Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

A frightening look inside of a BMC Road Machine RM01

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

A frightening look inside of a BMC Road Machine RM01

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-17, 12:04 AM
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
And it will be compatible with your favorite headset. Threadless or quill. Any carbon forks offer so many choices?
Qull stems rely on just one bolt to hold the bars in place (attached to the fork - i.e. steering column). If it snaps, you instantly loose control of the bike. Threadless forks have at least two bolts holding the stem to the fork - probability of 2 bolts snapping at the same time is very, very low. I'd stay away from quill stems if at all possible (for 1" standard you can still find threadless forks and headsets, though they are not as common).
Old 12-14-17, 12:55 AM

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4459 Post(s)
Liked 1,592 Times in 1,048 Posts

Steel forks may not be sitting in every shop but in the US there must be several hundred framebuilders who can crank out exactly what you want for not much more than a high end carbon fork. (And you get to choose the type, crown, geometry, braze-ons and paint or chrome. And it will be compatible with your favorite headset. Threadless or quill. Any carbon forks offer so many choices?
Well, yeah. You can get a carbon fork with different types of crowns, different steerer materials, threaded or Ahead, tapered, a wide range of rakes, custom rigidity, multiple brake mounts. And they can be made much more compliant and comfortable than steel.
Old 12-14-17, 01:25 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by chaadster
If a carbon fiber expert cutting up a variety of frames in the same way from different manufacturers and explaining to you what you're seeing ....
I would expect said expert to measure the deflection, yield, and other characteristics of the frame and then compare those vs. a known good frame and then discuss how visually detectable defects in the frame lead to the deltas.

What I actually see is a gentleman performing destructive visual inspections and then noodling about without any numbers or data.

I did find the different layup techniques in the differently aged frames to be interesting. I think it is clear that a process without voids and etc. can deliver a lighter frame. We don't know if the lighter frame with fewer voids and etc. is better than the BMC frame because no measurements were made and no comparisons were performed in the videos that I watched. We do know that at least some carbon fiber parts that work well are not aesthetically pleasing when cut apart.

The BMC frame, with all of its imperfections seems to have done a perfectly fine and safe job of carrying its riders about. I learned that that fairly mediocre carbon frames work really well, and that the aesthetics of disassembled carbon parts has little bearing on their real world performance.
Old 12-14-17, 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by pdoege
I would expect said expert to measure the deflection, yield, and other characteristics of the frame and then compare those vs. a known good frame and then discuss how visually detectable defects in the frame lead to the deltas.

What I actually see is a gentleman performing destructive visual inspections and then noodling about without any numbers or data.

I did find the different layup techniques in the differently aged frames to be interesting. I think it is clear that a process without voids and etc. can deliver a lighter frame. We don't know if the lighter frame with fewer voids and etc. is better than the BMC frame because no measurements were made and no comparisons were performed in the videos that I watched. We do know that at least some carbon fiber parts that work well are not aesthetically pleasing when cut apart.

The BMC frame, with all of its imperfections seems to have done a perfectly fine and safe job of carrying its riders about. I learned that that fairly mediocre carbon frames work really well, and that the aesthetics of disassembled carbon parts has little bearing on their real world performance.
No manufacturer releases its failure rate to the public, and not even to dealers. So you are making an assumption that BMC frames are equal to other frames for failure rates, but there is no reason to make that assumption. There is zero data.

It may very well be that the ugliest parts of those frames are in effectively unimportant areas. But why put loose chunks of non-load bearing fiber in an area it isn't needed? Maybe it just makes things easier to lay up, or maybe they shouldn't be hanging in space like that, it is hard to tell.

What isn't so hard to tell is when you cut up a bike that doesn't have any extra junk anywhere. There isn't any question about whether the stuff you see is merely extra or misplaced, because nothing is extra or misplaced.

The BMC internals make the case for a haphazard build process OR unnecessary extra material, neither of which are hallmarks of the highest level of bicycle technology. Which would be okey-dokey in an entry level Giant, but maybe not in an $8000 bike. These are the McClaren's of bikes, not Deng Fu ebay fodder.
Old 12-14-17, 04:28 AM
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3166 Post(s)
Liked 1,724 Times in 1,042 Posts

I’m hoping he does another series about reinventing the wheel for those who don’t know what round is.

As for the aesthetics having little bearing on real world performance, he does concede that while matte white looks great new, it’s hard to keep clean and so *might* not be a great paint finish for a bike. I guess you have to know both how matte paint works and have the contextual understanding that clean is better than dirty in order to make sense of his point.

So, if your point is that his vids aren’t for everyone, yeah, I can see where you’re coming from there.
Old 12-14-17, 05:27 AM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I dunno. He's just a guy who knows a thing or two about carbon fiber and manufacturing; he's not a representative of a standards institute, is he? Besides, if it weren't for the freak show nature of the video - if it were entirely scientific - it probably wouldn't get as many views.
Old 12-14-17, 06:50 AM

Bikes: 2017 Cannondale CAAD12 105, 2014 Giant Escape City

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 820 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
And you're not understanding what I mean:

Lowering QC is not like increasing a tolerance - you aren't settling on a known decrease in layup compression, for instance. You are settling for an increase in random flaws of unknown impact.
Lowering QC is identical to increasing a tolerance. Lower QC means more defects. Higher QC means fewer defects. QC level is tolerance for defects.

So you can control your level of QC in terms of increasing it, but you can't control how lower quality manifests in the product.
Lower QC manifests as more defects. It's true you won't know precisely which defects they are, but you know there will be more.

Another way of looking at this: If you can't control every process, you can't have expectations of quality for those uncontrolled processes. Not having any expectations, you can just buy insurance and hope the number of failures is low enough to not affect your bottom line.

To my eyes, the seat cluster looks like the tooling design does not effectively match the frame design, and the layup ends up a random mess of unconnected layers.
I don't know enPugh about CF manufacturing or this bike to know if that's a random mess or not, or if it matters.
Old 12-14-17, 07:04 AM

Bikes: 2017 Cannondale CAAD12 105, 2014 Giant Escape City

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 820 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Which would be okey-dokey in an entry level Giant, but maybe not in an $8000 bike. These are the McClaren's of bikes, not Deng Fu ebay fodder.
Are they? Bicycle Blue Book says it was $5,000 new. So maybe the Nissan GTR of bikes, not the McLaren.
Old 12-14-17, 07:31 AM
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

@Kontact, it’s hopeless...probably a case of Don’t Feed the Trolls.
Old 12-14-17, 08:47 AM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
I'd like to see one of his frames cut up and inspected like this.
Old 12-14-17, 09:26 AM

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by joesch
It rides great. Im pretty sure it will not last longer then my columbus frames from the 80s but its the best short term for riding fast. I will be sad when it cracks from an accident that would only scratch paint on a metal frame.
I've wrecked exactly the same number of carbon and steel bikes in my lifetime.
Old 12-14-17, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by memebag
Lowering QC is identical to increasing a tolerance. Lower QC means more defects. Higher QC means fewer defects. QC level is tolerance for defects.
That's simply not the case. When you use larger tolerances in a machined part, you know exactly the kind of problems you are going to run into, and can come up with assembly methods to counteract them.

You can't counteract decreased QC on the manufacturing level, because you don't have any expectations of where the problems will be. They are random in a way that a too wide or too narrow part are not.
Old 12-14-17, 12:41 PM

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4819 Post(s)
Liked 3,946 Times in 2,567 Posts
Originally Posted by Slaninar
Qull stems rely on just one bolt to hold the bars in place (attached to the fork - i.e. steering column). If it snaps, you instantly loose control of the bike. Threadless forks have at least two bolts holding the stem to the fork - probability of 2 bolts snapping at the same time is very, very low. I'd stay away from quill stems if at all possible (for 1" standard you can still find threadless forks and headsets, though they are not as common).
Yeah, sort of. Quill stems have the long bolt to the wedge or cone at the bottom and yes, it is key in preventing the stem from turning or lifting out. But it does not need to be especially tight. It never sees outside loads. And they very rarely fail. The bolt at the handlebars can fail but with traditional stems. the handlebars are still captive and just rotates. By contrast, threadless stems have bolts that require torque wrenches. When a one bolt breaks, frequently the others do too. The stem itself and the handlebar clamp have also been known to break. When these things happens, the only things holding the handlebars to the steerer are the brake and derailleur cables.

