Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Performance Bikes line-up

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Performance Bikes line-up

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-23, 10:07 AM
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 802 Times in 391 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
This happens a lot in the C & V world.
Actually it's pretty uncommon but hey, perception is reality. Right?
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Old 01-20-23, 10:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
I like colored tires. I also don't give a flaming burst of intestinal gas for what others like, most of the time.

I like frames with no decals. if people ask, I tell them what I am riding ....

One issue with decals is that often manufacturers will clear-coat over them. if not, try that hairdryer trick .... or test various solvents on the paint under thew bottom bracket, where touch-ups won't matter. Maybe alcohol or vinegar or mineral spirits? But test on the paint first, I'd say.

This is an old shot of my blue-tired, badgeless, decal-free Raleigh.
I agree 100% That's a beautiful bike. I think you may be right about the decals having clear coat over them. I don't feel any edges like I do on other bikes.
Old 01-20-23, 10:28 AM
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Bet you are! One last tip- the color matched tires have been a joke for quite a few years. I know they came with the bikes but replace them with black or tan walls as soon as you can.

Is this the daily memo from the cool kids table?
Old 01-20-23, 10:32 AM
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by 6door74
Originally Posted by Maelochs
I like colored tires. I also don't give a flaming burst of intestinal gas for what others like, most of the time.

I like frames with no decals. if people ask, I tell them what I am riding ....

One issue with decals is that often manufacturers will clear-coat over them. if not, try that hairdryer trick .... or test various solvents on the paint under thew bottom bracket, where touch-ups won't matter. Maybe alcohol or vinegar or mineral spirits? But test on the paint first, I'd say.

This is an old shot of my blue-tired, badgeless, decal-free Raleigh.

I appreciate the hell out of shading blue for entirely idiosyncratic reasons--I'm mildly red-green colorblind, so blue appears especially vivid to me. If I could find the kind of tires I like in blue, I'd definitely buy them!
Old 01-20-23, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by livedarklions
I appreciate the hell out of shading blue for entirely idiosyncratic reasons--I'm mildly red-green colorblind, so blue appears especially vivid to me. If I could find the kind of tires I like in blue, I'd definitely buy them!
Not sure what you're looking for in a tire but I will likely replace the Hutchison's with these. I got a set in yellow for another bike.

Likes For 6door74:
Old 01-20-23, 11:16 AM
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 11009 Post(s)
Liked 7,537 Times in 4,214 Posts
You won't find much info, it's a generic bike comparable to offerings from BD. Never much interest in reviewing them. Not to say there is anything wrong with it, probably will give you good service. Maybe think again about trying to disguise the brand. You won't fool folks who know bikes and folks who don't won't care. That's an attractive green, IMO.
The OP didnt say they want to disguise the brand, they said the word 'carbon' was tacky and wanted to remove it. Those are 2 different things.
I dislike massive branding or overbranding on frames. I have removed some before and it was not in an effort to disguise the brand. Not sure why thats the conclusion you chose to draw. I also didnt see any comments about trying to fool others.

Oh, and what green?
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 01-20-23, 11:17 AM
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 11009 Post(s)
Liked 7,537 Times in 4,214 Posts
Bet you are! One last tip- the color matched tires have been a joke for quite a few years. I know they came with the bikes but replace them with black or tan walls as soon as you can.
Dang, did the OP kick your puppy?
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 01-20-23, 12:00 PM

Bikes: Focus Arriba, Specialized Roubaix Expert, Bianchi Impulso Allroad

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 53 Posts
Scattante R 650 Ultegra 2003 Road Bike user reviews : 4 out of 5 - 25 reviews - roadbikereview.com

One of the reviews says the frame was made by Easton.
Old 01-20-23, 12:33 PM
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Quoted: 1793 Post(s)
Liked 1,634 Times in 936 Posts
I own a Scattante DX350 It was intended to be a CX bike. DX being morse for "Distance Expedition" or some such.

A fellow in the riding group has the exact same bike. Same stickers. Same everything. His says Fuji on it & is a year newer.

I guess it makes sense. Performance Bikes creditor owned Fuji. So having the same production run meet 2 different customer budgets was a sensible proposition.

Mine came with Sora 2x9 His, something much nicer & better wheels.

