Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

I don't get mismatched wheels

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

I don't get mismatched wheels

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-08, 08:27 PM
I Love My Dream

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm just an old dude that really likes bikes. Because of my age I'm about as far removed from trendy or hip as your likely to get. Because of my addiction and obsession with bikes I spend a portion of my spare time cruising the web looking at other peoples bikes and I don't think I'm alone at this. The thread that has the most views and responses in all of BF is the sticky "Your Fixed Gear/SS" Photos. So to answer the question who cares I think a lot of people must. I do, it's just out of a genuine interest in bikes.

I think bikes are a thing of beauty and I'm just trying to wrap my head around why some people would intentionally choose a certain look. Of course each to there own, I was not passing judgement on them I just don't understand but hey that's cool. I don't neccessarily need to get it. Nothing wrong with wanting to learn here I hope. I do understand the monetary reasons though. If I pissed you off and you think I'm trolling sorry for have disturbing you. There are more urgent matters here to attend to.

Last edited by Saddle Up; 11-15-08 at 08:33 PM.
Old 11-15-08, 08:37 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Saddle Up
I think bikes are a thing of beauty and I'm just trying to wrap my head around why some people would intentionally choose a certain look.
Because they like it maybe? Just a hunch.
Old 11-16-08, 06:35 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Any QR hubbed front will work fine on a fixed. There are all sorts of nice wheels out there that are dirt cheap--- old vintage gear. same cannot be said for rears... seriously- I have picked up some very nice fronts for next to nothing. They aren't worth that much as half a pair. I then build up my own rear wheels.
Old 11-17-08, 05:08 AM
I just wanna ride

Bikes: 2013 BMC Impec

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
No experience with 5 or tri spokes wheels personally, but I have heard that it can be dangerous to ride either of those in the rear if you are into tricks cause you can slip and get your ankle caught in the spokes. Just what I've heard.

If you are referring to colors, I know I have seen some nice bikes that have two different color rims as there bike fades from one color int the front to a different color in the back. That always looks cool.
Old 11-17-08, 05:52 AM

Bikes: Avanti ventura, Fuga Track Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I tacoed my front wheel in an accident and the wheels i had are now out of production.. so i got whatever i could get..
Old 11-17-08, 11:00 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like the look of mismatched wheels. It's more fun to not worry about stuff matching all the time.
Old 11-17-08, 11:11 AM
out of shape

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i rode a 32h 3x shallow rear with a 16h bladed aero QR road front for a while, made lockups and road trips easier. now i just like a purposeful mismatch, like matching hubset but different rims, or different lacing front and rear, or HF rear + LF front.
Old 11-17-08, 11:38 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
standard hipster response to justify trendy stuff on a bike is free/cheap/temporary. they do it b/c everyone else is doing it. the mentality is "i want to be perceived as an individual and express myself through my bike but not so much as to not fit in with everyone else."
Old 11-17-08, 11:54 AM
:)

Bikes: '07 Pista, '09 Fantom Cross Uno, '8? Miyata, '67 Stingray, '0? Zoo mod trials, Tallbike, Chopper, '73 Schwinn Collegiate, '67 Triumph Chopper, '69 CB350, '58 BSA Spitfire, '73 CB450

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yeah. I had a custom 120mm spaced fork made so I could go for true symmetry and have fixed/free front and back.

I even put the same tooth count front and back, because it would be janky to run 17fixed/19free in back and have some other ratio up front.

-Stay tru 2 yorself
Old 11-18-08, 03:50 AM

Bikes: 2012 redline conquest pro / 2008 yeti 575 / motobecan fantom cross uno

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
what about a deep v rear and aerohead front? maybe i'm screwed?
Old 11-18-08, 05:01 AM
Grumpy Old Bugga

Bikes: Hillbrick, Malvern Star Oppy S2, Europa (R.I.P.)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I'm so ashamed I just had a look at my fleet and everyone of them has matching wheels and matching tyres.

Richard
Old 11-18-08, 07:24 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hey!!!!!

Stop starting stupid threads!!!!!!