Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Roadsters Only: Let's See Them!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Roadsters Only: Let's See Them!

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-20, 12:28 PM
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,396 Times in 2,093 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Mule
This bike made me think "wouldn't be great to have a bike with the DL1 frame geometry and more modern brakes?"
I've always wondered if rod-operated drums front and rear are passable enough to warrant re-lacing the wheels and adding the additional linkage. This is provided someone wants to keep the original appearance.

I'd probably look for a fairly recent Pashley Roadster Sovereign before embarking on modifications to a DL-1 though. Between the effort to braze on new fittings, lacing up new wheels, dealing with all of the Q/C issues Raleigh built into these things, and repainting the mess, one could be in the hole more than the grand it'd take to buy the Pashley.

-Kurt

Old 10-12-20, 12:55 PM

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
I didn't feel that the brakes were so bad that I wouldn't feel safe riding regularly, although they were obviously a different animal than your typical cable operated rim caliper. I did install brand new black Kool Stop pads before my first ride, and the weather was dry. At the speeds I was riding at, the rod brakes worked a little better than expected. Not that I don't get the desire for something better. The Pashley does look like a nice bike.
Old 10-12-20, 06:38 PM

Bikes: 30's Speedwell Club Racer, 40's Speedwell 'Z' racer, 50's Unknown Aussie with nice lugs, 50's Speedwell Roadster, 50's Repco Roadster, '63 Raleigh DL-1, 70's Raleigh Sprite, Puch Promenade with Nexus 8

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 23 Posts

The short answer is no. I think there is just too much flex and slop in the rods and joints for the drums to be more effective than the stirrup brakes. You would just be adding more weight. I tinkered with the drums and the rod set-up for weeks trying to get better braking, a new set of shoes up front improved things only a little. These drums are great with cables though, and as much as I love the ride, geometry and the historical look of my drum brake DL-1, I'm often tempted to remove the rods and set this up with cables. But I do tend to ride it with slower riders, so it does get its time to shine.

AFAIK this is an export version (to Australia) and came with the rod to drum setup; but I did remove a heavy utility 3/16" chainset to sub in the pictured standard heron 1/8" crankset and a 22 tooth cog. Added the quadrant shifter for some old world charm...and it works really well.
Likes For arty dave:
Old 10-12-20, 09:36 PM

Bikes: 1969 Raleigh Twenty, 1975 Raleigh DL-1, 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport, 1989 Schwinn Voyageur

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 43 Posts

Here's my '75 Raleigh Tourist DL-1. I took the fenders off this spring to treat the rust, but have enjoyed it so much sans fenders that I still haven't put them back on. A little rust removal, Ospho, & boiled linseed has gotten them looking good for when I decide to reinstall.

Regarding brakes, I still don't understand the complaints about rod brakes. I'll agree they're not as good, but they are far from any thought of wanting to improve them; & my rear rim has a jog in it so braking is reduced. I just don't get it; I've always been able to brake in plenty of time.

These bikes are a joy to pedal. From the smooth ride to the roll-over everything they are a blast! One fond memory is crossing paths with a guy riding a fat tire bike on some off-road trails & seeing the look on his face when he realized what I was riding!
Likes For thorstein:
Old 10-13-20, 09:24 PM

Bikes: 1965 Dilecta Le Blanc, 1956 Royal Nord, 1972 Raleigh Sports, 1972 CCM Turismo,1976 SuperCycle Excalibur, 2014 Salsa Vaya, 2017 Felt DD70, 2019 Giant Lafree and others

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 599 Times in 229 Posts
My only Roadster DL1 1979, "Sir Wayes A. Tonne.
Old 10-13-20, 09:28 PM

Bikes: 1965 Dilecta Le Blanc, 1956 Royal Nord, 1972 Raleigh Sports, 1972 CCM Turismo,1976 SuperCycle Excalibur, 2014 Salsa Vaya, 2017 Felt DD70, 2019 Giant Lafree and others

Sir Wayes was not so handsome when he arrived at One Browns Lane four years ago.
Old 10-17-20, 09:21 PM

Bikes: 1969 Raleigh Twenty, 1975 Raleigh DL-1, 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport, 1989 Schwinn Voyageur

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by browngw
Sir Wayes was not so handsome when he arrived at One Browns Lane four years ago.
I'm envious of the chain case & rear rack that came on yours. I'd love a rack & nice headlamp for mine!
Likes For thorstein:
Old 10-18-20, 07:51 AM
Bike Dealer since 1972

Bikes: Some of the bikes I've collected: Raleighs ( about 20), Trek ( oldest 1978 770 Columbus tubes), Mercian, Condor, Bob Jackson, Falcon, Holdsworth, Jacques Anquetil, Bianchi, LeMond, Cannondale, Schwinn, Iver Johnson, Dunelt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 29 Posts
My 1968. Found a lamp that fits years ago. Lamp made in Hong Kong British Crown Colony. Multitool that fits the British Standard nuts.

Likes For GMS:
Old 10-18-20, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by thorstein
I'm envious of the chain case & rear rack that came on yours. I'd love a rack & nice headlamp for mine!
I've been told, and observed that Canadian spec DL1s came with full chain case or chain case delete. The Lucas lamp on SWAT has been converted to LED and was given to me by a friend who found it at a flea market. You will find one someday!
Old 10-28-20, 07:55 PM

Bikes: 71 and 75 Raleigh Tourists

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 17 Posts
Here in Charlotte NC finding British Roadsters should be a challenge, but I've located these locally within 150 miles over the last 2 years.
In no particular order, 1957 Gazelle with 333 Shimano 3 speed hub, a Jack and Jill pair of 1973 DL-1's, a pristene 1970 DL-1 with Prestube rack and Elite light, a 1953 Hercules men's Churchill Delux and a 1954 Hercules ladies Churchill De Lux and a 1970 Dunelt in process of refurbishment.

Likes For JIMBO53: