Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Diverge tire clearance issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-19, 12:13 PM

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by diego83
Do you think a 700x28 on road rim(17 or 19c) could be a problem with bottom braket height?
I think a 265 mm bottom height with 38c tires will become a 255 or 256 mm height with 28c tires.
Thank you
I think it depends on where/how you ride. 265mm BB height is very road-bike-like, 255 is lower than most road bikes it seems. If you like to play MTB, then it's likely too low. If you ride dirt roads, it's probably fine because you can't corner as fast with less grip so lean angles will never be the same as on a road bike. On pavement you'd need to be alert and don't pedal through hard corners. 255mm BB height - 175mm crank arm gives 80mm clearance (or a bit over 3") for the pedal before you start leaning.
Old 12-29-19, 02:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Caliper
I think it depends on where/how you ride. 265mm BB height is very road-bike-like, 255 is lower than most road bikes it seems. If you like to play MTB, then it's likely too low. If you ride dirt roads, it's probably fine because you can't corner as fast with less grip so lean angles will never be the same as on a road bike. On pavement you'd need to be alert and don't pedal through hard corners. 255mm BB height - 175mm crank arm gives 80mm clearance (or a bit over 3") for the pedal before you start leaning.
Could I have any problems on purely road riding with 28 or 30 mm tire?
I think bb height will be about 255-257mm,I never ride a road bike with theese features
Old 12-29-19, 02:47 PM

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by diego83
Could I have any problems on purely road riding with 28 or 30 mm tire?
I think bb height will be about 255-257mm,I never ride a road bike with theese features
*Could* you? Sure. Go into a turn and put the inside pedal down (or just keep pedaling). If you keep turning harder/leaning further then at some point, you'll be able to hit the inside pedal on the ground. All road bikes could do it but it is true that the Diverge will do it sooner and definitely sooner with a smaller tire. But if you keep the inside pedal up when cornering hard then it'll be fine. I've got a bike with similar BB drop that I rode with 27x1 1/8" tires as a kid (equivalent height to a 700x32). I did have a pedal strike once, but it was also while I was pedaling and doing tight loops in a parking lot because I didn't know any better. I learned and never had the problem again on that bike.

I will say that for a purely road bike, I would look at a different bike or at least slightly larger/taller tires.
Old 12-29-19, 09:30 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Caliper
*Could* you? Sure. Go into a turn and put the inside pedal down (or just keep pedaling). If you keep turning harder/leaning further then at some point, you'll be able to hit the inside pedal on the ground. All road bikes could do it but it is true that the Diverge will do it sooner and definitely sooner with a smaller tire. But if you keep the inside pedal up when cornering hard then it'll be fine. I've got a bike with similar BB drop that I rode with 27x1 1/8" tires as a kid (equivalent height to a 700x32). I did have a pedal strike once, but it was also while I was pedaling and doing tight loops in a parking lot because I didn't know any better. I learned and never had the problem again on that bike.

I will say that for a purely road bike, I would look at a different bike or at least slightly larger/taller tires.
Thank you.
l'm looking for a gravel bike that it's also good as a road bike,I know It cannot be a purely racing road bike.
I like also Giant Revolt
Old 12-30-19, 05:47 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a 2018 Diverge XL aluminum running Donally USH 700x40C. Trying to post pic but apparently I need 10 posts before it will let me.
Old 01-07-20, 09:21 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This Specialized tire size chart is very helpful. Thank you so much. Based on this, I'm considering putting some 700x37 Continental Contact Travel tires on my specialized diverge e5 comp 2019 (aluminium). If anyone has experience with these tires on this bike or similar, please do share :-)
Old 02-03-20, 08:50 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Having foolishly believed the Specialized tire chart instead of the actual photos of a 2018 aluminium Diverge posted with a 700x38 rear tire from Nubie, I decided to try a pair of real cheap 700x38 (B Twin Trekking Speed from Decathlon Thailand, only US$6 each). Result is the same as Nubie, a really tight fit. Definitely no good for mud. I would post a pic but this idiotic forum doesn't allow it (this is why everyone ends up on Facebook). Anyway I'm going to try these tires on the Katy Trail in Missouri for a week, where apparently widest possible tire is the best (crushed limestone trail), but I'll bring along my trusty folding Continental Gatorskin 700x32 as a fallback. I'll put some tape on the side of the seat tube close to the tire to minimize scratching of my beautiful 2019 frame. Wish me luck!
Old 01-20-21, 01:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
For what it's worth, I put a Specialized Pathfinder Sport 700 X 38 on my wife's size 52 Specialized Diverge (2018 Alloy) and there are 5m of space at the seat tube and chain stay bridge.