Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

This will turn out to be the best Lance interview on record.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

This will turn out to be the best Lance interview on record.

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-23, 10:35 AM
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Harold74
I have no mysterious psychological need for Lemond to be guilty. I consider Lemond and Armstrong to both be role models of sorts even if both are manipulative, lying, dopers. I simply feel that Lance's perception of LeMond's potential doping forms part of the context in which Lance made his behavioral choices. In this sense, it barely matters whether or not LeMond was guilty. What matters is whether or not Lance would have perceived him to be guilty and, therefore, a hypocrite. Like me, I suspect that Lance did suspect LeMond's guilt.
You haven't made an argument decent enough to bother refuting at this point, especially since this is obviously a red herring to avoid discussing L's absolute crappiness. But boom, here you go proving I was exactly right about your motivations for manufacturing GL's "guilt". You need it to rationalize LA's behavior.

The only thing that matters is LA knew that what GL was saying was true, so he did everything he could to destroy his business interests. I don't care what idiotic rationalizations you can come up with for that.
Old 06-07-23, 10:37 AM

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked 773 Times in 404 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
So basically, if he had needed to murder children to keep this going, that would have been ok because we can't say for sure we wouldn't murder children if we were in the same situation? No, he engaged in campaigns to ruin people who tried to call him out, he committed several felonies along the way, and I don't subscribe to the idea that his talent and illness privilege him to act like a sociopath without consequences. Don't do the crime if you can't do the damn time.
I'm not saying I like what he did.

I am asking if he should have just simply given up and confessed - just walked away from it all based off the words/unproven testimony of bystanders. There was a lot at stake, many things were riding on his shoulders - and most of those riding on his shoulders were not clueless as to what was going on. So just walk away? Or fight back and let the test results do the talking - in hindsight, any level of fighting back looks bad - but would you really expect him or anyone else to just roll over and admit what they did?

And really - who didn't think he was doping? I was a huge of his, my mother was fighting cancer at the same time, and he was an inspiration for her, helped her fight harder - I also loved the level of racing of the day. I never once considered any of them being "clean".
Likes For Jughed:
Old 06-07-23, 10:40 AM

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6975 Post(s)
Liked 10,975 Times in 4,695 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
I agree with him when he points out that you can't make that judgement because none of us have ever been in that skin. We have no idea how we would act with that kind of fame and fortune. It changes a person.
The entire Western system of jurisprudence is based on the idea that we can indeed fairly judge our peers. If you deny that, how would you suggest that we deal with criminals -- especially those who are rich and powerful?
Likes For Koyote:
Old 06-07-23, 10:41 AM
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

They would still be on these forums condemning the guy, because as has been evident from day 1 of the revelation of cheating, they are basically just heart broken and traumatized that their idol betrayed their belief in him.

Human beings, by nature, are an imperfect species. Just recognize that and let it go. The guy has been exposed and punished, yet many people want him treated like he's the worst person who ever walked the earth. It's only sports forchrissakes!
Nope, it'd be a lot easier to let it go if people didn't keep trotting him out and claiming he's a "role model". And my ppersonal feelings about this was that the lawsuits, the perjury, the personal financial ruin he imposed on several people are the things that get overlooked in these conversations, and those are a hell of a lot more than "only sports."
Old 06-07-23, 10:43 AM

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1613 Post(s)
Liked 2,598 Times in 1,227 Posts
You guys talking about the astronaut?
Old 06-07-23, 10:45 AM

Bikes: Miyata 1000, Lemond Zurich, Lynskey Rouleur, Airborne Zeppelin, Vintage Zullo, Miele Lupa

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 75 Posts
I'm going to add one more dimension to my argument for potential "Lance Victimhood".

It is, admittedly, a bit of a reach: I speculate that becoming the all powerful, Bike Cancer Jesus (BCJ), actually harmed Lance.

Yes, once Lance became the BCJ, he availed himself of the money, power, celebrity, and "shielding" that afforded him. But does that mean that becoming the BCJ was a net benefit to Lance when the entire arc of his life is considered? I'm not so sure.

Everything that I've seen on Lance pre-cancer suggest to me that he was a young man who:

1) Was a talented, charismatic, cocky, narcissistic bully.

2) Wanted little more than to be the world's best day racer, hang out with Hawaiian Tropics moels, and earn $1M+ annually.

And he had all of that pre-cancer. Does the young man below look like he really wants to be Bike Cancer Jesus?

However, once Lance stumbled into becoming the BCJ, he was then subjected to a ridiculous and exceptional amount of pressure, responsibility, and scrutiny. And I feel that did negatively impact Lances life on balance. I suspect that he would have been almost as happy in 2005 without being the BCJ and he would be much happier now without having been the BCJ.

In Lance's own words, his originally stated goals were to "kick ass" and "hang out with girls on the weekend". That's not the path to a Nobel prize or anything but I can certainly see the appeal.

