Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

LBSes - Borrowing Tools Policy - Are they just mean or what?!

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

LBSes - Borrowing Tools Policy - Are they just mean or what?!

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-08, 12:47 PM
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AssosMan

I mean, the LBSes don't seem to have a problem letting anyone friggen test ride (borrow) a $2000+ bike. Why do they have a problem letting me borrow a $10 tool? I'll be using for 30 seconds (unlike a 1 hr. test ride) and I'll be sitting right in front of them (unlike a test ride) and I would have actually bought something from them (unlike a test ride). What's the fault in my logic here?
Because bike shops make more money on service than they do on bike sales. If they loan you a tool they helped themselves out of some money. DON'T EVER ASK TO BORROW TOOLS!!!!!! That's just the way it is.
Sure you could say, They lost money when I decided not to make my purchase from them. The thing is doing it one time isn't really a problem. But when others find out they did it for you, then everyone wants free tool usage. Then it's a huge problem.
Old 10-12-08, 12:48 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts
Dumbest post ever. You are totally unreasonable. Buy or rent your own tools if you need them for anything around your house. You shouldn't need other people to tell you this. It is amazing how little common sense some people have.
Old 10-12-08, 02:20 PM

Bikes: Y-Foil 77

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jrobe
Dumbest post ever. You are totally unreasonable. Buy or rent your own tools if you need them for anything around your house. You shouldn't need other people to tell you this. It is amazing how little common sense some people have.
OK..... I already admitted for being an ahole, but prioir experiences led me into this in the first place:

"Yes, I admit I was wrong ripping on the LBSes. I come from a small town (less than 30 people) and as I said in a previous post, I was basing my impression on my first bike store tool lending experience (with PerformanceBike)... At the time it didn't seem like a big deal and it obviosuly didn't even bother the mechanics so I figured it was a normal thing to do.

So in the end, I just apparently found the nicest bike shop around and I'll never ask any other LBSes for tools! "

The very first time I asked for tools I was treated very nicely. I just thought that it was something that was going to to extended out from every bike shop.
Old 10-12-08, 02:23 PM

Bikes: Y-Foil 77

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by telebianchi
What would the shop charge you to do the work? $30? $45? So by spending $10 you are saving money.

I've got several tools at home that I've only used one time. Stuff for the bike, car, house repairs. It's just part of the price you pay to save money compared to hiring someone else to do it. Would you as a painter to borrow their brush so you could touch up a window frame?
Too funny (I painted for a summer before). I had a guy do exactly that and I actually gave him the brush without even thinking.... Didn't seem like a big deal to me......
Old 10-12-08, 04:15 PM
Go as fast as you can

Bikes: Ritte Bosberg with SRAM Red and Mavic Cosmic Carbone SL's

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
As a former LBS employee, I can tell you that it has a lot to do with liability and a little to do with risk. Most shops' insurance carriers don't allow them to have customers in the work area, because it's a liability if you get hurt. Same thing if you hurt yourself with their shop tools.

As for the risk, shops rely on their tools to make money on service. If you borrow and lose, steal, or break their tool, they're screwed. Not just the lost service fees, but the upset customers which means losing the important repeat business.

Better than the blender example, do you go into a car mechanic's shop and ask to borrow his tools? The dealership ones let people "borrow" the $40,000 cars for a test ride.
+1/ I also worked in a shop and we never lent tools specifically for liability reasons. Not to mention, a lot of time the one tool to help someone out turns into a mechanic stopping what they have to do and helping the person borrowing the tool. And the car/mechanic analogy is spot on. So be happy the Pbike let you use their stuff and don't hold a grudge against your LBS.
Old 10-12-08, 05:17 PM

Bikes: Pedal Force QS3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BananaTugger
Pay for it, then you can use it.

Would you want someone walking into your kitchen, buying some bananas and ice from you, and then stuffing them into your blender and walking out with a smoothie?
So they're buying the ice and bananas........are they making me one too?
Old 10-13-08, 03:05 AM

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Time to stop hitting on AssosMan. I understand where he is coming from, based on his first experience with borrowing tools from a small-town LBS (small-town meant in a nice way).

He's now a bit wiser, and suitably admonished, I would think.
Old 10-13-08, 06:10 AM

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by operator
Lawl.

We don't lend out tools. If you aren't a jackass, we'll come out WITH the tool and loosen/cut/adjust whatever.

It's non-negotiable, just like labour prices. I cut and crimped on a cable end for a customer gratis, expecting nothing and he tipped me more than my time is worth. Guess who's going to get preferntial service the next time he comes in?