One of the aspects of quill stems I love is that I can very safely adjust handlebar height out on the road with just a 6mm allen wrench (and I might need a rock). No torque wrench, no headset adjustment, nothing to go wrong at all besides perhaps crooked handlebars and threadess setups have that same issue. A very wide range of acceptable torques.

And, yes, a quill stem can just break in two. I am sure there are those here who have seen this happen. (In my 50 years, I have never heard of a casting failure on any well designed and executed stem that hadn't seen use way beyond the expected.)

Lastly: "Qull stems rely on just one bolt to hold the bars in place (attached to the fork - i.e. steering column). If it snaps, you instantly loose control of the bike." Funny, in the Mechanics Forum you hear of people who cannot budge their stems after removing the bolt completely. Now, I ride with well greased quills and wedges and I still have to sometimes tap the bolt down to free the wedge. So in reality, even if this lightly loaded bolt does break, there is a very good chance that nothing will happen at all.

Ben
Old 12-14-17, 01:02 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
I have never been on a ride and decided I needed to change the handlebar height.
I have however wanted to adjust the headset which is much easier on the modern threadless system.
Old 12-14-17, 01:30 PM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by Dean V
I have never been on a ride and decided I needed to change the handlebar height.
The cables on my bikes are cut to the proper length, an raising my handlebars would require longer housings.
Old 12-14-17, 01:43 PM

Yeah, sort of. Quill stems have the long bolt to the wedge or cone at the bottom and yes, it is key in preventing the stem from turning or lifting out. But it does not need to be especially tight. It never sees outside loads. And they very rarely fail. The bolt at the handlebars can fail but with traditional stems. the handlebars are still captive and just rotates. By contrast, threadless stems have bolts that require torque wrenches. When a one bolt breaks, frequently the others do too. The stem itself and the handlebar clamp have also been known to break. When these things happens, the only things holding the handlebars to the steerer are the brake and derailleur cables.

One of the aspects of quill stems I love is that I can very safely adjust handlebar height out on the road with just a 6mm allen wrench (and I might need a rock). No torque wrench, no headset adjustment, nothing to go wrong at all besides perhaps crooked handlebars and threadess setups have that same issue. A very wide range of acceptable torques.

And, yes, a quill stem can just break in two. I am sure there are those here who have seen this happen. (In my 50 years, I have never heard of a casting failure on any well designed and executed stem that hadn't seen use way beyond the expected.)

Lastly: "Qull stems rely on just one bolt to hold the bars in place (attached to the fork - i.e. steering column). If it snaps, you instantly loose control of the bike." Funny, in the Mechanics Forum you hear of people who cannot budge their stems after removing the bolt completely. Now, I ride with well greased quills and wedges and I still have to sometimes tap the bolt down to free the wedge. So in reality, even if this lightly loaded bolt does break, there is a very good chance that nothing will happen at all.

Ben
You don't need a torque wrench on a threadless, either. Especially with a metal steerer. You can even change the bar height by rearranging spacers or flipping the stem on the road.

It is okay to like old school stuff, but you are manufacturing "issues" to bolster your preferences.
Old 12-14-17, 01:47 PM

Bikes: DiamondBack Podium 7, Focus Raven 1.0, Ritchey BreakAway Cross, (2) Trek 8500, Paramount PDG 90, Trek T2000, Redline Flight Pro 24

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
A few comments, even though this is deep into the thread.

- The BMC frame looks significantly worse inside than a Cannondale frame and a Giant Defy I saw in person. The section where the top tube and head tube join looks like my 1st grader built it.

