Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Drops Without Brakes

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Drops Without Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-09, 01:23 PM
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by mihlbach
Are you that stubborn or are you just stupid?
I think he was being funny.

You make good points in your post, though.
Old 03-09-09, 01:34 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
I think he was being funny.
Maybe, but I'm amazed how many times the hooded drops vs. unhooded drops, vs. bullhorns, etc. etc. argument crops up here. You rarely if ever find any of these debates in other subforums, because its not really a debatable issue, once you remove fashion from the equation. Sure there may be a few freds, slow old people, and other people with special physical needs who prefer flatbars, or "'staches or other weird configurations, but for the most part there shouldn't even be any debating the issue.
In this instance, it mostly boils down an illogical resistance to properly installing the appropriate ****ing brake lever(s) onto a pair of handlebars. Makes no sense at all...
Old 03-09-09, 04:00 PM
Large Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
mihlbach, you're obviously unaware of the 6-day racing.
Old 03-09-09, 04:22 PM
Comanche Racing

Bikes: Presto NJS build, Specialized Allez Pro w/ full Dura Ace and Ksyrium SLs, 1990something Specialized Sirrus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe, but I'm amazed how many times the hooded drops vs. unhooded drops, vs. bullhorns, etc. etc. argument crops up here. You rarely if ever find any of these debates in other subforums, because its not really a debatable issue, once you remove fashion from the equation. Sure there may be a few freds, slow old people, and other people with special physical needs who prefer flatbars, or "'staches or other weird configurations, but for the most part there shouldn't even be any debating the issue.
In this instance, it mostly boils down an illogical resistance to properly installing the appropriate ****ing brake lever(s) onto a pair of handlebars. Makes no sense at all...
Yeah, it doesn't crop up on other subforums b/c most types of bikes have a more or less standard way of setting up handlebars. Road bikes almost always use drops with hooded levers/shifters. On fixed gears you see a variety of different handlebar setups including bullhorns, risers, and drops. I am resistant to bullhorns b/c I think they are fugly. FYI, I am not actually riding brakeless. I shouldn't have named this thread as such, so my apologies for that confusing. I don't want to put hooded brakes on though because it is ugly. I will just install a very small cross lever brake for the front. I was just wondering if people find it uncomfortable to ride the tops, or bends, of drops when there are no hoods installed.
Old 03-09-09, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by PedallingATX
Yeah, it doesn't crop up on other subforums b/c most types of bikes have a more or less standard way of setting up handlebars. Road bikes almost always use drops with hooded levers/shifters. On fixed gears you see a variety of different handlebar setups including bullhorns, risers, and drops. I am resistant to bullhorns b/c I think they are fugly. FYI, I am not actually riding brakeless. I shouldn't have named this thread as such, so my apologies for that confusing. I don't want to put hooded brakes on though because it is ugly. I will just install a very small cross lever brake for the front. I was just wondering if people find it uncomfortable to ride the tops, or bends, of drops when there are no hoods installed.
Thanks for making my point.
Old 03-09-09, 05:20 PM
Comanche Racing

Bikes: Presto NJS build, Specialized Allez Pro w/ full Dura Ace and Ksyrium SLs, 1990something Specialized Sirrus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for making my point.
And you surf BF b/c you don't care what your bike looks like? Hooded brakes completely destroy the whole fixed look. I'm not a proponent of people riding brakeless, I don't care what you choose to do w/ your own life, but I think hooded brakes on a fixie are counter-productive. So then what? You put on both hoods and have one set up as a dummy or just saw off one of the levers? That looks even more stupid.
Old 03-09-09, 05:22 PM

And you surf BF b/c you don't care what your bike looks like? Hooded brakes completely destroy the whole fixed look. I'm not a proponent of people riding brakeless, I don't care what you choose to do w/ your own life, but I think hooded brakes on a fixie are counter-productive. So then what? You put on both hoods and have one set up as a dummy or just saw off one of the levers? That looks even more stupid.
The whole fixed look? WTF is that?

