Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Local bike shop

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Local bike shop

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-11, 08:14 AM

Bikes: Cannondale EVO, CAAD9, Giant cross bike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by lennyparis
Local bike shop will not let me test ride any bike outside of parking lot
Thoughts?
I've sold hundreds and hundreds of road bikes. Test rides are mostly to allow me/us to check your fit. With all due respect, the riders that I know that can really discern the differences in frame reactions and handling don't buy bikes. They are given bikes.

Don't put too much stock in your ability to "feel" a bike. What you will "feel" is whether the sales person has done a good job at putting you on the right size given your budget. A few trips around the parking lot will get that done. In my case, I've had people ride a bike for a half hour or more within my sight that we've outfitted with their clipless pedals.

That's what you need to pay attention to. The time and expertise that person put into determining your sizing and getting you on to the bike that fits that you can afford to buy. The rest is commentary.
Old 03-06-11, 08:22 AM
Sua Ku

Bikes: Trek 5200, BMC SLC01, BMC SSX, Specialized FSR, Holdsworth Criterium

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by roadwarrior
I sell (in road bikes) Trek, Giant, and Cannondale. Trek makes two aluminum frames, and the 3, 4, 5 and 6 Madones.

Giant makes one aluminum frame and the Defy and TCR Advanced, and the TCR SL.

Cannondale makes the 8, 10, and Synpase alumunim frames, plus the Synapse carbon and SL, and the Super Six and SUper Six High mod.

Then there are the WSD and Femmine bikes all three make as well.

Trek makes about 8 sizes (I say about because there are fewer on the WSD's), as does Cannondale, and Giant makes six.

To have a "test model" I'd need one of each in each size so the customer can ride it. I'd have to buy the bikes and stock them and then sell them later at a deep discount since they will have miles on them.

I'd wonder how much of an outlay of cash that would be? And I'm in a multimillion dollar shop. Or are you willing to ride a 56 when you need a 60, or a 52 (which would be unsafe). The vast majority of shops would need more test bikes than what they sell, even if they do business with fewer manufacturers. How will the test ride feel if you are riding a bike 2cm smaller than what you need?

We do parking lot test rides. At several million in bikes and accessories, it's not ever really been a problem. And we have a wonderful test area, safe from traffic.
I wouldn't expect you to have every model and size for testing, not even close. But if I could find an LBS that did have a test bike in a model I was looking for, in my size then I would give them a try.

Out of interest how many test bikes do you have in your (large) store?

Don't these manufacturers help you out? run test days? circulate test bikes?

Agree testing a bike that isn't your size / set up is a pointless endeavor.

When I've tested I've made sure they've had a test model I've wanted to test, in my size, I've used my own pedals, wheels and saddle. I frequent a small a small shop that works with me. Last test ride was on the mechanic's bike, not even a designated test bike.
Old 03-06-11, 08:29 AM

Bikes: 2017 Tarmac Pro, 2014 S-Works Tarmac, 2011 Trek Madone 6.2, 2014 Trek Madone 5.9 & 2009 Specialized Hardtail

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have been going there for years and never had much of an issue as they let me do enough riding at the time
But now I want to ride more as I am spending more money
They will order me a bike and if I don't want it I don't have to buy it
That as compared to not letting me do a test ride makes no sense as they could be stuck with a bike they don't want
Do many of you buy a high end road bike without riding it?
How do you know if it is right bike for you?
There is a local bike shop here that will let you borrow their own stuff to test it out but they don't sell many bike brands
Old 03-06-11, 08:39 AM
Throw the stick!!!!

Bikes: GMC Denali

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 31 Posts
Do many of you buy a high end road bike without riding it?
I have owned several high end bikes and I have never tested one of them. The only road bike I have test rode was my very first one about ten years ago and it was the worst fitting bike I have ever owned.
Old 03-06-11, 09:03 AM

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by rollin
I wouldn't expect you to have every model and size for testing, not even close. But if I could find an LBS that did have a test bike in a model I was looking for, in my size then I would give them a try.

Out of interest how many test bikes do you have in your (large) store?

Don't these manufacturers help you out? run test days? circulate test bikes?

Agree testing a bike that isn't your size / set up is a pointless endeavor.

When I've tested I've made sure they've had a test model I've wanted to test, in my size, I've used my own pedals, wheels and saddle. I frequent a small a small shop that works with me. Last test ride was on the mechanic's bike, not even a designated test bike.
Yeah, once or twice a year each of our three companies comes with test bikes and a van. If we depended on those days only for sales, we'd be out of business.

In our stock companies, we have zero test models. The customer test rides the bike they are buying. In seven years, I've had two people have an issue with this.

Test rides are for fit. That takes little to no time. We also offer a free "dial in" fit that takes about an hour...or they can get a credit towards a computer fit.

