Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Out of round tires?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Out of round tires?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-19, 09:54 AM

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4223 Post(s)
Liked 3,911 Times in 2,333 Posts
Originally Posted by fast_eddie_72

Yes, it's my late 70s Gitane.
Yes, I thought so. Another aspect of tire fit and these non hook edge rims is the usual lowering of the tire's max pressure rating. Without the rim's hook to help mechanically fit the tire's bead the bead can far more easily creep up on the rim's sides and blow off. I usually decrease max pressure by 10 to 20% with these rims. Andy
Old 08-09-19, 10:02 AM

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 480 Times in 260 Posts
That's a sweet Gitane.

Glad you fixed it!

Just one more data point / anecdote: I had a Continental Gatorskin that showed exactly what you've got in your video. I could not get that to be any better after deflating / reseating / inflating repeatedly. The bead and tube were seated just fine in the wheel, so I finally accepted it must be a messed up tyre, and I bit the bullet and just bought another one, which worked perfectly. Sometimes you can just have bad luck and get a bad tyre.
Old 08-09-19, 12:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ridelikeaturtle
That's a sweet Gitane.

Glad you fixed it!
Thanks, I really like it! I just started riding again a couple of months ago. I had been a runner but have been sitting around getting fat. I thought it would be a good idea to go for a run, but my knees didn't think a 215 lb. guy running was so smart after all. So I started keeping an eye out for a bike. I got this at a yard sale. I put a chain on it, shifter cables, bar wrap, cleaned and adjusted everything. Oh, and the new tires and tubes. That really seems like all it needed. I'm going to go though the hubs just to be sure it's all good. It is an old bike, and I don't think much maintenance was done. The chain I took off was really stretched. I really don't know if there's damage to the cogs. But it's riding really well now. I just got back from a 22 mile ride up over a reservoir, around the lake, and up the other side. It rode great, and it's SO nice to have that hump out of the tire.

But I digress. Thanks again to everyone who helped me get this sorted out!

Last edited by fast_eddie_72; 08-09-19 at 12:44 PM. Reason: typo