Hooded brakes on a fixie counter-productive? UM....no.

Heres a hint: ride more.

Last edited by mihlbach; 03-09-09 at 05:27 PM.
Old 03-09-09, 05:25 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just switched my flopped and chopped bars back to road bars, and am not using hoods. I ride on the tops, occasionally in the drops and sometimes on the tops of the bends where the hoods would be. It's not that bad, I've gotten used to it. I'm using a cross lever on the tops so if I'm braking I switch there. I've gotten used to all the hand positions and don't think it's that big of a deal to ride drops without hoods. If you want, I can post pics later.
Old 03-09-09, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Jake_M
I just switched my flopped and chopped bars back to road bars, and am not using hoods. I ride on the tops, occasionally in the drops and sometimes on the tops of the bends where the hoods would be. It's not that bad, I've gotten used to it. I'm using a cross lever on the tops so if I'm braking I switch there. I've gotten used to all the hand positions and don't think it's that big of a deal to ride drops without hoods. If you want, I can post pics later.
Thats what I didn't like most about riding without hoods. If your riding style incorporates use of a front brake (which is faster than riding brakeless) you have to constantly move to the top position for your lever to be within reach. A cross lever is really limiting for going fast around traffic, drafting other riders, or descending a hill fixed at 35+ mph in the drops and having to change hand positions to reach the brake lever to stop at the intersection at the bottom. With road lever/hoods your brake lever(s) are always within reach.
If your are going to have a brake and destroy the precious "fixed look" in the process, you might as well reap all the advantages of it being there.
Old 03-09-09, 05:43 PM
Real Men Ride Ordinaries

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Jake_M
I've gotten used to all the hand positions and don't think it's that big of a deal to ride drops without hoods.
Generally speaking, I prefer to adapt my bike to me, rather than force myself to adapt to my bike.
Old 03-09-09, 06:01 PM
Comanche Racing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The whole fixed look? WTF is that?

Hooded brakes on a fixie counter-productive? UM....no.

Heres a hint: ride more.
Um actually I have been racing road bikes for about two years. I am building a fixed gear because I like the way they look and I want to have a beater bike. The fixed look is that minimalist, stripped down look that fixed gear bikes have. You must be quite thick if you don't understand that. In my normal road bike I'm all about function over looks, but on a fixed gear bike I will commute with, I want it to look good. Is there a problem with that?

Last edited by PedallingATX; 03-09-09 at 06:04 PM.
Old 03-09-09, 08:52 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Counter....productive? Ok then.

So what you're actually going for is a "minimalist" look, not a "fixed gear" look.
Old 03-09-09, 09:06 PM
Large Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Um actually I have been racing road bikes for about two years. I am building a fixed gear because I like the way they look and I want to have a beater bike. The fixed look is that minimalist, stripped down look that fixed gear bikes have. You must be quite thick if you don't understand that. In my normal road bike I'm all about function over looks, but on a fixed gear bike I will commute with, I want it to look good. Is there a problem with that?
so, you're a poseur?
Old 03-09-09, 09:07 PM
Don't really have a bike.

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i cant believe this is an argument, i ride drops with a bmx brake lever and switching up on down hill is not bad, i ride in the drops almost all the time unless just cruising slowly around places. just put your drops on and dont come back to the thread haha if you dont like the hand positions change to different bars but dont need to start a thread everytime.

just ride.
Old 03-09-09, 09:09 PM
Comanche Racing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, I'm going for a minimalist look. I assumed that y'all would know what I meant when I said "fixie look." Isn't minimalist the look that MOST fixies are trying to achieve anyways? Geez, i didn't think I would get so flamed for just using the term "fixie look" I know I'm new to BF, and I'm new to the fixed gear thing, but seriously, don't we all know what that means? ANYWAYS, I think that I'm going to give the hood-less drops a try and see how it goes. I got the drops for free, anyways. I'll install a cross lever brake, and hopefully this will be comfortable enough to use frequently. Otherwise I'll have to flop 'n chop some bullhorns or something. OK, thanks to those that gave legit. responses.
Old 03-09-09, 09:10 PM
Comanche Racing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Geordi Laforge
so, you're a poseur?
I hope your kidding haha.
Old 03-09-09, 09:16 PM
Don't really have a bike.

