Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Why You Absolutely Need Disc Brakes...

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Why You Absolutely Need Disc Brakes...

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-15, 07:44 AM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
He is an experienced rider.
Old 08-13-15, 07:49 AM
bt
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think he was planning on going off road and dropping into the next switchback until that stupid team car got in his way!
Old 08-13-15, 07:53 AM
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 380 Posts
Originally Posted by billyymc
Not that day.

There's no doubt he messed up. My suggestion, however is that it was likely a cascading series of events, and taking a bit too much risk, as opposed to gross incompetence.

You're pushing too hard to catch; you carry too much speed into the turn above this one; you come out too wide and too hot, and then are confronted with a tight hairpin way sooner than you expected it, and a bunch of team cars in the way.

It's a bit more complicated racing down that mountain with team cars, officials, and motorcycles in the way, than just going down on it on a leisurely ride by yourself.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 08-13-15, 07:58 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by billyymc
In the video 7 riders went around the corner before he did, as well as a few cars. Seems like an experienced rider could have looked ahead in almost any situation and seen that happening.
We all know that experienced athletes never make mistakes. Sometimes when you're riding on the 'edge' **** happens whether in a car or a bike.

i love Monday morning quarterbacks who've never taken a risk in their life dissecting races.

Last edited by gregf83; 08-13-15 at 08:35 AM.
Old 08-13-15, 08:01 AM

Bikes: 2008 Trek Fuel EX9, Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't think one is significantly better than the other for braking, but I would prefer disc brakes. I have them on my mtn bike and justified or not rim brakes make me nervous when I apply them at speed. They feel slightly grabby and unsmooth so I worry that they'll surprise me in some unpleasant way -despite all the evidence that this doesn't generally happen.
Old 08-13-15, 08:03 AM

Bikes: 2 Masi giramondo

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
As soon as i saw that first support car go inside the turn, I knew it was gonna be bad. Too fast for corner coupled with organizational race issues. Not a type of brake issue. I hope the guy is alive. And the last two who hit the m/c as well.
Old 08-13-15, 08:04 AM
bt
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DonBjr
I don't think one is significantly better than the other for braking, but I would prefer disc brakes. I have them on my mtn bike and justified or not rim brakes make me nervous when I apply them at speed. They feel slightly grabby and unsmooth so I worry that they'll surprise me in some unpleasant way -despite all the evidence that this doesn't generally happen.

as will disc brakes when the fluid boils.

you will be in for a big surprise.
Old 08-13-15, 08:21 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by coachboyd
Disc brakes would not have helped him. If that car hadn't been there he would have ridden 8 miles into the woods and gotten eaten by a bear. He was that out of control.
But he could have used the disk to fight off the bear. Try that with a rim brake.
Old 08-13-15, 08:25 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83
i love Monday morning quarterbacks who've never taken a risk in their life dissect races.
When I get up out of this lounge chair you are so in for it!
Old 08-13-15, 08:26 AM
bt
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
billy, don't be a hero
Old 08-13-15, 08:32 AM
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Originally Posted by intransit1217
As soon as i saw that first support car go inside the turn, I knew it was gonna be bad. Too fast for corner coupled with organizational race issues. Not a type of brake issue. I hope the guy is alive. And the last two who hit the m/c as well.
broken ribs, pelvis, punctured lung.

But he appears to be doing ok.
Old 08-13-15, 08:39 AM
pan y agua

Originally Posted by elcruxio
I would imagine braking overall would be better and easier with discs thus making cornering safer overall. Pulling the brake lever more certainly doesn't make braking safer as you lose control the more you need finger strength to brake. .
If you look at the video at seconds 20-21, He's able to modulate his brakes quite effectively. He's on his front brake to edge of adhesion, riding a nose wheelie, which is slowing you as fast as is possible, and lets off enough to avoid flipping.

And as for hands getting tired, these guys aren't descending like that. One quick hard brake before a turn, off the brakes to the next turn. Hitting the brakes for a second 20 times is not going to wear your hand out.
Old 08-13-15, 08:39 AM

Bikes: Steel 1x's

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
There's another video out there from the spectator point of view and it appears he was out of control coming out of the previous turn as well.

Sounds like he's done this before. Hope he heals well and fast.

