Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Road Test/Bike Review (1983) CANNONDALE Touring Bike

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Road Test/Bike Review (1983) CANNONDALE Touring Bike

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-20, 12:38 PM

Bikes: '73 Raleigh Competition, Guru Sidero, Soma Groove, Smolenski,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by SpeedofLite
You described my experience with the 1988 SR800 very well. After riding a Fuji S10-S for 10 years, the SR800 felt like a rocket ship from the second I pushed the pedals. However, it also abused me on rough Michigan roads during the latter part of rides exceeding 50 miles. Even though the 1989 catalog indicated cantilever dropouts were used to decrease weight and make it easier to access the quick release, I've long wondered if it was also meant to address the developing harsh ride reputation.
Do you know if the cantilever design introduced in 1989 made a difference in ride or handling quality in the Criterium Series frames even though the chainstay length and wheelbase did not change from 1988?

I've never ridden the touring frame, but the passion of BF members for this bike is infectious and I'm starting to think I'm missing out on something sweet.
Right? There is even one for sale (This one actually looks like the touring version, lover chainstays, LX rear derailleur) https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/...195499743.html. looks a little later than 1983, but with the 27" wheels, it cant be that much later...
Old 09-18-20, 12:47 PM

Bikes: Litespeed (9); Slingshot (9); Specialized (3); Kestrel (2); Cervelo (1); FELT (1); Trek (2)

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked 3,475 Times in 1,000 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
I was told by our Cannondale rep back then that the cantilever dropout design was solely introduced as a workaround to circumvent one aspect of Gary Klein's absurdly broad patent claims.

Those Cannondale touring bikes were amazingly versatile. People would do loaded touring with them, enjoying the absence of the wallowing-down-the-road feel of loaded steel touring frames, and then race them successfully on weekends.
Thanks for the info. I guess I was correct in smelling a different reason for the dropout change, just not the right one.
Oh geez, N +1...here we go again.
WTB: Bike World issue Jun 1974.

Likes For SpeedofLite:
Old 09-23-20, 01:10 PM

Bikes: 50+/-

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by SpeedofLite

Very cool, thanks for sharing.
Old 05-22-22, 07:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hub size for a wheel set for this frame?

I have one of these frames, purchased from a now defunct bike shop in SF years ago. I'd like to rebuild it as a commuter, does anyone know the size hub that would fit the dropouts? I know that b/c it's aluminum, the fit needs to be exact, unlike with an older steel frame, where you can cram a modern sized wheel set in the dropouts. Any info much appreciated. Thanks.
Old 05-22-22, 08:21 PM
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 2,531 Times in 1,059 Posts
Originally Posted by Sman
I have one of these frames, purchased from a now defunct bike shop in SF years ago. I'd like to rebuild it as a commuter, does anyone know the size hub that would fit the dropouts? I know that b/c it's aluminum, the fit needs to be exact, unlike with an older steel frame, where you can cram a modern sized wheel set in the dropouts. Any info much appreciated. Thanks.
It looks like a six-speed in the photo (I can't believe they don't say on the text). That means it's probably 126mm. I say "probably" because there were sis-speed freewheels with narrower cogs and spacing to fit in the older 120mm standard. Bit is much mor elikely to be 126mm.
Old 05-22-22, 08:28 PM
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2155 Post(s)
Liked 3,406 Times in 1,206 Posts
‘83-87 frames were all 126mm. During the ‘88 model year they started to make them 128m to accept either 126 or 130mm hubs. So it’s year-dependent.
But ultimately irrelevant since it’s perfectly OK to manually spread the dropouts with your thumbs to insert a 130 hub into a 126 rear. Done it dozens of times on dozens of Cannondales with nary a problem.
Trust me on this. My personal 88 ST has been ridden over 10,000 miles with a 130 hub in it, as just one example.