Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1977 Raleigh Professional MKV: braze-on cable guides on TT, really?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

1977 Raleigh Professional MKV: braze-on cable guides on TT, really?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-23, 10:20 AM

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,834 Times in 1,998 Posts
Originally Posted by JackJohn
I shall start a new thread to discuss the “team” vs “steel blue” livery…
very useful information
with this, no discussion needed-

https://dentoncycles.co.uk/my-ti-raleigh-sbdu-blog/?amp
Old 12-06-23, 11:24 AM
WingsToWheels

Bikes: Italian, French, British

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
very useful information
with this, no discussion needed-

https://dentoncycles.co.uk/my-ti-raleigh-sbdu-blog/?amp
thanks… but it’s different. On one hand, talking about a Worksop MK V and not SBDU, on the other a frame advertised in steel blue in the US but in Team colors in France. There are no reasons why the same frame model would be different in the two countries, but I wanted to make sure, as it would not be unusual to have French specificities (I already discussed some here: 70s Worksop Raleigh Team Professional in US/France - different 531 frame tubes/gauges)
Old 12-06-23, 12:15 PM
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 286 Post(s)
Quoted: 2218 Post(s)
Liked 4,757 Times in 1,805 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug Fattic
No, I went there because I had heard from Reynolds that every American had failed the 753 test. In the beginning one had to summit a complete frame out of 753 to demonstrate one could braze it properly and have it end up in alignment in order to be able to buy 753 tubing. The methods commonly used in the UK at the time were pretty crude so one couldn't use those methods to build a frame out of thin walled heat treated 753. I wanted to know how Raleigh at the SBDU works made their frames (if there were any special techniques) that I should know before attempting the test myself. I made an appointment to meet with Gerald O'Donovan the boss but fortunately I was detained on the way and as a result late for my appointment. So when I got there O'Donovan was out for lunch (or something). Not wanting to waste my time sitting in the office (nobody was in there) I went over to the workshop (it was in a separate building) and asked the foreman if I could hang out there waiting for O'Donovan. I spent a good 45 minutes seeing how they did things before the boss returned and chased me out. What I learned was that the methods I used in principle were suitable for making frames out of thin walled heat treated tubing. There still isn't a week that goes by 46 years later where I realize how fortunate I was to learn how to build frames at Ellis Briggs in Shipley West Yorkshire. Their building methods emphasized quality so their procedures would work just fine making a straight frame. Except it was necessary to use silver instead of brass.
Thank you for the story. Much appreciated!

The reason I asked was because I've always wondered how the collaboration between the team and Ilkeston worked. It's no surprise that Peter Post and Jan Legrand got along well, but man, it must have been challenging to work with those two. Jan had ridden for Raleigh in the sixties as a pro. During that time he'd build his own frames and just put Raleigh decals on it. I can imagine a certain lack of enthusiasm in Ilkeston ...

Old 12-14-23, 03:51 AM
WingsToWheels

Frame just received. Cable guides work is visible, and the frame looks it has been repainted, even though a long time ago. There’s a 35M stamped just beneath the serial number. Puzzling feature, the headbadge is a sticker and the old HB rivet holes have been suppressed, wonder why???

Likes For JackJohn:
Old 12-14-23, 06:44 AM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 891 Post(s)
Liked 2,324 Times in 1,301 Posts
I’m not real sure about that stamp on the BB shell. Mine , and others I’ve seen have the serial number on the shell. It could be because it is a European model.

Last edited by Kabuki12; 12-14-23 at 06:48 AM.
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 12-14-23, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by Ex Pres
What about this internal TT routing added to my [previously owned] '78?
That head tube pump pip points to me a respray and modifications, that part was a 1980’s item.
Old 12-14-23, 08:05 AM
Cat 6

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 119 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
That head tube pump pip points to me a respray and modifications, that part was a 1980’s item.
Good sleuthing.
According to the previous owner the mods and respray were circa 1987. CyclArt did the work, frame sported the chainstay decal.

72 Frejus (for sale), Holdsworth Record (for sale), special CNC & Gitane Interclub / 74 Italvega NR (for sale) / c80 French / 82 Raleigh Intl MkII f&f (for sale)/ 83 Trek 620 (for sale)/ 84 Bruce Gordon Chinook (for sale)/ 85 Ron Cooper / 87 Centurion IM MV (for sale) / 03 Casati Dardo / 08 BF IRO / 09 Dogma FPX / 09 Giant TCX0 / 10 Vassago Fisticuff

Old 12-14-23, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by Ex Pres
Good sleuthing.
According to the previous owner the mods and respray were circa 1987. CyclArt did the work, frame sported the chainstay decal.

‘that firm was very eager to up sell resprays with modifications. No historic honor there. But not a rare bike. No editorial comment on the Confente they added a braze on front derailleur tab to. (Might have done that twice)
Old 12-14-23, 03:06 PM
WingsToWheels

Originally Posted by Kabuki12
I’m not real sure about that stamp on the BB shell. Mine , and others I’ve seen have the serial number on the shell. It could be because it is a European model.
Yes there’s of course the Worksop serial. But while on my other MK V, like on yours, there’s a 4 stamped, here it’s an F plus this 35M…
Old 12-14-23, 07:58 PM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 891 Post(s)
Liked 2,324 Times in 1,301 Posts
Maybe someone will come along that knows what the extra stamps mean.
Likes For Kabuki12: