Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Nashbar customers beware?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-09, 04:17 PM
SA[in]NE

Bikes: Trek 7200

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

https://insidetheoutsideblog.blogspot...rs-beware.html

Friend of mine who does Tri's sent this to me as they posted it on his club's forum.

And having been victim of this kind of thing back in April and not knowing how it happened this begins to shed some light on where all these crap charges and PIA phone calls may have come from.

I ended up closing my card's account and had to get a new cell phone number.

Not totally convinced, but will make me pause before I order there again...more reason to support my LBS I guess.
Old 07-16-09, 04:23 PM
Happy old man

Bikes: Trek 4500 mountain bike, Trek 7500fx disk, and Trek 2200 Road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This could happen with any place that you use a credit card. My wife had it happen to her a few years when she used it at local restaurant.
I had it happen on a card that I had never used.

In New England we have nine months of winter and three months of damned poor sledding.
Old 07-16-09, 04:23 PM
Cascadian Nationalist

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I had not made the connection to nashbar (though it makes sense now) but I had several small charges made, and got a TON of telemarketers for a while as well. Interesting to know where it came from.
Old 07-16-09, 04:27 PM
not a role model

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The same rumor is spreading about probikekit as well.

Whatever... as long as you're watching your charges it's a non-issue.
Old 07-16-09, 04:49 PM

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 532 Post(s)
Quoted: 3281 Post(s)
Liked 4,029 Times in 1,487 Posts
Originally Posted by JeffS
Whatever... as long as you're watching your charges it's a non-issue.
I completely disagree. Yes, I was able to get the charges taken off when this happened to me, but it was a total PIA...hours and hours of effort, weeks of hassle. I got the letter from Nashbar yesterday saying that they got hacked last December and they've known about it (and, one hopes, had it fixed) since April or something like that.
Old 07-16-09, 04:53 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
By coincidence my wife called me at work today asking about some charges she thought were strange. Neither of us made them so we cancelled the card and are now in the process of trying to get refunds.
Old 07-16-09, 05:54 PM
pedaler

Bikes: 2023 Brompton C Line Electric

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Check this thread and the coupon thread. There is quite a discussion going on there, too.
Old 07-16-09, 07:03 PM
Female Member

Bikes: Citizen Tokyo (Silver), Schwinn Collegiate (1980's)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't buy anything directly through Nashbar. I go on Amazon, order myself a gift certificate in the amount of the items I want to spend and then buy through Amazon since Nashbar is a seller there. The items are the same price as on the official Nashbar website.

The pro is that Nashbar NEVER EVER sees your cc info since you pay Nashbar with the Amazon gift certificate. The con is that you can't apply any coupons that you might have from the Nashbar website or catalog.

Personally, it's worth it because identity theft, cc theft and harassing telemarketer phone calls are a LOT worse.
Old 07-16-09, 07:16 PM
Often on Fritz

Bikes: Franken-Fritz, Horse-Feathers, Junker

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yeah my card was hacked a few months ago, then recently I got a letter in the mail informing me about their security breach. However, a 30% off coupon ALSO came with the letter and the fraud I fell victim to was taken care of fully by my bank. I'm just glad I found out from where my info was stolen. I'll certainly be more wary but that discount is a pretty nice offer.
Old 07-16-09, 07:19 PM
billyymc

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
It took the guy in the link an hour to cancel his credit card? One credit card? Did he walk to the company?

Old 07-16-09, 08:03 PM
surfrider

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by billyymc
It took the guy in the link an hour to cancel his credit card? One credit card? Did he walk to the company?
It took me about an hour on the phone with my CC company, too. We went through all the charges on the last month's bill, plus all the more recent charges, so I could make sure the good companies that were legitimately charging me (and had made the effort to make sure their internet transaction systems were secure) would get paid when the balance was transfered to a new account.

Old 07-16-09, 08:08 PM
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 2,218 Times in 1,490 Posts
Does anybody do a search before starting a new thread? There's a thread on this same subject that started in March.
Old 07-16-09, 08:27 PM

Bikes: Cannondale T700s and a few others

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Add me to the list. Had it happened in the spring and had to get a new card issued. We thought it was stolen at a restaurant that we had recently been too. The card company actually caught it and called me. Timing is right that it happened from Nashbar. I had placed an order with them late in the fall. Itunes and some pressure washing supply place.. I don't even have a MP3 player.

Unfortunately I just place another order with them a couple weeks ago. Hope it doesn't happen again.

