Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

90's GT 26" MTB to 28" road bike conversion

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

90's GT 26" MTB to 28" road bike conversion

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-21, 06:46 PM

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
I'd forget the discs if you hope for a fast bike. The frame and fork reinforcement needed plus the extra weight of the brakes will add a few pounds. Frankly I don't see a point in messing up a nice vintage MTB frame when there are plenty of road frames available.
shelby my brotha...let the man the man express him self...clearly more fun to built it.
the vintage bike is a great canvas..
Old 11-11-21, 01:45 PM

Bikes: Road: 1972 Raleigh Competition,1989 Marinoni, 1990 Limongi. MTN: 1990 GT Team Avalanche, 1991 Rocky Mountain Blizzard, GT Team RTS , Rocky Mountain MSL 50 Element, CCM fat bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 50 Posts
You put lots of effort into that bike. I remain surprised that the 700 wheels fit, but cool that they do. Are those 700 sized wheels with the Kojak tires? They look like 26" tires.

You might look at Velo-Orange for stems. They have a few options that raise the stack.

I have a GT Team Avalanche that I converted to drop bar and really enjoy it. I took the path of least resistance to assemble it, so it is not at the same level as yours.
Likes For Paul Waque: