 1-2 tbsp of cocoa with 2 cups of full fat milk and you get yourself a healthy delicious beverage, I don't even use any sweetener.
I'm going to assume that in this subforum that people are working out hard. In that case replacing glycogen stores is more important to recovery than protein for a cyclist, so that they can train hard the following day or 2.
Old 07-13-18, 05:16 PM
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
I'm going to assume that in this subforum that people are working out hard.
I assume the same thing, and I wasn't referring to anybody on this list.

In that case replacing glycogen stores is more important to recovery than protein for a cyclist, so that they can train hard the following day or 2.
I'd argue that protein is just as important as carbs after a hard ride...Your body is burning certain percentage of protein during exercise and it needs to be replaced.
Old 07-13-18, 05:22 PM

I'd argue that protein is just as important as carbs after a hard ride...Your body is burning certain percentage of protein during exercise and it needs to be replaced.
You don't actually burn much if any protein during a ride except for some you may ingest. Your body isn't going to preferentially catabolize muscle during a ride as long as you have't bonked because amino acids are a poor source of providing energy. Protein only needs to be provided after a hard ride to repair and rebuild muscle but not a significant amount of that occurs during cycling.
Old 07-13-18, 07:16 PM
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3894 Post(s)
Liked 1,943 Times in 1,388 Posts
You don't actually burn much if any protein during a ride except for some you may ingest. Your body isn't going to preferentially catabolize muscle during a ride as long as you have't bonked because amino acids are a poor source of providing energy. Protein only needs to be provided after a hard ride to repair and rebuild muscle but not a significant amount of that occurs during cycling.
I put up this post over in 50+, but I doubt you saw it: Nutrition, nutrition, nutrition

What do you think, especially that study at the bottom? No, not "preferentially catabolize muscle" but there does seem to be breakdown which must be repaired.
Old 07-13-18, 08:42 PM

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by Colnago Mixte
Kids I grew up with who lived on dairies, would swear by raw un-pasteurized milk. They would refuse to drink the pasteurized stuff sold at the supermarket.

Doesn't seem as though you were harmed by it too much. As someone who eats steamed veggies with a ton of butter on them, that butterfat sounds damned good.
The potential for harm can be catastrophic. pasteurization just makes it a lot safer for wide scale storage and distribution. Homogenization however, just makes it look good.
The problem with commercially made chocolate milk is that they remove most of the fat and add a lot of sugar in its place. It's ok after a hard workout but most people don't workout hard enough to deserve chocolate milk...Personally if I crave chocolate milk I just make my own... I buy some full fat milk and some plain unsweetened cocoa powder. Mix 1-2 tbsp of cocoa with 2 cups of full fat milk and you get yourself a healthy delicious beverage, I don't even use any sweetener.
The sugar supplants the need for all that fat. Besides, the caloric count would be so high few people would buy it.

In fact, its actually much more important, since unlike carbs, it is a necessary nutrient. Restoring the carbohydrates are necessary only for fast energy reproduction, and of course, protein sparing.

Last edited by KraneXL; 07-13-18 at 08:48 PM.
Old 07-13-18, 08:47 PM

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
This.

Sounds delicious the way you make it. Sometimes that's great after a long hike, to make a cup of hot chocolate from whole milk and cocoa, and enjoy the stars.
Old 07-13-18, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
I put up this post over in 50+, but I doubt you saw it: Nutrition, nutrition, nutrition

What do you think, especially that study at the bottom? No, not "preferentially catabolize muscle" but there does seem to be breakdown which must be repaired.
agreed, I stated as much. But it isn't substantial especially if properly fueled prior to and before the training. Here's the key point from the article imo
Our estimates of the average (1.65 g/kg/d) and recom-
mended intakes (1.83 g/kg/d) for protein are generally within the habitual intake of male (but
perhaps not female) endurance trained populations [4, 59];
protein just really isn't as much of an issue compared to carbohydrate replenishment, at least for those of us seriously training. Except for in the base season, operating constantly in a glycogen depleted state will hurt your training more than being on the lower end of protein, and you have to remember that excess protein can't be stored, its converted via gluconeogenisis into glycogen or potentially into fat, so a protein heavy recovery drink following a big ride that is low on carbohydrates(ie milk with cocoa powder without sweetener) is going to be less effective for recovery than one with a closer to 4:1 ratio that is recommended for recovery. Big takeaway: dairy fat isn't bad for you, but neither are carbohydrates/sugars if you're training a lot and trying to maximize gains. Protein is important too but not as much as its emphasized and the amounts aren't that much really, ~120g/day for the avg cyclist: 2 chicken breasts and 2 cups of milk or so, not really that hard to do.
Old 07-14-18, 05:03 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest

Sounds delicious the way you make it. Sometimes that's great after a long hike, to make a cup of hot chocolate from whole milk and cocoa, and enjoy the stars.
Here's a tip if ever decide to make it:.. Pure cocoa is very difficult to dissolve in cold milk, so make sure to use a blender.
Old 07-14-18, 10:54 AM
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3894 Post(s)
Liked 1,943 Times in 1,388 Posts
Here's a tip if ever decide to make it:.. Pure cocoa is very difficult to dissolve in cold milk, so make sure to use a blender.
When I bake with cocoa, I find it dissolves easily in oil. I wonder what it would do in cream? This is that thread after all . . .
Old 07-14-18, 01:47 PM
jsk

Bikes: Trek Madone, Blue Triad SL, Dixie Flyer BTB

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
When I bake with cocoa, I find it dissolves easily in oil. I wonder what it would do in cream? This is that thread after all . . .
It's the temp that matters, which is why recipes that use cocoa will often specify to mix it with hot water.
Old 07-14-18, 08:23 PM
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Too many calories make you fat, it doesn't matter the source. There's nothing special about fat, although it tastes good, and removing it often means adding sugar to make up for the flavor. A glass of whole milk is a healthier treat than a glass of chocolate milk. But fats are essential nutrients. And the combination of protein and fat in dairy is very satiating.
But it's the explanation to the kids that it comes from brown cows that makes it the best.

Anything that makes a kid want to drink milk is a bonus. Not a lot of five year olds know the story of Popeye anymore.
Old 07-14-18, 10:00 PM

agreed, I stated as much. But it isn't substantial especially if properly fueled prior to and before the training. Here's the key point from the article imo

protein just really isn't as much of an issue compared to carbohydrate replenishment, at least for those of us seriously training. Except for in the base season, operating constantly in a glycogen depleted state will hurt your training more than being on the lower end of protein, and you have to remember that excess protein can't be stored, its converted via gluconeogenisis into glycogen or potentially into fat, so a protein heavy recovery drink following a big ride that is low on carbohydrates(ie milk with cocoa powder without sweetener) is going to be less effective for recovery than one with a closer to 4:1 ratio that is recommended for recovery. Big takeaway: dairy fat isn't bad for you, but neither are carbohydrates/sugars if you're training a lot and trying to maximize gains. Protein is important too but not as much as its emphasized and the amounts aren't that much really, ~120g/day for the avg cyclist: 2 chicken breasts and 2 cups of milk or so, not really that hard to do.
A gross oversimplification. But I won't make a federal case out of it...this time.
Old 07-15-18, 12:34 AM

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 505 Posts

PSA from a 68yo surviving aggressive prostate cancer patient--- medical research is indicating that dairy, meat, eggs, sugars, foods high in choline are contributors to the growth of aggressive prostate cancer with avoidance being advantageous.

100% cacao
Old 07-15-18, 01:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There is no clear evidence that dairy fat is totally safe or not. It could be good for some people and could be bad for other. It health effects can vary individually. If you can tolerate it then it's OK but if can't then avoid it. Most of the studies go against it safety. It's really a complex topic which doesn't have any specific answer.
Old 07-15-18, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by KraneXL
A gross oversimplification. But I won't make a federal case out of it...this time.
all of a sudden you're a scientist? What is your phd in? Does the detailed answer involve "magic" again?