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ATX for the win.
Old 03-09-09, 09:19 PM
the barbarian

Bikes: Independent Fabrications Crown Jewel, Surly Steamroller(FG), Abici Podium (road)

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
As a seasoned road rider (yes, I have a drawer full of penis hugging spandex), i have to say, for my fixed around town/commuter bike, after having road drops, track drops, bullhorns etc. I found that risers are by far the most comfortable. and yes, I have and make love to, a Bianchi pista
Old 03-09-09, 09:28 PM
Rumblefish

Bikes: 1973 Crescent Pepita Single Speed,1978 Raleigh Competition G.S.,1976 Raleigh Super Course MKII,1970's Motobecane Super Touring Fixed Gear, 1980's Denti Road Tech Five,Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo,1973 Atala Giro,Cheap MTB Tandem,Schwinn World Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you're using an open face stem, just try a couple bars. Most cross levers are hinged, so just tape a few bars and try them out. It took me a few tries to realize I like track drops. It, like most other topics in these forums, comes down to your comfort, which is an unknown variable to us. IMO trial and error seems to be the best way to get any bike fitted to your body and riding style. It never hurts to have the option to switch bars, for example: sometimes my back hurts, on those days I ride a more upright bike with riser bars.
Old 03-09-09, 09:51 PM
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 3610 Post(s)
Liked 3,434 Times in 1,952 Posts
Are you that stubborn or are you just stupid?
No, I just think a drop bar offers an abundance of comfortable hand positions even without vestigial brake levers attached, regardless of whether you're riding on the road or on the track.
Old 03-09-09, 10:11 PM
Rumblefish

Bikes: 1973 Crescent Pepita Single Speed,1978 Raleigh Competition G.S.,1976 Raleigh Super Course MKII,1970's Motobecane Super Touring Fixed Gear, 1980's Denti Road Tech Five,Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo,1973 Atala Giro,Cheap MTB Tandem,Schwinn World Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
No, I just think a drop bar offers an abundance of comfortable hand positions even without vestigial brake levers attached, regardless of whether you're riding on the road or on the track.
I will vouch that JDT is not stupid, in fact, from what I've seen he's probably forgotten more about bikes than we will ever know about bikes...Show a little respect, he'll probably have the answer you seek if you don't lose interest in bicycles after the current "boom" goes bust.
Old 03-09-09, 11:37 PM
Permanent Beater Rider

Bikes: Windsor Hour

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
this
/thead
all you other kids can shut the flip up.
Old 03-09-09, 11:48 PM

Bikes: Olmo, Psynyde, Fuji, Gios, Scrambler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Speaking of the "boom", here in India, which is still slightly cushioned from the recession, we are, all of a sudden, hearing news of International bicycle brands like Cannondale and Giant planning a quick entry. I think the recession in the West is making these businesses look around for potential markets.
Old 03-09-09, 11:50 PM
Large Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wow.
Old 03-10-09, 12:02 AM
Rumblefish

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Prabuddhadg
Speaking of the "boom", here in India, which is still slightly cushioned from the recession, we are, all of a sudden, hearing news of International bicycle brands like Cannondale and Giant planning a quick entry. I think the recession in the West is making these businesses look around for potential markets.
I don't doubt this...I was speaking more along the lines of the "bikes as a fashion statement" boom. When bikes go out of style, people will forget about them, just like so many other "fads" while some folks will continue as they always have in their love of two wheelers. These people will respect the opinions of other, more experienced, wrenchers and riders as they realize that's where the real knowledge is to be had.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.