It works for us.
Old 03-06-11, 09:17 AM

Bikes: 2017 Tarmac Pro, 2014 S-Works Tarmac, 2011 Trek Madone 6.2, 2014 Trek Madone 5.9 & 2009 Specialized Hardtail

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks
i wrote you a private message
Old 03-06-11, 09:23 AM
Mr. Dopolina

Bikes: KUUPAS, Simpson VR

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 41 Posts
I think the idea that a test ride is important may seem more an issue to those who are buying their first 'expensive' bike or those with little knowledge or experience. For anyone who has owned a few different bikes or has spent a considerable amount of time in the saddle a test ride is far less important.

A good look at a geometry chart tells you most of what you need to know. A good look at the frame tells you a bit more. I ride a new bike every year and have, on more than one occasion, chosen a bike that I have never even seen in person.

Regardless of what the process has been it still takes me a 1000km or so before I've really made up my mind about a bike. That's a pretty long test ride.

Old 03-06-11, 09:28 AM
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
"I think the idea that a test ride is important may seem more an issue to those who are buying their first 'expensive' bike or those with little knowledge or experience."

That was me.
Went from a $15 bike to a $1000 bike. No way I was going to buy it without riding it.

Old 03-06-11, 09:30 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
When I buy a car I leave a copy of my license and my credit card and go for a drive
where i want and without the salesman
on local streets and highways
why would buying a bike be different?
Old 03-06-11, 09:34 AM
Mr. Dopolina

Bikes: KUUPAS, Simpson VR

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 41 Posts
When I buy a car I leave a copy of my license and my credit card and go for a drive
Scroll back up. It's been covered.

Old 03-06-11, 09:42 AM
Throw the stick!!!!

In my area most car lots no longer allow you to take test drives without a salesman, only one car that I have dealt with lately still lets you go without them.
Old 03-06-11, 10:29 AM

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
With a sixteenth of a tank of gas...and if you drove it for 50 miles, I'm getting a discount for the dealer.

I can't sell a ridden dirty bike with miles on it new. I am selling new bikes. You would not be a customer for our shop.

And I have purchased and leased a lot of cars in my life and never have I taken one out for a test drive without a salesperson, but that's just me. BTW..the credit card does no good in a car dealer unless you've got a $40,000 credit line. I'd rather have your insurance card.
Old 03-06-11, 10:44 AM

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale CAAD10

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by pdedes
test rides are mostly useless.
Sadly, I agree with this. Coming from a CAAD9 I really wanted to try out a SuperSix. Well I rode one for about 15 minutes. All I could gather from the test ride is that it was different than my CAAD9. Was this due to the wheels? Geometry? Fit? Bar tape? Pedals? I don't know. I don't know even if it was better, worse, or the same. I do know that it was different.

I don't know, maybe some of you can hop on a bike and in 10 minutes point out all the differences and make a 4K decision based on that one ride. For me, I think I'll stick to exhaustive Internet reviews, forums, YouTube videos and talking to people that own the bikes I am interested in. I couldn't figure crap out from actually riding the thing!
Old 03-06-11, 01:03 PM
I like beans

Bikes: Tarmac Pro, Bianchi Zurigo, Raleigh Gran Sport, Fuji Del Rey, Ironman Centurion

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Test rides are good for the majority of recreational riders out there. I often take test rides myself during lunch hour when I'm working at the shop to get the feel for all of our bikes. It's more than geometry, but that is a huge factor. For instance, I had a 2010 Tarmac Comp and thought that was the bomb for about 300 miles, but then it just started to feel wrong for me. I tried many other bikes to see what geometry I liked better.

Such as I loved the handling of the CLX2.0, which was much more of a traditional geometry bike. I also tried the CX-1 and thought it was really nice, but I hated the ride because it was too light and stiff for me (yeah, I'm weird). It just felt like there was nothing there except for a rocket engine beneath me, which isn't what I like in a bike. In the end decided that the Tarmac geometry was right for me, but the bike was wrong. So I upgraded to a Tarmac Pro and couldn't be happier and I wouldn't have understood what the stiffness, compliance blah blah blah stuff really meant unless I sat my arse down on the bikes for a little while (40 or so miles in this case). What I am saying is that jargon and price can give a decent idea of what you're getting, but feeling it is really helpful.
Old 03-06-11, 01:28 PM
Chaulky

Bikes: Colnago cx-1, Colnago Master

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LowCel
I have owned several high end bikes and I have never tested one of them. The only road bike I have test rode was my very first one about ten years ago and it was the worst fitting bike I have ever owned.
+1

I buy frames without testing. And even though I know my set up measurements, it always takes a few weeks of tweeking to get the bike to feel just right. Also firguring out which wheel set fits best with what frame takes some time.
Old 03-06-11, 01:40 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
In my area most car lots no longer allow you to take test drives without a salesman, only one car that I have dealt with lately still lets you go without them.
I'm sure this is regional, and dependent on how you look. When I bought a car in 2008 we had one dealership where the salesmen rode with us. And that was clearly because he wanted the extra time to push a sale.

