Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Reds for water bottles/bidons that don’t make hands sticky

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Reds for water bottles/bidons that don’t make hands sticky

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-23, 09:11 PM

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4838 Post(s)
Liked 3,967 Times in 2,577 Posts
Or, be like the pros, They just accept that those bottles are sticky even before they've taken the first drink. You don't hear them complain.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 07-25-23, 09:23 PM
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2611 Post(s)
Liked 5,735 Times in 2,954 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Or, be like the pros, They just accept that those bottles are sticky even before they've taken the first drink. You don't hear them complain.
If we could only have support cars passing us food and bottles and sticky ones at that.

Old 07-25-23, 09:52 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 203 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
The reason I moved from only electrolytes to a carb electrolyte mix in my bottles: Road Cycling Academy

Just ordered two Podiums and will give them a go. Thanks for the responses.
I use Podiums and they work well. They have a shutoff. I make sure to keep this closed until I'm about ready to roll. The reason is I typically stick bottles in while the bike is still inside. I lift the bike up on it's back wheel to get out the garage door. While you have to squeeze the Podiums to get "water" out, it will also squirt out a little if it is jarred. If I keep the bottle shutoff closed, then nothing comes out as I bump over thresholds and such while the bike is tipped up.

FYI, the lids on these have a little diaphragm that is meant to be removed for cleaning.
Likes For Mtracer:
Old 07-25-23, 11:02 PM
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by Mtracer
I use Podiums and they work well. They have a shutoff. I make sure to keep this closed until I'm about ready to roll. The reason is I typically stick bottles in while the bike is still inside. I lift the bike up on it's back wheel to get out the garage door. While you have to squeeze the Podiums to get "water" out, it will also squirt out a little if it is jarred. If I keep the bottle shutoff closed, then nothing comes out as I bump over thresholds and such while the bike is tipped up.

FYI, the lids on these have a little diaphragm that is meant to be removed for cleaning.
I sure hope this doesn’t happen while hitting bumps while riding in the OPEN position. Thanks for the tips.

Old 07-26-23, 12:16 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1117 Post(s)
Liked 1,213 Times in 770 Posts
Get a new water bottle that doesn't leak. A water bottle is a water bottle. Choose on the basis of price (free is even better), color and availability the day you decide to buy one.

Is there really a significant difference between any water bottles? Nah.
Old 07-26-23, 06:04 AM

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3251 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,520 Posts
Switch to a Camelback and eliminate the bottles. Or use plain water and products like these. Saltstick even makes a dispenser that goes on your handlebars

https://www.amazon.com/SaltStick-Ele.../dp/B002IY96B0

https://www.amazon.com/Elite-Sportz-...c%2C162&sr=1-2

https://www.amazon.com/SaltStick-143...ct_top?ie=UTF8
Old 07-26-23, 06:37 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 4482 Post(s)
Liked 4,955 Times in 3,063 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
I have 6 Elite Fly bottles (small and large). They do flow well, but they don't seem to flow only into my mouth. It also sills out of the gap between the bottom of the nozzle and the bottle lid, invariably leaving sticky bottles and fingers, and dried carb drink on my frame. I'm also having a hell of a time keeping the inside of the Fly nozzles clean.
Now you mention it I agree they are a little prone to this. Cleaning is easy though as the nozzles do actually come apart and then they are easy to clean.

CBak Podiums on the other hand are a PITA to clean. I gave up with those in the end for that reason. That and I prefer the high flow rate on the Elites.
Old 07-26-23, 06:46 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 4482 Post(s)
Liked 4,955 Times in 3,063 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo

There is for me. IME they vary a lot in flowrate, ease of cleaning and how much plastic you can taste! Even how well they fit in bottle cages varies. Some nozzle designs are much better than others and there is a fair degree of personal preference. Over the years I’ve used all the common types and definitely have fairly strong preferences.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 07-26-23, 08:13 AM

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 203 Posts
I sure hope this doesn’t happen while hitting bumps while riding in the OPEN position. Thanks for the tips.
Bottom line, when in the open position, you squeeze it to get fluid out. The squeezing puts pressure on the top to allow fluid out. Strong enough jarring can do the same thing. But for me it was more having full bottles, and the bike tipped up on its back wheel. This causes the water to already be up against the lid. Rather like the position you need it in to drink, tilted up so the water is by the opening.