Last edited by redlude97; 07-15-18 at 02:27 PM.
Old 07-15-18, 03:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Hello07
There is no clear evidence that dairy fat is totally safe or not. It could be good for some people and could be bad for other.
The dose is what makes dairy fat either healthy or unhealthy... Too much of anything can be bad...Too much fish oil can thin out your blood too much and affect blood clotting and too much antioxidants from plants can actually increase the risk of cancer instead of protecting you from cancer... The dose makes the poison.
Old 07-15-18, 07:02 PM
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Nothing is totally safe, and the death rate 100%

All arguments to the contrary are purely semantics.
Old 07-16-18, 01:11 AM

all of a sudden you're a scientist? What is your phd in? Does the detailed answer involve "magic" again?
Wasn't it these scientist that tried to convince us of reefer madness? Are you sure you want to use them as your argument?

In any event, your first question should be who funded the research and/or who stands to gain/lose from its acceptance/rejection? Finally, you don't need a PhD to gain from the research of others, or use the scientific method.
Old 07-16-18, 09:26 AM

@redlude97 isn't quoting scientists from reefer madness.
Old 07-16-18, 10:06 AM

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
If you really want to see all-out warfare, look at some YouTube videos of ketogenic diets versus vegetable only diets. The comments get weird in a big hurry.

In medical school they told us that we had to commit to lifelong study because 50% of what we learned would later be proven bogus. This is especially true regarding nutritional issues.

My understanding is that dietary fats do NOT promote atherosclerosis EXCEPT for trans-fats and 6-omega fats, which everyone pretty much agrees are bad for you, especially trans-fats.

Ghee, EVOO, avocado oil, coconut oit, etc are probably good for you unless you are cursed with very bad genetics. Keep in mind that humans are pretty darned diverse so it is wise not to make too broad a statement.

Old 07-16-18, 10:11 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
/ thread.
Old 07-16-18, 10:46 AM

Wasn't it these scientist that tried to convince us of reefer madness? Are you sure you want to use them as your argument?
Come on now, this is like me saying we shouldn't listen to "those doctors" becuase you quote hacks like Dr. Attia as gospel. Since you seem to be an expert on "reefer madness" can you quote me from the original paper the studies were based on? What was their conclusion?

So if we can't trust "doctors" or "scientists" because a single bad apple ruins the bunch, what are we left with? 99% of the time, the real issue is people taking scientific findings and conclusions in papers and extrapolating out or misinterpreting the results to suit their ends in news articles and youtube videos etc.

In any event, your first question should be who funded the research and/or who stands to gain/lose from its acceptance/rejection? Finally, you don't need a PhD to gain from the research of others, or use the scientific method.
You mean like what I pointed out upthread? Any good scientist already knows this, that's the whole reason why a conflict of interest and funding source section is provided in every peer reviewed paper We can also determine when that matters, and how the funding source isn't an end all be all.
Finally, you don't need a PhD to gain from the research of others, or use the scientific method.
No, you sure don't. I know plenty of people who don't fit into this mould, but who can intelligently dip their toes and gain knowledge, but its easy to spot those that don't have the background knowledge or how to apply those methods to critique and analyze the data and what it actually says. The mark of a bright lad is their ability to not overstep with their own knowledge and to accept and acknowledge their own lack of expertise on various subjects and leave it up to the experts to fill in those gaps.
Old 07-16-18, 07:05 PM
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
Warning - Hijack Imminent

Come on now, this is like me saying we shouldn't listen to "those doctors" becuase you quote hacks like Dr. Attia as gospel. Since you seem to be an expert on "reefer madness" can you quote me from the original paper the studies were based on? What was their conclusion?.
Your sci bro buddies have been busy on the subject, seems like a little science hysteria to me -- ... and I wonder who's been paying for these studies? (Note: I have no personal opinion in this matter...)

Research Showing the Harmful Effects of Marijuana Use
Old 07-16-18, 08:19 PM

This thread is about milk and cheese. Whole vs skim. Were you high when you wrote that?
Old 07-16-18, 10:41 PM

This thread is about milk and cheese. Whole vs skim. Were you high when you wrote that?
he didn't write it, he copied it from an agenda driven website https://kgov.com/negative-effects-of-marijuana-pot-research-shows-cannabis-is-harmful

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.