They may look significantly better, but I'd never buy a Cannondale based on my experience with their reliability. I've been racing a long time and I've seen a lot of defects. Granted, Cannondale puts out far more bikes than BMC, so as a percentage it probably doesn't sound any alarms, but that doesn't make it any less scary.
Old 12-14-17, 02:04 PM

Many common brands have a wide variety of QC issues, and unless you personally experience them you are unlikely to hear a lot about the issues. It is somewhat open secret among Cervelo dealers that they're easy going warranty policy gets used - a lot. Not because the frames are breaking in half, but because of BBs that are too large or internal cables that don't work right.

In 2014 Cervelo recalled the P5 integrated bar system. I worked on the first failure - the screws were threaded into tubular anchors that pulled right out of the carbon when you leaned on the bars. Even a competent bike mechanic or cabinet maker would know better. The bike industry does not operate like aviation or automobiles - plenty of people designing and building bikes are frankly winging it.

Specialized just issued a recall on basic, lower end carbon fork.
Old 12-14-17, 03:56 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
That's simply not the case. When you use larger tolerances in a machined part, you know exactly the kind of problems you are going to run into, and can come up with assembly methods to counteract them.

You can't counteract decreased QC on the manufacturing level, because you don't have any expectations of where the problems will be. They are random in a way that a too wide or too narrow part are not.
Im not really going into the debate, but I will just comment that lots of normal bike components does not, Imo, need a lot of QC because they are dimensioned to take a lot of abuse, are built with proven, cheap manufacturing techniques and does not push the weight envelope. Im sure we can find examples of broken quill stem bolts, but from my experience, with normal commuter stuff, they just dont break. Race bike carbon frames on the other hand are tricky to manufacture and does indeed push weight envelope. That, Imo, requires much more vigilant QC and very conservative rejection criteria. BMC however seem to disagree with me on that point and that is why I would never consider a BMC, based on the video in #1.
Old 12-14-17, 03:58 PM
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1269 Post(s)
Liked 1,300 Times in 719 Posts
It is somewhat open secret among Cervelo dealers that they're easy going warranty policy gets used - a lot. Not because the frames are breaking in half, but because of BBs that are too large
Wait, wasn't the whole point of their oversized BB area to increase stiffness & durability?!?!
Old 12-14-17, 04:11 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 84 Posts

My $0.02:

There is a saying in manufacturing: "You can't inspect quality in"(meaning 'into the product').
Very obvious, once stated, but not really intuitive.

Looked at from 1000' up, quality control and manufacturing processes are both necessary steps to achieve the targeted goal(s).

There is a mind-set that insists on their separation.

The parts of the thread that haven't been a pissing contest have been quite enjoyable.
Sorry for the O/T musings.
Old 12-14-17, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Bob Ross
Wait, wasn't the whole point of their oversized BB area to increase stiffness & durability?!?!
Large as in "out of spec".
Old 12-14-17, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Racing Dan
Im not really going into the debate, but I will just comment that lots of normal bike components does not, Imo, need a lot of QC because they are dimensioned to take a lot of abuse, are built with proven, cheap manufacturing techniques and does not push the weight envelope. Im sure we can find examples of broken quill stem bolts, but from my experience, with normal commuter stuff, they just dont break. Race bike carbon frames on the other hand are tricky to manufacture and does indeed push weight envelope. That, Imo, requires much more vigilant QC and very conservative rejection criteria. BMC however seem to disagree with me on that point and that is why I would never consider a BMC, based on the video in #1.
I agree, to an extent. There are fewer ways for an extruded rim to go wrong without being so obviously wrong that it rejects itself. Some processes are their own QC.

Vacuum bagged monocoque construction has far too many places for things to go wrong. Mandrel wound tube with die formed carbon lugs has very few.
Old 12-14-17, 04:52 PM
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,571 Times in 1,579 Posts
If one person defines "quality" as

Originally Posted by chaadster
artistry and mastery
and another uses less-flowery language like "low failure rate", why would you be surprised that a thread will go on for pages with no consensus?
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 12-14-17, 04:59 PM
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
If one person defines "quality" as [artistry and mastery]

and another uses less-flowery language like "low failure rate", why would you be surprised that a thread will go on for pages with no consensus?
I did not, and do not, define quality as artistry and mastery.

The thread has gone on for pages without consensus because people do not have good comprehension skills.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.