Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Poor old Stumpy - 1993 StumpJumper

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Poor old Stumpy - 1993 StumpJumper

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-21, 09:37 AM

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,472 Times in 2,079 Posts
Old mountain bikes of course make excellent touring bikes and have been used for that purpose by a great many people. The gearing is very good for touring and they have room for fat tires and fenders. There are lots of ways of mounting touring gear on bikes to deal with the chainstays being generally shorter than on touring bikes (although the first gen mountain bikes from the early 80s often had long chainstays).
Likes For bikemig:
Old 03-11-21, 09:56 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 13 Posts
that's a 93? some of them came with a suspension fork, think they called it Future Shock.
Old 03-11-21, 10:00 AM
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6222 Post(s)
Liked 4,222 Times in 2,368 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
Old mountain bikes of course make excellent touring bikes and have been used for that purpose by a great many people. The gearing is very good for touring and they have room for fat tires and fenders. There are lots of ways of mounting touring gear on bikes to deal with the chainstays being generally shorter than on touring bikes (although the first gen mountain bikes from the early 80s often had long chainstays).
Some old mountain bikes make okay touring bikes. Many don’t. By 1993, the geometry was rapid changing towards making mountain bike much better mountain bikes. I’m not sure how you deal with mounting traditional touring gear on a mountain bike to solve the shorter chainstay problem since there really isn’t any way to push the bags further back to avoid heel strike. Yes, you can use bikepacking gear but bike packing gear is a recent invention (about 2007) and has its own issues.

But longer chainstays don’t just make heel strike less of an issue. The longer chainstays of a touring bike serve another purpose of putting more of the load ahead of the axle making for a more stable ride. Short stays puts more of the load further behind the axle which makes the bike less stable. The tail starts to wag the dog.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 03-11-21, 10:10 AM

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
Interesting about the fork paint. Maybe a replacement with a "close enough" paint job?
I prefer the silver rims fwiw.
My '92 Comp is a blast to ride, although there are no mountains near me so it's relegated to (gasp!) all-rounder/path status. I think you'll enjoy yours.
Likes For due ruote:
Old 03-11-21, 10:16 AM
Off grid off road

Bikes: Corratec Xvert, Peugeot Origin 30, GT Outpost, Kona Cinder Cone ‘93 Specialized StumpJumper, Ritchey mtb

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by due ruote
Interesting about the fork paint. Maybe a replacement with a "close enough" paint job?
I prefer the silver rims fwiw.
My '92 Comp is a blast to ride, although there are no mountains near me so it's relegated to (gasp!) all-rounder/path status. I think you'll enjoy yours.
Thanks!
I think the paint is original judging by the meagre remains of the fork decals.

It is hill where we are, Rocky and forests, some incredible goat tracks !!
Old 03-11-21, 10:22 AM
Off grid off road

Bikes: Corratec Xvert, Peugeot Origin 30, GT Outpost, Kona Cinder Cone ‘93 Specialized StumpJumper, Ritchey mtb

Originally Posted by klasse
that's a 93? some of them came with a suspension fork, think they called it Future Shock.
I since uncovered the bb stamping and it says 92M2657, could it be a '92, I wonder.
Old 03-11-21, 10:41 AM
bOsscO

Bikes: 2024 Spec Crux, 2015 Norco Search S1, 93 Mongoose IBOC COMP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 212 Posts
Agree on silver wheels if keeping the silver seat post and stem/bars.
Old 03-11-21, 11:46 AM

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 471 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Some old mountain bikes make okay touring bikes. Many don’t. By 1993, the geometry was rapid changing towards making mountain bike much better mountain bikes. I’m not sure how you deal with mounting traditional touring gear on a mountain bike to solve the shorter chainstay problem since there really isn’t any way to push the bags further back to avoid heel strike. Yes, you can use bikepacking gear but bike packing gear is a recent invention (about 2007) and has its own issues.

But longer chainstays don’t just make heel strike less of an issue. The longer chainstays of a touring bike serve another purpose of putting more of the load ahead of the axle making for a more stable ride. Short stays puts more of the load further behind the axle which makes the bike less stable. The tail starts to wag the dog.