Last edited by Jarrett2; 08-13-15 at 08:46 AM.
Old 08-13-15, 08:46 AM

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18497 Post(s)
Liked 15,812 Times in 7,426 Posts
Originally Posted by bt
billy, don't be a hero
Now we're cooking with gas.
Old 08-13-15, 08:51 AM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclistca
But he could have used the disk to fight off the bear. Try that with a rim brake.

That is why mountain bikes all use disc brakes.

You simply attach the red-hot disc to your mini-pump and you've got a weapon to kill even the angriest predator.
Old 08-13-15, 08:57 AM
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1174 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 618 Posts
Looks like this thread is an excuse to post crash videos.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 08-13-15, 08:58 AM
pan y agua

The spectator video pretty clearly shows that he's late out of the turn just above. This crash started on the entrance into the previous turn.

Twisty descent on a bike is similar to ski racing; you're late for a gate, it throws the next gate off, and it just gets worse, until this.

Only thing that prevents this crash is taking a better line, at a bit slower speed through the previous turn.
Old 08-13-15, 09:15 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That guy was MOVING!
Old 08-13-15, 09:20 AM
Old Fart

Bikes: '97 Klein Quantum '16 Gravity Knockout

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
A perfect illustration of why we'll be seeing more crashes and more injuries as discs become more common. People will think they have better stopping abilities because of the brakes- not realizing that the brakes are not the limiting factor; but rather traction and weight distribution/physics usually are; people will have a false sense of greater confidence, thinking they can "stop better"; and people will be more likely to grab too much brake in panic situations, and lose traction or go over the bars (etc.). That sense of false confidence will also mean that they may go faster/take more chances...thinking somehow that discs will save them.
Old 08-13-15, 09:32 AM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
So a video of a professional rider crashing while using rim brakes perfectly demonstrates how regular riders will crash more often thanks to disc brakes? Fascinating.
Old 08-13-15, 09:34 AM

Bikes: Lynskey Twisted Helix Di2 Ti, 1987 Orbea steel single speed/fixie, Orbea Avant M30, Trek Fuel EX9.8 29, Trek Madone 5 series, Specialized Epic Carbon Comp 29er, Trek 7.1F

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think he came into that corner hot anticipating an outside line but when he approached, all the team cars were in the outside lane. He had such a high closing speed on the team cars he had no options to correct being out of position. I don't want say I want disc brakes on road bikes but I think the point that is being overlooked is the ability to modulate the disc brakes better thus allowing enough control to possibly not skid the tire. I don't believe it would have made any difference in this scenario because he committed to a high speed outside line way to early and didn't account for traffic. No amount of modulation would have slowed him in time.
Old 08-13-15, 09:42 AM

Bikes: SWorks Stumpy, Haibike Xduro RX, Crave SS

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
I spent a lot of time on the racetrack on motorcycle, and I have seen crashes like this many times. This clearly had nothing to do with the brakes. I do think disc brakes are better brakes, but few of us need them. Yet, who cares what we need and do not need.

one question though. A lot of folks talk about the fluid boiling with disc brakes. I believe this is an Internet create fallacy for near 100% of people. So, is there anyone here that has personally experienced this? No brothers, friends, cousins, etcetera, you yourself.
Old 08-13-15, 09:44 AM

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26471 Post(s)
Liked 10,425 Times in 7,240 Posts
Originally Posted by PepeM
So a video of a professional rider crashing while using rim brakes perfectly demonstrates how regular riders will crash more often thanks to disc brakes? Fascinating.
...it works in the never ending Helment thread, why would it not apply to road discs? Once I get my discs, I'll probably ditch the helment.
Old 08-13-15, 09:57 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by esskay1000
Oh lord, really? All of the other riders with rim brakes seemed to do fine on that turn. He was approaching a sharp turn doing 40+, he screwed up. Can disc brakes help PRO riders at the highest level - perhaps yes, especially in wet weather. Does the average Joe or weekend warrior road rider need disc brakes - hell no. Does even a CAT 3 racer need them - hell no.

He was totally set up wrong for this, blazing away on the inside is no way to make it through a hairpin.
Old 08-13-15, 10:03 AM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
This video doesn't provide a case either for or against disc brakes. Discs would not have helped Brammeier in this circumstance. And his high level of brake control with rim brakes doesn't mean hydraulic discs aren't superior (they are). He was way past the point where that mattered. End of story, either way.

Originally Posted by exime
That is why mountain bikes all use disc brakes.

You simply attach the red-hot disc to your mini-pump and you've got a weapon to kill even the angriest predator.
This got a chuckle out of me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.