Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Indexed vs Friction Shifters

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Indexed vs Friction Shifters

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-24, 11:42 AM
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5030 Post(s)
Liked 8,229 Times in 3,889 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
Your response underscores the fundamental distinctions between your perspective and that of other vintage friction advocates. For the vast majority of modern cyclists, the bicycle serves as a tool to enhance their enjoyment of the sport, covering greater distances and providing comfort. Conversely, some individuals perceive their bicycles as an artistic and emotional expression, valuing it as a status symbol, regardless of performance, comfort, or practicality.
In my observations, sometimes a bicycle is all of those things at the same time.
Old 02-08-24, 12:18 PM

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1950 Post(s)
Liked 2,188 Times in 1,332 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
And my wise-*** comment. Index vs Friction Shifters. Like solid state vs tube amplifiers. Solid state is so much easier to use. (And so rugged. With a good cabinet, indestructible. I backed my car into a Peavy and it didn't care.) I love tube amps.

Really good friction shifting is a joy to ride. Yes, it takes a level of skill. Yes, it requires removing one's hand from the bars (for DT). Yes, it is completely obsolete and would be a several shot handicap in a race.

I am currently dismantling a Pro Miyata with lots of rust and putting most of those parts on another Pro M. Snazzing up parts as I go along. SunTour Symmetric shifters, Superbe FD (if it can handle triple, near new Cyclone GT rear. (Tried to put the GT cage on the Superbe but can't quite.) For a start, this will be the 52-42-30 X 13-26 Sedis/SRAM I've been using.

Only drawback to the wonderful shifting of those derailleurs and the Symmetric: on a pure race bike of early '80s clearances (like none at all!), that front tire is way too close to my index finger on my routine shift. A hard jam I feel in the bones every time I do it and that is nearly every ride. Not good for hands as old as mine and that are not going to relearn how to walk shift. So for last Sept's Cycle Oregon, I made an elegant wood shield that neatly zip ties below the DT. Love it! Barely notice it but those jarring jams don't happen!

That bike is totally old school. Skinny tires, dinosaur shifting, heavy enough to anchor an entire modern peloton. That CO had a day of riding the Willamette Valley. Miles of farm fields. North or west. Always along property boundaries. And all upwind. Every turn, shift a gear or two and settle in for the next few miles. But the bike simply disappeared. It was some of the most magic riding I have ever done. Like when all is right with that tube amp, the song and the other musicians.
As poetic as the post is, and it does sound like a fantastic experience, many people have had epic moments.

I would think that those who tour are the most blessed with those. Of course after all the blood and sweat that goes with it it is somewhat fitting that they experience what the less adventurous do not.

But of all those experiences, I highly doubt that the shifters really enhanced the moment.

I imagine an outsider to cycling would read this and scratch their head.

As an example, over 50 years ago, a buddy and I started way way early in the morning in search of some good surf. It was pretty crappy and overcast no matter where we stopped. Finally as we were running out of road we tired one last place we had never been to. It was down a cliff and as we walked to take a look, the heavens opened up, the sun came out, and the waves looked great. I have never forgotten that day or feeling.

The index/friction debate would be like someone asking me if I rode a short board or a longboard.

John

Last edited by 70sSanO; 02-08-24 at 12:21 PM.
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 02-08-24, 02:18 PM
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10477 Post(s)
Liked 11,997 Times in 6,143 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
Man, I need to take your namesake antacid after reading your posts!

I assure you, running a steam locomotive is way more fun than running a modern efficient diesel.
Also a lot more capable of killing you if you do it wrong.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 02-08-24, 02:21 PM

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3560 Post(s)
Liked 2,978 Times in 1,801 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey

All what makes it more fun! You actually need to use your brain to operate it properly.
Old 02-08-24, 02:30 PM

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 3978 Post(s)
Liked 7,425 Times in 2,986 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...and once again, you manage in your own clever way to miss the "horse you rode in on" reference.
That’s a real possibility, since I don’t think I’ve ever read one of your posts in its entirety.
Old 02-08-24, 03:00 PM

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26457 Post(s)
Liked 10,417 Times in 7,232 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
That’s a real possibility, since I don’t think I’ve ever read one of your posts in its entirety.

...you just read that one, and it was a one liner. What was the hard word ?
Old 02-08-24, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...you just read that one, and it was a one liner.
I only read the part that I quoted. If I have time, maybe I’ll go back and read the rest of the post. On second thought … nah.
Old 02-08-24, 03:23 PM

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3251 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,520 Posts

I apologize for the temporary thread jack. If a person has a jones on for steam locomotives, I highly recommend "The Train."

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0059825/
Old 02-08-24, 03:27 PM

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26457 Post(s)
Liked 10,417 Times in 7,232 Posts
I only read the part that I quoted. If I have time, maybe I’ll go back and read the rest of the post. On second thought … nah.
...just let me know the parts that are hard for you. I feel I owe it to you as an audience member, to use simple words you understand.
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 02-08-24, 06:31 PM

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Liked 554 Times in 312 Posts

All what makes it more fun! You actually need to use your brain to operate it properly.
With a little work you could fit some simple fail-safe electronic controls and it would make those steam things a lot more fun to drive... take away the worry.

Seriously, if you have some time to spare on a Labor Day weekend, the Western Minnesota Steam Thresher's Reunion in Rollag MN (https://rollag.com/) is a lot of fun.
Old 02-08-24, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by DangerousDanR
With a little work you could fit some simple fail-safe electronic controls and it would make those steam things a lot more fun to drive... take away the worry.
Oh, you misunderstand: I don’t worry. There are redundant and other safety features, and I know exactly what I’m doing. That’s why they’re fun! Why on earth would I want to rely on electronics for a system that has absolutely no need for them?
Likes For smd4:
Old 02-08-24, 11:51 PM

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Liked 554 Times in 312 Posts
Oh, you misunderstand: I don’t worry. There are redundant and other safety features, and I know exactly what I’m doing. That’s why they’re fun! Why on earth would I want to rely on electronics for a system that has absolutely no need for them?
Sorry, but I think you have one of those old steam powered analog sarcasm detectors. A modern MEMs digital detector would have detected the sarcasm level in a microsecond.

I have a colleague who is building a PDP-8 from discrete components. Because he can. He will spend many hours and a lot of money building it. Just so he can have a 1960's computer. The PC he is using in place of an old Teletype terminal is so much more computing power. I prefer to build stone tile floors.

But let's not kid ourselves. I have ridden a number of steam trains, including the "Jacobite" which covers about 40 miles from Fort WIlliam to Mallaig in about 2 hours, without needing to stop and fill up with water. I have also ridden on a TGV from Paris to Dijon (almost 200 miles) in an hour and forty minutes.

The Jacobite is very "cool". After all, it is the "Hogwarts Express". But the TGV is amazing. When two trains pass out in the open country side with a closing speed of over 350 MPH, the sensation of speed is beyond imagination. And I have never heard of the boiler on a TGV exploding...
Old 02-09-24, 06:33 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 4483 Post(s)
Liked 4,958 Times in 3,064 Posts
I think some people are just born into the wrong era for their interests. This was often said of the late Fred Dibnah, who was basically a Victorian engineer awkwardly inserted into the 20th Century. He was a big fanatic of steam engines and I’m sure DT friction shifters would have excited him too!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Dibnah
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 02-09-24, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by DangerousDanR
But let's not kid ourselves. I have ridden a number of steam trains, including the "Jacobite" which covers about 40 miles from Fort WIlliam to Mallaig in about 2 hours, without needing to stop and fill up with water.
But let's not kid ourselves. You have "ridden" some trains. You've never operated a locomotive, old or new. That's clear from your "praise" about not needing to "stop and fill up with water."
Old 02-09-24, 09:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 108 Posts
Who would've guessed that a discussion starting out at friction shifting would end up at exploding steam locomotives. You never can tell....

I did get to see Union Pacific Challenger 3985 up close once - that was something..

Last edited by 13ollocks; 02-09-24 at 09:32 AM.
Old 02-09-24, 09:26 AM
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

I'm sure that's exactly what the crew on this locomotive were thinking.