I won't debate you as I know you know your stuff..and then some..but the issue with broad brush generalities is that no one rides a generality..they ride a specific bike. I'm guessing the Spec Stumpjumper/Rockhopper frame geometries were about the same as Treks in the 1993 timeframe(71* HT, 73* ST angles..same as the Trek 520 tourer, 750 Multitrack, and Surly LHT until recently). "Generalities" while useful, can steer people away from very good options. I converted my '93 Trek 970 to a tourer. Very comfortable and capable bike. My size 12 riding shoes don't come close to any heelstrike issues(near 60L pannier set in back). While I don't doubt for a second that pannier weight behind the rear axel isn't a good thing, in practice, with about 23 pounds back there, I don't notice any issues at all(I've experienced tail-wag in the past with another bike). My stock low gear is 22.5 GI..ya..a bit high compared to the preferred 16-18 inches, but I don't tour in the mountains and so far I've seldom shifted into the low gear. If it becomes an issue at some point..I'll address it then. My bike would be inadequate for you & the trips you take. It isn't the perfect adventure bike by any means, but it was fun to build and is working great for me.. a pleasure to ride, loaded or not. Super stable platform...with how I use it.

Some numbers I assembled for comparison's sake(prior to converting to a tourer)

Bike before drop bar conversion and front rack addition..no recent pics yet:
Old 03-11-21, 02:01 PM
Off grid off road

Originally Posted by fishboat
Bike before drop bar conversion and front rack addition..no recent pics yet:
Suddenly I like the black wheels with silver stem & post.... mmm lovely bike sir.
Old 03-11-21, 04:11 PM
Some Weirdo

Bikes: '86 Schwinn Prelude, '91 Scott Sawtooth, '73 Raleigh "Grand 3"

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 92 Posts
Black wheels all the way.
Old 03-11-21, 04:54 PM

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1092 Post(s)
Liked 936 Times in 601 Posts
Originally Posted by Deepcherry
I since uncovered the bb stamping and it says 92M2657, could it be a '92, I wonder.
'92 Catalog
https://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/...essories92.pdf
'93
https://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/...ec_Bikes93.pdf

Maybe if you can translate German it may help.
Likes For 2cam16:
Old 03-11-21, 05:32 PM
Off grid off road

Originally Posted by 2cam16
Scheisse!! Kann ich nicht mein fahrrad finden!

Aber vielen dank.
Likes For Deepcherry:
Old 03-12-21, 06:13 AM
Off grid off road

Here is the latest, for now it is just missing brakes (cantis for sure), chain and shifters, along with the cabling which I love doing, as it is the last job before tuning and maiden flight.
A real boring Shimano junkpile hotchpotch of Deore and Exage LX and STX, STX-RC rims. For now I have put on a riser bar instead of the flat bar due to this low and long Kalloy stem the Stumpy came with.
Those clean Mavic rims with Ritchey rubber make any old bike look fresh again.

It looks quite chirpy in this setup, though I am tempted to try the black version too. I did up a red '88 Hardrock with black wheels and components and it was beautiful.

As a side note, lacking the chain, one crank arm, one pedal, shifters and brake system, it weighs 22lb. I think this thing is going to be a hoot.

That BB axle is really short, so check out the pic of the really minimal clearance (<1mm) between the ring bolts and the chain stay. What is the recommended clearance?
..might be pushing it a bit.

Last edited by Deepcherry; 03-13-21 at 04:24 PM.
Likes For Deepcherry:
Old 03-13-21, 07:02 AM
Off grid off road

I have been looking at the various methods of non-mechanical and non-paint damaging rust removal, and I still find that a paper kitchen towel soaked in household white vinegar left overnight works miracles.

This rust patch looked awfully pitted, but the vinegar treatment and light rubbing with the same paper towel gets me to this state.

I am not going for full concourse with this frame, but I will be touching up wherever it needs it, bit by bit, to get a uniform finish once again.

And there is that long-since defunct local dealer's sticker, well worth saving.

just working along the chain stay with vinegar and paper towel

Last edited by Deepcherry; 03-14-21 at 05:45 AM.
Likes For Deepcherry:
Old 03-13-21, 07:45 AM
Off grid off road

... and sizing up the STX cantis. I love the STX stuff with its dark chrome finish. These match both the headset and RD, and I have an STX bottom-pull FD but it needs an adapter to fit the seat tube.