Old 06-07-23, 10:48 AM
Tragically Ignorant

I agree with him when he points out that you can't make that judgement because none of us have ever been in that skin. We have no idea how we would act with that kind of fame and fortune. It changes a person.

You realize that you just argued that the rich, famous and powerful should have a completely different, much looser moral code.
It's called the affluenza defense. I don't buy it.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-07-23, 10:54 AM
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,100 Times in 3,833 Posts
Originally Posted by curbtender
You guys talking about the astronaut?
No. The trumpeter.
Old 06-07-23, 10:55 AM
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Jughed
I'm not saying I like what he did.

I am asking if he should have just simply given up and confessed - just walked away from it all based off the words/unproven testimony of bystanders. There was a lot at stake, many things were riding on his shoulders - and most of those riding on his shoulders were not clueless as to what was going on. So just walk away? Or fight back and let the test results do the talking - in hindsight, any level of fighting back looks bad - but would you really expect him or anyone else to just roll over and admit what they did?

And really - who didn't think he was doping? I was a huge of his, my mother was fighting cancer at the same time, and he was an inspiration for her, helped her fight harder - I also loved the level of racing of the day. I never once considered any of them being "clean".
He went far beyond what he needed to do defend himself. He personally attacked other people at financial, reputational and legal levels. But even if that was necessary in order to keep it going, then yes, I think that's a very clear point where he should have just stopped. Seriously, is this any different than justifying mob bosses killing people because their alternative is to give up the job?
Old 06-07-23, 10:56 AM

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3958 Post(s)
Liked 7,312 Times in 2,951 Posts
Yes, we certainly can make that judgement. Many, many people that experience fame and fortune do not lose their moral compass. It's a copout to wave it off with "It changes a person."
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 06-07-23, 10:57 AM

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked 773 Times in 404 Posts
You realize that you just argued that the rich, famous and powerful should have a completely different, much looser moral code.
It's called the affluenza defense. I don't buy it.
That's not my argument.

My argument is being judgemental without ever being in that situation.

What would you do at that age, in that situation. With all of everything you built and everything that was built around you at stake? What would you do - roll over and confess, or fight back? If the latter is your answer - what level of fighting back/protecting what you built is acceptable? In hindsight, looking at it from where we are now and what we now know - no level of fighting back looks good. If you were willing to simply roll over and walk away - well good for you.

Personally, If I was racing at the top levels in the world - racing amongst dopers and systematic doping, and was making 100's of millions - I would protect the position I was in. I don't know if I would just roll over when Frankies wife (who I do feel bad for) threatened to out me - for doing what her husband did and probably helped earn her family millions.
Old 06-07-23, 10:58 AM
Tragically Ignorant

TIL--ok to be an active sociopath as long as it's working for you.
Old 06-07-23, 11:02 AM

I already posed the same question to BillyD , and I'll pose it to you: if we can't judge people whose lives (backgrounds, experiences, level of wealth, etc) are different from our own, then how should we deal with any criminals? After all, we're each unique, different from one another.

I'm really interested in a response to this question...though I don't expect one. When people on bf are wrong or absurd, they usually go silent rather than answer for it.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 06-07-23, 11:02 AM
Tragically Ignorant

That's not my argument.

What would you do at that age, in that situation. With all of everything you built and everything that was built around you at stake? What would you do - roll over and confess, or fight back? If the latter is your answer - what level of fighting back/protecting what you built is acceptable? In hindsight, looking at it from where we are now and what we now know - no level of fighting back looks good. If you were willing to simply roll over and walk away - well good for you.

Personally, If I was racing at the top levels in the world - racing amongst dopers and systematic doping, and was making 100's of millions - I would protect the position I was in. I don't know if I would just roll over when Frankies wife (who I do feel bad for) threatened to out me - for doing what her husband did and probably helped earn her family millions.

It's not the way you phrased your argument, but it's definitely the natural implication of it. If I have a lot to lose, you can't judge me for doing anything horrible unless you have been in exactly the same shoes. LA had some pretty damn powerful rich shoes, therefore only the powerful and rich can judge him.
Old 06-07-23, 11:03 AM

Bikes: Miyata 1000, Lemond Zurich, Lynskey Rouleur, Airborne Zeppelin, Vintage Zullo, Miele Lupa

Originally Posted by Koyote
The entire Western system of jurisprudence is based on the idea that we can indeed fairly judge our peers. If you deny that, how would you suggest that we deal with criminals -- especially those who are rich and powerful?
That is an interesting point. I previously considered suggesting that Lance should only be judged by a jury of his peers and that that we are NOT his peers. I refrained because I suspected that someone would counter that with your argument. But, since the cat is out of the bag, I'll try to counter the jurisprudence argument:

The legal system makes the assumption that we are all created equal even though, in a philosophical / practical sense, no one believes that we are remotely equal with respect to our talents and circumstances. This is necessary because, as you say, what else would we do that would be even remotely fair and still maintain social order?