I've found that beer and pizza work wonders on the mechanics at my LBS. That, and buying stuff from the shop like bikes and equipment over the years. I also give my old components to one of the wrenches who uses them to fix up bikes for poor people. The only tool I've used of theirs was a chain tool. They sold me a chain but I needed it on the bike right then but the shop was swamped with bikes so I asked if I could use their tool and they said sure. Their repair shop is actually in a separate building behind the shop.
Old 10-13-08, 07:49 AM
30 YR Wrench

Bikes: Waterford R-33, Madone 6.5, Trek 520

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
As a shop owner and veteran wrencher, asking to borrow tools without first having formed some sort of relationship with the shop, i.e. beer, doughnuts, sending other customers our way, etc, is the highest form of arrogance. You might as well have asked for $20 cash from the mechanic. You are actively seeking to avoid compensating the shop for its convenience and investment. It makes you a cheap panhandler who doesn't respect what other people's hard work and money have bought.

Now, I have a few customers who are heroes. They send every cyclist they meet my way. They can be counted as an advocate. Do I loan them an occasional tool? You bet your bottom bracket.

It's about the relationship.
Old 10-13-08, 08:53 AM

Bikes: Yeti ASRc, Focus Raven 29er, Flyxii FR316

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd like to think that I have a similar relationship with the owner and mechanics of the shop that sponsors my team.

They've asked me to wrench on bikes, work the front desk, fix computer problems, man the phones, and I've essentially sold a bike for them. I've done so freely and willingly. Not to mention I am a billboard for their shop 15-20hrs a week. I recognize that being friendly and helpful comes back to me in the long run.

I am allowed to walk directly into their maintenance area, pick up whatever tool I need, and have no questions or so much as a second glance from the guys in the shop. I also got whatever I needed at cost, and sometime free, for little things like cables and housing ($30+ retail, mind ye).
Old 10-13-08, 09:16 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeWise1
As a shop owner and veteran wrencher, asking to borrow tools without first having formed some sort of relationship with the shop, i.e. beer, doughnuts, sending other customers our way, etc, is the highest form of arrogance. You might as well have asked for $20 cash from the mechanic. You are actively seeking to avoid compensating the shop for its convenience and investment. It makes you a cheap panhandler who doesn't respect what other people's hard work and money have bought.

Now, I have a few customers who are heroes. They send every cyclist they meet my way. They can be counted as an advocate. Do I loan them an occasional tool? You bet your bottom bracket.

It's about the relationship.
non sequitur:

if someone came into your shop a couple of times (on the same day) and bought something each time, then came back and asked for a hand taking off a cassette, would you charge them? if so, how much?
Old 10-13-08, 10:09 AM
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
If I buy a part from the LBS they will install it at no charge with their tools
If I bring a part I bought somewhere else to the LBS they will install it for charge with their tools
If I want to install parts myself I can buy tools at the LBS

What more could you want?
Old 10-13-08, 03:16 PM
30 YR Wrench

Bikes: Waterford R-33, Madone 6.5, Trek 520

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by botto
non sequitur:

if someone came into your shop a couple of times (on the same day) and bought something each time, then came back and asked for a hand taking off a cassette, would you charge them? if so, how much?
Depends on their attitude. Oddly, if someone offers to pay for a little thing like that before I head to the register, I am much more likely to say "don't worry about it" than if they stand there acting impatient then state "you mean you're gonna charge me for that"? after putting them ahead of everyone else. They do that and they're definitely getting charged!
Old 10-13-08, 03:42 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeWise1
Depends on their attitude. Oddly, if someone offers to pay for a little thing like that before I head to the register, I am much more likely to say "don't worry about it" than if they stand there acting impatient then state "you mean you're gonna charge me for that"? after putting them ahead of everyone else. They do that and they're definitely getting charged!
sounds like you'd be a LBS i'd go back to, unlike one particular shop i visited this summer.
Old 10-13-08, 06:53 PM
www.markreynoldsfund.org

Bikes: 1993 Titanium Miyata Elevation 8000, Scattante XRL

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I understand and usually advocate having the right tool for the job, but headset cups can be removed using a regular screwdriver and a hammer if done carefully. It is what I do on the rare instance that I need to remove them.

Please donate to the Mark Reynolds Memorial First Bike Fund at www.markreynoldsfund.org
Old 10-13-08, 07:35 PM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by mazdaspeed
That's just ridiculous. I had my last MTB in the shop so they could adjust the dish on the wheel (it had no cranks at the time) and I bought a set of cranks from them, which they charged me $40 to install to check the dish then just take off again (per my request). This is why I only go back if I absolutely HAVE to for my bike to be ridable.
What? You asked them to waste their time by not only installing the cranks (which don't have any relationship to dish whatsoever) but thenremoving them for no good reason? And you're complaining about that!? There's always something that needs doing, and time is money. I'd have charged you $40 as well, and not felt a hint of remorse about it. Of course, we might never have got that far, as I would have done my best to politely inform you that there's no need to install cranks in order to "check dish," so if you didn't want the damn things to stay on the bike, you best not have them installed in the first place.