Last edited by Deepcherry; 03-15-21 at 03:40 PM.
Likes For Deepcherry:
Old 03-13-21, 11:25 AM
Off grid off road

I suppose there should be a plastic sleeve within the noodle to prevent cable abrasion. Rear brake mocked up and working with horrible colour-matched pads I had spare.

Last edited by Deepcherry; 03-27-21 at 09:28 AM.
Old 03-14-21, 03:54 PM
Off grid off road

This is the likely working setup, I am pleased with the quality of the components and also the simple aesthetics. I refitted the lightweight saddle it came with, which is very comfortable. The grotesque brake pads must go, and I should decide how to or not to modify the stem with a noodle for the front cantis. So far I have spent zero extra over the price of this bike, and I aim to spend nothing to get it running well.
I hope to take it for a spin this week before breaking it all down again and tackling the frame cosmetics, which is the biggest job in this project.

Likes For Deepcherry:
Old 03-15-21, 06:34 AM
Off grid off road

At some point I will try to find the correct stem, but for the moment this one will do. Do we trust drilled stems for cable routing?
Time will tell.
Old 03-15-21, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by Deepcherry
At some point I will try to find the correct stem, but for the moment this one will do. Do we trust drilled stems for cable routing?
Time will tell.
Looking good!
The frame looks great from a distance, and given where you will be riding it, best not to have a fussy finish to worry about.
I also would not worry about the stem. Curious though - was it factory drilled or is that DIY? Either way, it seems to me it would take a lot to break that stem.
Old 03-15-21, 12:27 PM
Off grid off road

Thanks.
Yep, I drilled it, 2mm hole below and 6mm up top.
I have not done any calculations but my engineer's ears tell me it will be great for the use I will put it to.

Last edited by Deepcherry; 03-15-21 at 05:21 PM.
Old 03-16-21, 05:30 AM
Off grid off road

The best compromise for what I want, I lifted these 'controversial' LX brifters off a rusty alpinestars. They make for a tidy, uncluttered forward cockpit.

The silver crank rightly had to go back to its DB Ascent, but this black 400 looks like it belongs with the matching mech.

Now I have the build sorted, it will be time to really strip it down and deep clean, paint and polish. The patina shall remain beneath a waxy gloss. But first a little play.

Last edited by Deepcherry; 03-16-21 at 11:45 AM.
Old 03-16-21, 05:48 AM

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,003 Times in 488 Posts
That's looking good. 90s MTBs used a blend of black and silver, so some mixing is ok IMO. Don't forget to treat the inside of the frame for rust, as this is pretty thin steel. These can be fairly light. Both of these are way under 24 lbs with pedals with basic builds. The secret is the fork, its a 600 grammer.

23 lbs 7oz

23lbs 5oz
Likes For DorkDisk:
Old 03-16-21, 06:54 AM
Off grid off road

Agreed, I am loving the simple black & silver component mix over a red frame. Thanks for the heads-up re tube interiors.

26 1/4 lb. I don't think I can get it much lighter and yet keep it mountain friendly.
It is going to make lovely wheelies.

Last edited by Deepcherry; 03-16-21 at 08:44 AM.
Old 03-16-21, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by DorkDisk

23lbs 5oz
Whoa. That’s impressive. I bet my 92 Comp (looks like same frame size) is a couple # heavier than that, at least. But I have a replacement fork, stock crankset, fenders...still, it’s a very lively ride.
Old 03-17-21, 09:24 PM
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 917 Posts
Originally Posted by fishboat
Silver wheels/spokes if you're going to keep the silver seatpost and stem. I have a similar vintage red Trek 970..silver looks right to me.

Old mtn bikes like this remind me of the movie "The Red Violin"..good flick if you haven't seen it.

I recently came across a Trek 950 in similar condition, although surprisingly good mechanically. I really don't need another project, but I'm tempted to save it from a worse fate for the sake of saving it alone...eventually move it to..someone.. that will enjoy it. It's currently on a (short) trajectory that'll end in a dumpster, for no other reason than the owner doesn't care.

(cycco certainly has a valid point..that's where The Red Violin memory came from...one life morphing into another and another and another..hopefully some day far in the future someone will wrap this bike around a tree and it'll become one last, great campfire story)
I hope you rescued that 950. They aren't making them anymore; it would be a shame to have one less in the world. If nothing else, you could sell it here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.