In a normal riding position, the air is going to be at the top. So even if a bump caused the valve to open, you’d get air not water.

I’ve never noticed an issue, other than what I described before. I will find a small amount of dried drink on my down tube after rides. I don’t know whether this bounced out of the bottle or more likely just from drops of drink coming off the bottle after I take a drink.

What I never have is any noticeable sticky drink on the bottle or my hands. I use a mix with maltodextrin, and that’s sticky stuff.

Bottles not in active use, like one on the seat tube or in a Jersey pocket, I keep the shutoff valve closed. That seals it tight.
Likes For Mtracer:
Old 07-26-23, 08:22 AM
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10188 Post(s)
Liked 5,892 Times in 3,175 Posts
I like a couple of reds crushed up and dissolved in my bidon. Makes the ride go really fast.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 07-26-23, 09:31 AM
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 5030 Post(s)
Liked 8,228 Times in 3,889 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
Maybe the difference isn't significant, but I'm sensitive to some of the subtle differences.
Old 07-26-23, 09:33 AM
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Originally Posted by PeteHski
Now you mention it I agree they are a little prone to this. Cleaning is easy though as the nozzles do actually come apart and then they are easy to clean.
I pulled apart the nozzle on a couple of the Fly bottles that I typically use with carb mix, and was horrified at how they looked inside. I need to find some sort of brush to get in there.
Old 07-26-23, 10:32 AM
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1826 Post(s)
Liked 1,467 Times in 1,005 Posts
Does anyone know of a bicycle water bottle that has a 'flip-up'- style spout like a coffee mug for an automobile? A spout like that would be awesome for me versus the traditional pull-up/push down spout. And the tops of the mugs usually don't leak (from my experience). If I'm stopped I'll just unscrew the top of a traditional water bottle and drink it like its a glass of water. FWIW: I tried a few of the coffee mugs I have but none fit a water bottle holder, they're all too skinny or too fat.
Old 07-26-23, 11:18 AM
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 1,219 Times in 697 Posts
This is exactly why I stopped drinking any type of mix, but when I did I would always ride with one bottle of sports drink and one of plain water, then use the water bottle to squirt away any stickiness I accumulated.
Old 07-26-23, 11:46 AM

Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Liked 646 Times in 362 Posts
Originally Posted by skidder
I'm just a plain tap water guy. I sometimes like to squirt a little on my face/arms during warm weather rides, and doing that with a mixed drink wouldn't work too well.
Plus you can use the water to wash your hands after changing a flat or to rinse a wound from road rash. I used to use bottled drinks but now it's solid food and water. I add salt to the solid food to make sure I get enough electrolytes and no more sticky bike, sticky fingers, and green stuff growing in my bottles. Your water intake varies widely with weather conditions, but your calorie intake doesn't. It makes no sense to combine hydration and calories in the same source.
Old 07-26-23, 11:53 AM
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10477 Post(s)
Liked 11,995 Times in 6,143 Posts
Not Reds <-thanks spell check
I was gonna say, don't use Reds. They'll make you drowsy and you'll fall off.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 07-26-23, 12:08 PM
-------

Quoted: 9656 Post(s)
Liked 6,366 Times in 3,506 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
I like a couple of reds crushed up and dissolved in my bidon. Makes the ride go really fast.
Blues can be good on rest stops, depending on who you are riding with.
Old 07-26-23, 01:36 PM
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by genejockey
I was gonna say, don't use Reds. They'll make you drowsy and you'll fall off.
Whites? Pedal harder until you fall off.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 07-26-23, 02:15 PM

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4838 Post(s)
Liked 3,967 Times in 2,577 Posts
Originally Posted by Mtracer
Bottom line, when in the open position, you squeeze it to get fluid out. The squeezing puts pressure on the top to allow fluid out. Strong enough jarring can do the same thing. But for me it was more having full bottles, and the bike tipped up on its back wheel. This causes the water to already be up against the lid. Rather like the position you need it in to drink, tilted up so the water is by the opening.

