Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Segway 'driver' ticketed!

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Segway 'driver' ticketed!

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-04, 05:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dean Kamen actively sought to get the approval in all of the US states to allow the Segway on sidewalks. As one of the posts said most states have approved the Segway for use on sidewalks. Massachusetts has not and just refused to do so siting the possible bad outcome between a Segway moving at 8-10 mph and pedestrians. Segway responded by saying that they had never had a single report of such an accident. Dean did this because he was well aware that the Segway is not a "vehicle" in the sense a motor scooter, or a motorcycle is. Mass. is similar to the laws posted for NY in that this vehicle would be considered a vehicle if used on the streets and since it is motorized it would have to conform to the rules for motorized vehicles. Scooters, 49cc motorbikes ATV's and the like; I always thought would fall into the same category but I see enough of them, that they are all riding the streets illegally, or they fall into some category I am not aware of.

As far as the use of the Segway 12 mph max speed and only for an hour. You are still exposed to the elements and a 4000 pricetag. You can buy one heck of a bike for go farther and go faster.
Old 10-05-04, 06:55 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 6 Posts
I just can't imagine there would be many sales of these things at $4000 for what it can do.

Anyone with that amount of money for something like this would drive and for the rest of us who don't have that money, we would walk, take a bus, or ride a bike
Old 10-05-04, 07:56 PM

Bikes: Felt F5, Fuji Robaix Pro and a KHS Mountain Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dahon.Steve
I've always said the Segway should have been marketed for those with disabilities. Under this condition, it would have been protected under the Americans with disabilities Act and would be allowed everywhere.
He actually took the technology from a wheel chair that could do two or four wheels and make the person essentially stand up. Revolutionary was a marketing word nothing more.
Old 10-05-04, 09:07 PM
Every lane is a bike lane

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia - passionfruit capital of the universe!
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by closetbiker
I just can't imagine there would be many sales of these things at $4000 for what it can do.
It all depends. If a few fashion "trend-setters" slap a "kewl, man!" tag on it, people will start doing irrational things with their wallets when they get near it.

That is all.
Old 10-06-04, 05:36 AM
Sumanitu taka owaci

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jgeezer
Dean Kamen actively sought to get the approval in all of the US states to allow the Segway on sidewalks.
Ah, so!
Old 10-06-04, 05:54 AM
Sumanitu taka owaci

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by John E
How can the mere act of operating a Segway on a public road possibly justify $8K Canadian ($6K U.S.) worth of fines? This is (evidently legal) highway robbery by the government.

I understand the anti-Segway arguments many of you have posted, but I still think the Segway represents a useful transportation option for some of the people some of the time. (The nearest bus stop is 1.6km/1mi from my office. If I were temporarily or permanently unable to walk or to ride a bicycle, I would want the option of using a Segway.) We do have to regulate Segway use in a manner which protects and respects the safety and rights of pedestrians and bicyclists; licensing might be a start.
I can't disagree with anything John said. From what I understand, Dean Kamen also invented a motorized wheelchair that, using balancing technology similar to Segway, actually climbs stairs! You can't argue with the need for an invention like that.

Which makes me think: if I could choose between a Segway and a motorized wheelchair of similar capability, which would I prefer? I really might rather sit than stand. Then again, perhaps motoring through a crowd of pedestrians on a Segway might be easier than in a wheelchair because you can see over their heads.

As some have noted, for people whose work requires them to cover a large area, and for whom walking is not practical, Segway seems to fill a need. I just hope that people don't opt to ride one instead of walking, if they are able. Our over-dependence on motor transport is already taking a huge toll on public health.

Segway probably could not be blamed for creating any health problems, however. If it becomes another popular transportational device that destroys the one last opportunity modern people have to get daily exercise, i.e., walking, that would be based on personal choice. In that case, Segway's popularity would not be a cause of the problem, but a symptom.
Old 10-06-04, 05:56 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
People are missing the key aspect that makes a bike a bike. Pedals

Okay - there are hand-powered trikes for those with lower leg disabilities. No pedals. Are they "Bikes" also? I see them on the trails around here all the time, and there is a whole bunch of them that annually participate in "Ride the Rockies."
Old 10-06-04, 05:02 PM
Vancouver, BC

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Rocky Mountain Equipe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
there is no section of the Motor Vehicle Act that governs Segways...When you get right down to it, there are no [specific] rules and regulations governing the use of Segways in Vancouver or Canada...Until we clarify what the laws are, we don't know where we stand on it"
How can that be interpretted as making Segways illegal? If there's no law, then there's no law to break.
Old 10-07-04, 07:52 AM
Disgruntled Planner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think those things are absolutely the most ******** byproducts of consumer culture that I have ever seen. I see these damn things on teh bike trails around here, and all I can think is, "Nice to see people out getting exercise!" I watched a promo ad for the Segway once, and the announcer actually said, "Don't worry, teh Segway is NOT an alternative to driving. It's an improvement on walking." I thought that said it all.
Old 10-07-04, 06:04 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 51 Posts
I love the concept and the size of the fine--if we are to have reasonable cities and sane transportation policies, government has to grow the balls needed to treat private motor vehicle owners as second-class citizens.
Old 10-07-04, 07:40 PM
Specialized Member

Bikes: 2004 Specialized Allez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the segway is a extreamly dumb idea. you pay 4000 bucks for something that has all this balancing technology thats totaly useless and heres why. Read a full review on how dumb segway is at this URL

https://maddox.xmission.com/c.cgi?u=s...it_needs_to_be
Old 10-10-04, 03:55 PM

Bikes: Peugeot, what else?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello all,
Just read all your thought about the Segway.
I am the guy who was charged in NF for driving the Segway on the road, well within the bicycle law by the way.
I have to say, I thought you would be more willing to share the road with the motor assisted bike that the Segway is, minus the pedals.
Hey this is the 21 Century! I have and still ride my bike, but to go to the office without pespiration and a lot more fun than a car or even a bike, you got to try the Segway and not just for 5 minutes.
Warning it will grow on you, yes it is expensive, like anything new on the market, but as sales number grow, price will come down.
You can't stop progress they say. Look how many single people ride in their car each day, half of them could probably ride a Segway, see how much space and energy we would save! That's progress.

PierreL
Old 10-10-04, 04:01 PM

Good to hear from you.

Let us know how the case works out.
Old 10-21-08, 08:04 AM
pedalphile

Bikes: trek 1200, 520, Giant ATX 970, Raleigh Talon

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LittleBigMan
Now you ask, "What makes a Segway different from a bicycle?"
That's an easy one. A bike is a very useful practical device. The most practical for moving humans over short distances. The segway, OTOH, is a technologically brilliant, completely worthless POS. Anyone with a room temperature IQ and a touch of common sense realizes this. Maybe that is why brilliant geeks like it's inventor and Gates think it is the bomb.

Take away government purchases, and this thing is even a bigger flop.

If my town ever wasted money on one, I woukl be really pissed.

As for his fine, I say this dope has already paid a fine.....It's purchase price.
Old 10-21-08, 08:13 AM
pedalphile

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pierreL
Hello all,
Just read all your thought about the Segway.
I am the guy who was charged in NF for driving the Segway on the road, well within the bicycle law by the way.
I have to say, I thought you would be more willing to share the road with the motor assisted bike that the Segway is, minus the pedals.
Hey this is the 21 Century! I have and still ride my bike, but to go to the office without pespiration and a lot more fun than a car or even a bike, you got to try the Segway and not just for 5 minutes.
Warning it will grow on you, yes it is expensive, like anything new on the market, but as sales number grow, price will come down.
You can't stop progress they say. Look how many single people ride in their car each day, half of them could probably ride a Segway, see how much space and energy we would save! That's progress.

PierreL
No doubt it is fun. But, with a 12 mph top speed, it has no business on the road. Skateboards are fun as well and they are limited in where they can be used. As for having them swarm malls, airports and sidewalks, I have one problem with it. What happens when something fails in it's guidance system and it steamrolls a 4 year old. If it steamrolls my four year old (if I had one) some segway pilot is getting an arse kickin'. Then I am going to sue the pants off the moron that invented it.

The segway is what it is. A complex expensive toy. Wanna ride one around your living room or backyard or empty parking lot? Fine. Just keep it away from traffic or busy pedestrian areas.
Old 10-21-08, 08:19 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox

Okay - there are hand-powered trikes for those with lower leg disabilities. No pedals. Are they "Bikes" also? I see them on the trails around here all the time, and there is a whole bunch of them that annually participate in "Ride the Rockies."
Hand Pedals.......
Old 10-21-08, 10:26 AM
Love that dirty water

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got to the end of the first page before realizing that this thread is over 4 years old!
Old 10-21-08, 10:38 AM
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
I've only seen private citizens using them one time. Met them on a MUP near my house. One where "motorized vehicles" are prohibited. I'd be hard put to explain why those would be legal and every other kind of scooter, minibike, mini-motorcycle, battery kid car, go-cart, etc., would not be.

I saw some Dallas police on a cheap knockoff of one- had front wheel, didn't balance, but you still get to stand up and drive, for whatever benefit that gives you.
Old 10-21-08, 10:44 AM
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,538 Times in 1,047 Posts
Originally Posted by JoesInBoston
I got to the end of the first page before realizing that this thread is over 4 years old!
And the Segway is that much closer to being at the end of its road.
Old 10-21-08, 10:46 AM

I wonder how pierreL's case worked out.
Old 10-21-08, 10:51 AM
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,396 Times in 2,093 Posts
We'll probably never find out. That's the devil of these posts - nobody ever posts the ending to it...

-Kurt

Old 10-21-08, 10:53 AM
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,538 Times in 1,047 Posts
I wonder if he or anyone else is still using a Segway after 4 years of ownership. I would guess than 99% of such Segways were senton the road to oblivion by the original owners.
Old 10-21-08, 11:13 AM
pedalphile

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yeah, I'm the one guilty for digging it up. I did a search on the word segway just to see what this place's opinion of it was. Seems like it is predominantly the same as mine, that it is an interesting expensive toy.
Old 10-21-08, 11:24 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ONTARIO REGULATION 488/06 -A Segway is deemed not to be a motor vehicle under the Act.
plus all the do' and do nots

[URL="https://https://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/regs/english/elaws_regs_060488_e.htm"]

Last edited by hstdist; 10-21-08 at 11:26 AM. Reason: add link
Old 10-21-08, 11:32 AM
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by trekker pete
No doubt it is fun. But, with a 12 mph top speed, it has no business on the road.
So if I can't ride my bike any faster than 12 MPH, should I leave the road?

My wife does about 10MPH.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.