There are a couple of shops who will lend me an Allen wrench or pedal wrench for a minute if I ask them, but they know me pretty well and know that I'm a mechanic myself, so it's not a big deal. I'm still hesitant to do it without also buying a Clif bar or inner tube or something, especially at the shop where the owner doesn't know me nearly as well (the other place insists that I use their truing stand - actually saves them time and aggravation - so not a problem there). If I were to bring my bike in with the intention of getting some serious work done, though, I'm not going to ask to borrow the necessary tools to cut a steerer and install a headset. There's a fair amount of money in that kind of work, and I would feel like a jerk even if they agreed to let me use their tools and their space without paying for the privilege. Quickly tightening up a crank or swapping pedals is one thing, installing cranks or a headset, etc, is a whole 'nother story.
Old 10-13-08, 08:05 PM

Bikes: Moots Vamoots, Colnago C60, Santa Cruz Stigmata CC, and too many other bikes I don't ride

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by mazdaspeed
I think you're over thinking it.. you found a good shop which makes you more fortunate than 90% of us I'd say so just be thankful.
Where I am at, I have found that Performance Bikes to be the most helpful and friendly, even though sometimes they are pretty screwed up about their inventories and stuff

My local LBS can be pretty much categorized into two types. One kind is all about selling, not much different from a used car dealer. They use the same pressure tactics and double talks, only worse. They are typically staffed by non-owner young guys. Another kind is the snobby shops where if you ask one question too many or too naive for their taste, you will get the "cold war" treatment. They are typically staffed by the owner or the owner's kids or friends.

Obviously this is a gross generalization and there are good people in some of these shops. I just haven't found that many. So for now, I'd rather take my chances with PBikes any time.
Old 10-13-08, 08:08 PM

Bikes: n, I would like n+1

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 108 Posts
If you buy a headset that costs $130 from them they'll probably do the install for at no charge you if you ask. Also, it may look like a $10 pipe with flared ends, and for that cost you can make one with some copper pipe and a hack saw (it works great, I've done it), but it really does cost more than that. Most shops don't loan out tools because of the stupid people in the world that believe things like 15mm cone wrench==pedal wrench.
Old 10-13-08, 10:27 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AssosMan
Yes, I do wear Assos clothing. Although I do mention the tool costing $10, it is something I probably won't use again. Plus you kind of missed the point; it is a matter if principle - not money.
The real principle involved is you have no established relationship with any LBS right now. You want to buy a King head set at $130 which is little profit to the LBS.(they are listed on ebay all the time at that price, you decide). A real headset remover is more like a $50 tool, not $10. My LBS has allowed me to take a tool without paying for it and they are assured that if it works for me, they will get the price asked.
Their shop tools, I would never ask to borrow.

My suggestion is a long punch and hammer is all you need to remove a head set with out frame damage. You should be able to borrow these tools from someone.
Old 10-13-08, 11:59 PM

Bikes: 2006 road bike, 2012 cx bike, 2012 carbon rb, 2014 hardtail

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
do you use Linux? Not everything is free anyway, good that u found pbike
Old 10-14-08, 05:16 AM
Old but slow

Bikes: 3 road 1 mountain

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Obviously money isn't an issue since you wear top of the line Assos and decided upon another top of the line product in the Chris King headset. You state that you have the mechanical knowledge to do the repair/installation of said headset yourself but refuse to buy the necessary tool because you claim it'll be the only time that you forsee using/needing it. Baffling. Absolutely baffling.

If I am incorrect about money not being an issue why didn't you simply buy a less expensive headset and use the difference to have it installed? Or better yet, get a job in the bike shop and have access to all the tools and repairs that you need?

In answer to your question: Yes, it's just you!

Last edited by sagginwagin; 10-14-08 at 05:21 AM.
Old 10-14-08, 05:35 AM
Old but slow

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bontrager
Quit giving the OP $hit for trying
..........to get it done for free or on the cheap!
Old 10-14-08, 05:43 AM
Old but slow

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm sure most of these posts are submitted after reading maybe the first 1 or 2 pages (like mine!) so I didn't see the OP's eventual partial admission of error. I'm we don't intend to pile it on to him, I personally didn't take the time to read each and every post on every page.
Old 10-14-08, 09:24 AM

Bikes: Pake track, Soma DoubleCross, LeMond Etape, Maruishi RoadAce 303

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am wondering how the OP was intending to properly install the new headset without a headset press. But I guess that's just another $10 tool, too.

I know that people install headsets without presses all the time, but I also know that occasionally some of these people damage their head tube in the process.
Old 10-14-08, 09:28 AM

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
At the bike shop in my neighborhood, the staff don't like anyone to touch the tools, including other people who work at the shop. Each tool has a place, and that "place" is not in someone else's hand. However, the shop sometimes borrows from other shops. There are expensive tools that a shop might use fifteen minutes a year...borrowing that tool from a bigger shop makes more sense than buying one.

Last edited by alanbikehouston; 10-14-08 at 09:32 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.