Our legal system is designed to do to many things but one of them is to protect the weak from the strong, the common from the powerful. That is both fair and necessary but, at the same time, I don't feel that the intent of it is to suggest that a common person in a common situation can really be a fair judge of a powerful person in an exceptional situation. And vice versa really.

Should a materially desperate person be forgiven for breaking into my house, steeling food for her kids, and accidentally stabbing my kid when confronted? Yes, surely. Can the law tolerate that and still be expected to maintain order? Surely not.

From a power perspective, this is the inverse of Lance's case: circumstances matter when it comes to moral judgement, even if they cannot be considered when it comes to legal judgement.​​​​​​
Old 06-07-23, 11:07 AM
Tragically Ignorant

From a power perspective, this is the inverse of Lance's case: circumstances matter when it comes to moral judgement, even if they cannot be considered when it comes to legal judgement.​​​​​​

So wait, you're saying that the standards for justifying saying nasty things about someone on social media should be higher than justifying locking them up in prison?

What the what?!
Old 06-07-23, 11:09 AM

That is an interesting point. I previously considered suggesting that Lance should only be judged by a jury of his peers and that that we are NOT his peers. I refrained because I suspected that someone would counter that with your argument. But, since the cat is out of the bag, I'll try to counter the jurisprudence argument:

The legal system makes the assumption that we are all created equal even though, in a philosophical / practical sense, no one believes that we are remotely equal with respect to our talents and circumstances. This is necessary because, as you say, what else would we do that would be even remotely fair and still maintain social order?

Our legal system is designed to do to many things but one of them is to protect the weak from the strong, the common from the powerful. That is both fair and necessary but, at the same time, I don't feel that the intent of it is to suggest that a common person in a common situation can really be a fair judge of a powerful person in an exceptional situation. And vice versa really.

Should a materially desperate person be forgiven for breaking into my house, steeling food for her kids, and accidentally stabbing my kid when confronted? Yes, surely. Can the law tolerate that and still be expected to maintain order? Surely not.

This thread has demonstrated one truth: you have a real knack for using lots of words to say very little.
Old 06-07-23, 11:11 AM
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3894 Post(s)
Liked 1,943 Times in 1,388 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
The behavior that makes headlines is not representative of everyone.
Ah, you edited that reply. No, of course not. But that statement does not seem to advance the discussion or refute the standard maxim which I quoted. Those who rise to the top in any field are not representative of everyone, TG. And neither are those who sink to the bottom, also TG. But we don't really want to see nothing but normative behavior, do we? If that were the case, plays and movies and bike racing would be pretty boring. They mostly aren't and thus attract audiences. And great discoveries would never have been made.
Old 06-07-23, 11:15 AM

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3515 Post(s)
Liked 2,929 Times in 1,777 Posts
Then we can make no judgments, about anyone, ever. So much for juries...
Likes For smd4:
Old 06-07-23, 11:27 AM
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,100 Times in 3,833 Posts
This thread will do nothing to change anyone's current opinion/judgement of Lance Armstrong.
Old 06-07-23, 11:28 AM

livedarklions : to recap, you've thus far implied that I am a despicable, babbling, b*ll****ting, scummy, idiot. All that, and you'll not find a single example of me launching these kind of value based, personal attacks on you or anyone else.

Do you really feel that you are qualified to sit in judgment of Lance Armstrong's bullying when, clearly, you are incapable of recognizing the bully that stares back at you from the mirror?

despicable on your part
that is just babbling bs
so convoluted that I think you look embarrassed
what you are doing here is really scummy
bs about "probabilities
I don't care what idiotic rationalizations you can come up with
Likes For Harold74:
Old 06-07-23, 11:31 AM

This thread has demonstrated one truth: you have a real knack for using lots of words to say very little.
More Lance-esque personal insults and bullying. Nice.
Old 06-07-23, 11:33 AM

More Lance-esque personal insults and bullying. Nice.
I'll retract my comment if you explain how a person can "accidentally" stab another person.

Should a materially desperate person be forgiven for breaking into my house, steeling food for her kids, and accidentally stabbing my kid when confronted? Yes, surely. ​​​​​​
Old 06-07-23, 11:34 AM

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3958 Post(s)
Liked 7,312 Times in 2,951 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
But that statement does not seem to advance the discussion or refute the standard maxim which I quoted. Those who rise to the top in any field are not representative of everyone, TG. And neither are those who sink to the bottom, also TG. But we don't really want to see nothing but normative behavior, do we? If that were the case, plays and movies and bike racing would be pretty boring. They mostly aren't and thus attract audiences. And great discoveries would never have been made.
You seem to be implying that bike racing would be boring if the competitors were ethical and moral in their dealings with other people. That's pure BS.

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
And great discoveries would never have been made.
That's more BS. Great discoveries do not require that the people behind them act in unethical and immoral ways.
Old 06-07-23, 11:34 AM
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
He won Leadville in 2018.

I guess road race fans wouldn't call that a big race though.

I haven't heard of him doing any other offroad endurance races. Maybe they started testing
I forgot

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.