I think denial about the possibility of catastrophic failure is silly. Yes, steam locomotives are magnificent machines! Running them must be amazing - I know the training locomotive engineers had to undergo BITD was astonishingly in-depth and detailed, and the vast majority of the time, the locomotives ran safely with not a hint of danger. But the potential for catastrophe is always there. Even if you do everything right - my Great grandfather died after another engine missed a signal and sideswiped his locomotive, tearing open a steam pipe and scalding him fatally. Not his fault - the PRR paid my Great Grandmother a pretty damn big settlement, for 1920!

Old 02-09-24, 09:27 AM

I'm sure that's exactly what the crew on this locomotive were thinking.
When was the last time a steam locomotive boiler exploded?
Old 02-09-24, 09:49 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Liked 1,336 Times in 682 Posts
It's fitting that you draw a parallel between locomotives and friction bicycle shifting, both having historical significance but now relegated to novelty or amusement. In my local cycling community, friction shifting is only spotted during casual gatherings or displayed as decor in our bicycle-themed coffee shop. While they evoke nostalgia, they no longer hold a functional role in modern cycling, similar to how steam locomotives have become obsolete in rail transport.

The notion that friction shifting is prevalent or suitable for touring cyclists is also specious. Personally touring 6 to 8 weeks annually, I abandoned friction shifting decades ago. Similarly, the touring cyclists I meet on the road overwhelmingly opt for index shifters due to their reliability and global parts availability. The argument for friction shifting seems niche, perhaps for extreme long-distance riders in less developed areas like Africa.
Old 02-09-24, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
It's fitting that you draw a parallel between locomotives and friction bicycle shifting
I never drew such a parallel. I don't use friction shifting unless I need to. But at least I have the option. Do you?
Old 02-09-24, 10:06 AM
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2611 Post(s)
Liked 5,735 Times in 2,954 Posts
According to the National Transportation Safety Board, the last recorded steam locomotive firebox explosion occurred on June 16, 1995, on the Gettysburg Railroad near Gardners, Pennsylvania

Old 02-09-24, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by rsbob
According to the National Transportation Safety Board, the last recorded steam locomotive firebox explosion occurred on June 16, 1995, on the Gettysburg Railroad near Gardners, Pennsylvania
So...almost thirty years ago? With 1,400 operational steam locomotives world-wide? What does your research tell you about what safety standards were breached then, and what's in place now?

Old 02-09-24, 10:12 AM
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2611 Post(s)
Liked 5,735 Times in 2,954 Posts
So...almost thirty years ago? With 1,400 operational steam locomotives world-wide? What does your research tell you about what safety standards were breached then, and what's in place now?

The firebox explosion on the Gettysburg Railroad occurred on June 16, 1995, and was a result of several contributing factors. The National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) concluded that the explosion happened because the crew had allowed the water level in the boiler to drop too low, causing the boiler's crown sheet to fail. This led to a boiler backdraft explosion, seriously injuring the engineer and both firemen, but fortunately, no passengers were injured .

The NTSB also determined that poor maintenance of the locomotive, as well as inadequate training, were contributing factors to the accident. After the incident, much of the equipment from the Gettysburg Railroad was auctioned off, and the railroad stopped using steam locomotives for their excursions, opting to use diesel locomotives instead

That’s all I have. You can look up the rest

Old 02-09-24, 10:16 AM
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

I'm not sure if there are more recent occurrences, but I do know it happened to the Gettysburg Railroad back in 1995. I'd ridden on that train only a year or so before, during my older son's "obsessed with steam engines" phase.

IIRC, the problem there was that the water gauge piping was clogged so it didn't give an accurate reading and the engineer and fireman didn't know it and didn't do any OTHER checks. The water fell below the crown sheet, which blew out, though not with a spectacular "boiler catapulting" explosion, and nobody died, IIRC. Except the locomotive, of course.

Last edited by genejockey; 02-09-24 at 10:21 AM.
Old 02-09-24, 10:19 AM

When was the last time a steam locomotive was relevant?
Old 02-09-24, 10:21 AM

When was the last time a steam locomotive was relevant?
Define "relevant."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.