I went to 0 dealerships that refused test drives. And, while I'm not a professional car racer I could feel differences between the cars. For example, one made me sick (I didn't buy that car -- but if I were internetz ordering on statistics I'd have bought it).
Old 03-06-11, 01:41 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Everybody seems to be focusing on the theft issue, what about the safety issue? If he is in a particularly urban environment with tons of traffic that doesn't care about cyclists I wouldn't let bikes out of the parking lot either.
Old 03-06-11, 01:45 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by roadwarrior
I sell (in road bikes) Trek, Giant, and Cannondale. Trek makes two aluminum frames, and the 3, 4, 5 and 6 Madones.

Giant makes one aluminum frame and the Defy and TCR Advanced, and the TCR SL.

Cannondale makes the 8, 10, and Synpase aluminum frames, plus the Synapse carbon and SL, and the Super Six and SUper Six High mod.

Then there are the WSD and Femmine bikes all three make as well.

Trek makes about 8 sizes (I say about because there are fewer on the WSD's), as does Cannondale, and Giant makes six.

To have a "test model" I'd need one of each in each size so the customer can ride it. I'd have to buy the bikes and stock them and then sell them later at a deep discount since they will have miles on them.

I'd wonder how much of an outlay of cash that would be? And I'm in a multimillion dollar shop. Or are you willing to ride a 56 when you need a 60, or a 52 (which would be unsafe). The vast majority of shops would need more test bikes than what they sell, even if they do business with fewer manufacturers. How will the test ride feel if you are riding a bike 2cm smaller than what you need?

We do parking lot test rides. At several million in bikes and accessories, it's not ever really been a problem. And we have a wonderful test area, safe from traffic.

Hey, he could go to Bikesdirect, get a great deal, and never see the bike until it arrives on his doorstep.
You sound very jaded.

I agree that it's all a big mess, but there's a few sizes that are massively more common and you could probably guess which models people are likely to want. Whether you'd then want to have long test rides is another issue, but I doubt that a 10 mile test ride is gonna knock much value off a bike.

The risk you take on from that is part of why you get to charge more than bikesdirect.
Old 03-06-11, 01:52 PM
Despite all my rage, I am

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Colnago C-50

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've only test drove one car without the salesman, ever. And, curiously enough, it was a Lotus. Believe me, they should have insisted on tagging along - I would have been much easier on the car.

As for bikes, I purchased my current ride from a local shop here in LA. They let me take the bike for a 30 minute ride, and it had the same effect as a car test-drive - I was sold!
Old 03-06-11, 03:50 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My point is I could test ride in advance and then buy or buy the bike ride it for a while and then return it because I did not like it after all
Bike shop allowed me to do this before and what are they left with? A used bike
Old 03-06-11, 04:11 PM
Throw the stick!!!!

My point is I could test ride in advance and then buy or buy the bike ride it for a while and then return it because I did not like it after all
Bike shop allowed me to do this before and what are they left with? A used bike
If the shop will let you buy it, ride it, and then return it stick with that shop. You aren't going to find too many shops that will do that for you.
Old 03-06-11, 04:35 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
do they have a test bike fleet? something to consider
Old 03-06-11, 05:04 PM

Bikes: 2010 Trek FX 7.5, 2011 Trek 2.1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If the shop will let you buy it, ride it, and then return it stick with that shop. You aren't going to find too many shops that will do that for you.
Most of the shops around here have a 30 day return period and want you get out on it riding. That's at a Trek shop and one that sells Cannondale, Specialized and Giant.

My main shop, who deals only in Trek only has a parking lot at the location I go to, today was the first day that leaving a license was even mentioned, when the sales guy said he didn't need it. At another shop, they told me what streets were good in the area with some hills and low traffic. I just left the wife and that was good enough for them.
Old 03-06-11, 05:05 PM
Go, Dog. Go!

Bikes: '09 Fuji Team; '11 PedalForce QS3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Road Warrior, Bdop, et al, if test rides have limited usefulness, what exactly is the value proposition of the LBS regarding new bike purchases beyond the correct size bike? The subsequent service after purchasing? Your comments could be perceived as making the case for buying online by all but the newbest of buyers. RW, you mentioned Bikes Direct in jest (I believe) but what about boutique online retailers like Competitive Cyclist (though they may not be the best example given their higher prices)?
Old 03-06-11, 05:13 PM
Go, Dog. Go!

Bikes: '09 Fuji Team; '11 PedalForce QS3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also RW, could that same level of service be purchased from your shop after buying the bike elsewhere (online, out of town, and even used)?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.