In a normal riding position, the air is going to be at the top. So even if a bump caused the valve to open, you’d get air not water.

I’ve never noticed an issue, other than what I described before. I will find a small amount of dried drink on my down tube after rides. I don’t know whether this bounced out of the bottle or more likely just from drops of drink coming off the bottle after I take a drink.

What I never have is any noticeable sticky drink on the bottle or my hands. I use a mix with maltodextrin, and that’s sticky stuff.

Bottles not in active use, like one on the seat tube or in a Jersey pocket, I keep the shutoff valve closed. That seals it tight.
I prefer bottles with large enough nozzles that I can easily suck the fluid down with little squeeze. Any bottle that can leak will with enough of a squeeze but ene a poor bottle will not (or barely) leak while you suck. Good old physics. Increase the air pressure inside, everything wants to come out any way it can. Lower that pressure to below outside and the leakage is inward.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 07-26-23, 02:22 PM
Habitual User

Whites? Pedal harder until you fall off.
And maybe die. RIP Tom Simpson.
Old 07-27-23, 09:43 PM
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 4424 Post(s)
Liked 4,069 Times in 2,714 Posts
Originally Posted by skidder
I'm just a plain tap water guy. I sometimes like to squirt a little on my face/arms during warm weather rides, and doing that with a mixed drink wouldn't work too well.
There is a point at which you cannot just drink water. I have hit that wall many times on longer rides. Your body doesn't just need the replacement of water but also the electrolytes and salts and such it is loosing. Typically on long rides I have one bidon for just water and one that eventually gets a drink mix or starts with it if I know the route or have made good plans.

In terms of bottles for the OP, Camelbak Podium Chill or Ice bottles and nothing else. I have gotten a good number of free bottles over the years and will still pay for Camelbaks and yes there is a difference. I don't get flavors from Camelbaks the water tastes like water every time even if I leave the water in there for a week or two it still tastes good and not like plastic or chemicals and if I do have mix in the water I can rinse it with water and it won't hold onto that flavor and the water tastes like water still. Though usually I will rinse twice (no soap just water) just to make sure. I haven't had any real leaks though on some rare occasions I accidentally partially close it and go to drink water and it sprays out poorly and gets me a little wet but that is rare and I haven't had an open valve bottle leak on me yet in the 11 years I have been using them (one of those bottles until I lost it a year ago was that old and still in constant use with no real changes to the inside with minimal cleaning though I did clean the valves and the threads every so often).
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 07-28-23, 09:19 AM

Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Liked 646 Times in 362 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
There is a point at which you cannot just drink water. I have hit that wall many times on longer rides. Your body doesn't just need the replacement of water but also the electrolytes and salts and such it is loosing.
What you are telling us is that you are not eating properly. You can combine food with salt to get the electrolytes you need and get your hydration from the water. Based on distance and effort, you can estimate your calorie needs and eat enough solid food (salted) to fuel the ride. Based on the temperature, humidity, and your own past experience you can estimate your water and salt requirements. If you have hit the wall you are either not eating enough or are out of shape.
Old 07-28-23, 10:12 AM
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 4424 Post(s)
Liked 4,069 Times in 2,714 Posts
Originally Posted by KerryIrons
What you are telling us is that you are not eating properly. You can combine food with salt to get the electrolytes you need and get your hydration from the water. Based on distance and effort, you can estimate your calorie needs and eat enough solid food (salted) to fuel the ride. Based on the temperature, humidity, and your own past experience you can estimate your water and salt requirements. If you have hit the wall you are either not eating enough or are out of shape.
True to a point, yes you eat saltier foods but in some cases while cycling you cannot always get down the solid food you want and maybe to a degree don't want to eat a lot of gels and such. However hydration is still not just pure water and if it were products like Nuun wouldn't really need to exist. I guess some people can just do the same thing over and over but some people like myself could use a bit of variety and it is nice when that variety can also include some electrolytes and such.
Old 07-28-23, 01:10 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
Foolish to consume refined sugars while riding that results in spikes in your blood sugar level. Better to eat dried fruit and nuts where the fiber slows down the absorption in your intestines. The energy drink business rakes in millions in profits but that does mean that anyone other than a pro racer on a tour needs to consume them.