The DX350 has 2 really peculiar things that scream second tier production. One being 41-42mm-ish headtube diameter. Which would be appropriate for 1inch integrated (or is it ZS?) standard. But ,the headset & steerer is 1&1/8. Consequently a VP-010ACG is the only headset that will work unless I swap in a 1 inch fork. That ain't happenin'. I bought spare headsets just to be sure.

The other is 130mm disk rear dropouts. Talk about a royal PIA. The OEM Formula hubs are long gone. All there is to do now is shove in a 135mm disc hub & live with the consequences or pull some spacers off of a cup/cone hub & machine some mm's out of the disc brake interface to physically locate the rotor further inboard so the IS mount doesn't interfere with the rotor & building a wheel around it.

Hopefully the OP's bike has a more mainstream selection of "standards."

Car dependency is a tax.
Old 01-20-23, 12:45 PM

Ha! Guess we just started off wrong. When he asked about "debadging" his generic bike but not the Trek or Specialized, well I suppose I just assumed the usual. He says otherwise.... Anyway, I haven't seen the colored tire thing in years but I'm not exposed to hipsters or lone wolf type cyclists. Obviously folks will do what they want with their own bikes, my work is done here.
Yes, you ASSumed the reason why I didn't debadge the others. A simple question of why not would have answered that. I explained to you why I hadn't with the specialized and the trek would have been a similar response. The trek was black and there would have been no fun in a plain black bike.

I wouldn't describe myself as a lone wolf cyclist, but I'm glad I haven't rode with anyone like you. In the event I find myself with a group that has people like you, I will certainly make the first safe u-turn I can and find another route for the day.

Have a good day

P.S. Since I'm not riding a bike today, I'm going to wear my Blue Ray Ban glasses in honor of you. I hope color glasses aren't a joke too.

Last edited by 6door74; 01-20-23 at 12:53 PM.
Old 01-20-23, 01:18 PM

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4819 Post(s)
Liked 3,946 Times in 2,567 Posts
Originally Posted by 6door74
That was one of the things i liked most about it so i will be replacing them with blue tires when the time comes. Once again, in case you haven't gotten the point already, I "style" my bikes to my liking. Not to impress you, anyone, or to disguise my in house brand. The bike was a bright color (+1) , great price (+2), and a great weight (+3). I actually was buying it for my son and when i felt the weight compared to my Trek, I decided to keep it for myself. It looked good and felt good. Win Win

I think it's quite clear that either you're one of those snobby cyclists whose ego rests in their bike brand/model/cost, or someone whose ego has been bruised because of your bike brand/model/cost. Either way, that's not me, but it sure looks like it's you.
I like the blue tires. I don't work hard on color coordinating and there are a lot of bikes with matching tires I don't think work but yours does. (And the current trend? Give it a few years and it will change back.)

Edit: And tires - one of my all time favorites are the Vittoria Open Paves in green. Wonderful wet weather tires. (So easily appropriate for half the western Oregon year.) I don't do green bikes so they don't coordinate but my bikes like 'em. They get to spend more time upright. There are also black Open Paves but they don't have the same vibe. Was just out riding yesterday on my avatar bike and the greenies. Just perfect. Dry day. Wet pavement.

Last edited by 79pmooney; 01-20-23 at 01:28 PM.
Old 01-20-23, 03:00 PM

Well heck sonny, I tried to be nice. And don't worry about the U turn, we'd drop you leaving the parking lot. Edit- that pink bike thing needs some bar end streamers to complete the look.
Nah, that would cause too much drag and likely mess up the cinematic footage from my 360 camera. I do plan on changing the bar tape it came with though. That shade of purple doesn't do it for me.

Last edited by 6door74; 01-20-23 at 03:04 PM.
Old 01-20-23, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I like the blue tires. I don't work hard on color coordinating and there are a lot of bikes with matching tires I don't think work but yours does. (And the current trend? Give it a few years and it will change back.)