Let me start going over bills.
Old 07-16-09, 09:00 PM

Bikes: Mondonico Road, Novaro Randonee Touring

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
interesting thread. Kind of freaked me out as I buy from them occasionally, and did so in this time frame. However, I never accept the option for my card info to be stored, and used the "guest" log in. So it looks like I didn't get hit.
Old 07-16-09, 11:18 PM
mjw

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a few strange charges on my credit card that I use for everything. The credit card company quickly noticed the charges and disabled my card. I had ordered from Nashbar in the last year but also shopped at many other places so who's to know if Nashbar had anything to do with it.
Old 07-17-09, 04:37 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I had this happen either through Nashbar or Niagara Cycle Works. My solution, once the new Discover Card arrived, was to use the unique CC number feature they offer. Now every online store has its own number, only good at that store, so the risk of another person cleaning up on airline tickets, net flicks and ipod downloads on my CC number are pretty much gone.
Old 07-17-09, 06:06 AM
Belt drive!

Bikes: 2011 Trek Soho DLX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Happened to me as well, about 2 months ago. Everyone should monitor their charges regularly.

I disputed the charge, then got a new credit card number. Problem solved. I received a "Make Money with Google" CD in the mail, wrote, "Refused: Return to sender" on it, and that was the last I heard of 'em. I will not, however, buy from Nashbar again. Not directly, at least.

The funny thing was reviewing recent charges with the credit fraud guy.
"Bubba's bar?" "Yep."
"Burlington beverages?" "Yep."
"Joe's tavern?" "Uh huh."
"Tom's taproom?" "Yah."
"Vermont bail bondsmen?" "Er..." Just kidding.

Last edited by vtjim; 07-17-09 at 06:10 AM.
Old 07-17-09, 06:33 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Same exact thing happened to me except no letter. At least I know where they got the CC info. I was getting kind of paranoid.
Old 07-17-09, 07:13 AM
not a role model

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Andy_K
I completely disagree. Yes, I was able to get the charges taken off when this happened to me, but it was a total PIA...hours and hours of effort, weeks of hassle.

Might want to look into a better credit card company then. It doesn't have to be that way.
Old 07-17-09, 07:24 AM

Bikes: '09 Surly Cross Check, '05 Specialized Allez Comp, '08 Specialized Langster, Iro Mark V

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had issue with Nashbar too. I now get a bunch of spam on my email account that I had linked with them when I ordered. I had none since I place this order. Luckly I used the paypal plugin that generates a one time CC# for purchases. I will not be ordering from them any time soon if at all.
Old 07-17-09, 08:26 AM
Needing more power Scotty

Bikes: 2006 Trek T-80 (commuter) 1982 Bianchi SS (classic 12 speed)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Amex actually notified me of a breach of information, reviewed my purchase history for potential fraud, and issued me a new card two weeks before Nashbar sent me a letter stating that they had a security breach.

Gotta love Amex.
Old 07-17-09, 08:40 AM
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 2,218 Times in 1,490 Posts
Originally Posted by riddei
Amex actually notified me of a breach of information, reviewed my purchase history for potential fraud, and issued me a new card two weeks before Nashbar sent me a letter stating that they had a security breach.

Gotta love Amex.
Same thing happened with my wife's AMEX except AMEX called 6 weeks before Nashbar. One charge AMEX didn't catch but quickly credited when I called was two airline tickets from Cairo to London.

Apparently the total charges were large enough for Nashbar to call my wife rather than send a letter.

Nashbar must use the lowest price company to do their transactions. There's a reason they are inexpensive - such lax security!
Old 07-17-09, 10:27 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've never had a single problem with Nashbar... made 5 orders in the last 3 months. They always deliver within 5 business days, and never a single issue. This is odd... I'm sorry to hear about everyone else's problems though. I'll take care to watch my CC more vigilantly.
Old 07-17-09, 11:49 AM
One speed: FAST !

Bikes: Ebay Bikes... =)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
paypal plugin to the rescue!

1 time use card.
Old 07-17-09, 06:57 PM
Share the road.

Bikes: 1992 Rocky Mountain Fusion, Yuba Mundo, 2008 Brompton M3L, 2021 Espin Nero

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 22 Posts
Did y'all get the Nashbar letter? I received notice from them on Jul 6. Apparently some names, email addresses, web account passwords, and credit or debit card information of some of their valuable customers was compromised.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.