Edit: And tires - one of my all time favorites are the Vittoria Open Paves in green. Wonderful wet weather tires. (So easily appropriate for half the western Oregon year.) I don't do green bikes so they don't coordinate but my bikes like 'em. They get to spend more time upright. There are also black Open Paves but they don't have the same vibe. Was just out riding yesterday on my avatar bike and the greenies. Just perfect. Dry day. Wet pavement.
You're not the first person to mention those so I just googled the green open pave tires. They are quite nice. I ended up with the Vittoria Rubino Pro and they have them in a few colors. I saw somewhere that a team will be riding on the Vittoria Corsa tires in yellow or blue, I forget. I'm sure they will hit the market at some point for those who like that tire and want to have an option besides gumwall.
​​​​​​
​​
Likes For 6door74:
Old 01-20-23, 06:10 PM
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 925 Times in 539 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
This happens a lot in the C & V world.
Originally Posted by Fahrenheit531
I travel in Vintage Cannondale circles, and it happens irregularly , but often enough.
Someone will post a “What model do I have?” or “Is this a good deal?” Linked to a listing of a bare-aluminum bike with Cannondale decals on it. Polished Cannondale frames were a signature in the 1990s, and the badging was pretty minimal, so it’s a fairly simple look to try to emulate.
The welding quality usually gives it away almost instantly, though. USA ‘Dales were known for their exceptionally smooth “double-pass” welds; if you can see the weld bead, it’s not a Cannondale.
Likes For Ironfish653:
Old 01-20-23, 09:26 PM
52psi

Originally Posted by Ironfish653
I travel in Vintage Cannondale circles, and it happens irregularly , but often enough.
Someone will post a “What model do I have?” or “Is this a good deal?” Linked to a listing of a bare-aluminum bike with Cannondale decals on it. Polished Cannondale frames were a signature in the 1990s, and the badging was pretty minimal, so it’s a fairly simple look to try to emulate.
The welding quality usually gives it away almost instantly, though. USA ‘Dales were known for their exceptionally smooth “double-pass” welds; if you can see the weld bead, it’s not a Cannondale.
Something like this?

Pretty sure it's the fastest bike I've owned. Just couldn't love it though, and sold it not long after acquisition.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Likes For Fahrenheit531:
Old 01-20-23, 09:38 PM

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3244 Post(s)
Liked 2,523 Times in 1,516 Posts
They come through often enough. Here's one here.

Fake? Colnago
Old 01-20-23, 09:45 PM

Here's another with a link in the thread to the original thread where the person made the imposter. The bike changes hands and is relisted with no indication of it being a replica.

A Fake 3Rensho?
Old 01-20-23, 09:54 PM

Here is a picture of my Trek 412 waiting for it's Masi decals in response to the Breaking Away Masi replica bike from a Trek thread and the Making a De Rosa thread from a few years ago.

Edit: Got to find it on my phone. It'll get here eventually.

Last edited by seypat; 01-20-23 at 10:01 PM.
Old 01-20-23, 10:24 PM
52psi

I do appreciate the effort you've put into proving my point.
Old 01-21-23, 05:43 AM
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2763 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
I put an Apple sticker over the HP logo on my previous laptop.

That’s all I have to add, here.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 01-21-23, 04:30 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1116 Post(s)
Liked 1,211 Times in 768 Posts
Re: removing decals. I've removed decals from my Litespeed with acetone. They obviously weren't clear coated over, but were much thinner than the thicker "sticker" kind that are on some bikes. Doesn't harm titanium. But I would try it on an obscure area before using it on paint. A quick search told me that it might likely dissolve paint, so be forewarned.

I've also used a heat gun to remove decals from bikes and vehicles. Hair dryers can serve the same purpose.
Old 01-21-23, 04:47 PM

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4457 Post(s)
Liked 1,590 Times in 1,047 Posts
Scattante was originally a Supergo branding prior to their Performance buy out.

If above the clear coat, moderate heat or acetone. If below, fine paper wet sanding until the acetone lifts it, followed by a spritzes of clear coat and some polish to remove the orange peel. I de-Bianchi'd a fork once.

Many value priced frames put the decals above the coat. Acetone will bleach those immediately.
Old 01-21-23, 08:33 PM

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26448 Post(s)
Liked 10,406 Times in 7,225 Posts
...whenever someone mentions Scattante bicycles, I am immediately transported back to the Bike Snob's analysis from 2008.
Old 01-21-23, 08:39 PM

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26448 Post(s)
Liked 10,406 Times in 7,225 Posts

...this was a project built out of a made in Taiwan track frame, that was pretty cheap at an end of the year closeout. It's completely different from your bike, and the lettering is, at best, some sort of stick on vinyl lettering that comes off pretty easily, even if youi don't want it to.
Old 01-24-23, 05:50 AM

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV disk, and rim brake

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 61 Posts
Enjoy your new bike and nice color.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.