Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Traffic signals ffs

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Traffic signals ffs

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-14, 01:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
So what make you think more rules and billboards are going to help.....Folks don't follow the ones we have now.....

Red lights are universal the world over...By about the age of 5,everybody on the planet knows red means stop....Everyday it gets worse and worse with people running reds.

People don't do this because they don't know any better.....

I don't really care what other people do,I stay the hell out the way....Maybe I'll get some free entertainment.

And if you do happen to get into an accident,don't stick around to see if you killed anyone....RUN!

Can't legislate morality....That's Mom/Dad's job.....

Last edited by Booger1; 08-21-14 at 02:04 PM.
Old 08-21-14, 01:35 PM

Bikes: NA

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by achoo
You "want different but equitable rights" by your definition and you proudly flout traffic laws, but expect others to "work to elect politicians".
Exactly. One of the best ways to undermine existing irrelevant laws is to...undermine them.

Why don't you "work to elect politicians"? Too speshul?
I don't need to. Local politicians here (with a few exceptions) don't give a damn about bike scofflaws.
Old 08-21-14, 02:35 PM

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Ah yes, the new "golden rule", do unto others before they do unto you because you're better then them.
Old 08-21-14, 03:22 PM

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Booger1
I don't really care what other people do (1),I stay the hell out the way....
Can't legislate morality (2)....
Maybe I'll get some free entertainment (3).

cognitive dissonance (1 and 2) and sadism (3). bravo.
Old 08-21-14, 03:26 PM

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by kickstart
Ah yes, the new "golden rule", do unto others before they do unto you because you're better then them.
exactly. what gives motorists the right to spew pollution and toxins into our shared environment while also injuring, maiming, and/or killing millions?
Old 08-21-14, 04:08 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
(1-2) Other people aren't your parents.....

(3) Sadist.... Yep,Mom had a weird sense of humor.....

You guys are funny......

Last edited by Booger1; 08-21-14 at 04:22 PM.
Old 08-21-14, 04:10 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by spare_wheel
exactly. what gives motorists the right to spew pollution and toxins into our shared environment while also injuring, maiming, and/or killing millions?
Says the sheltered naif who lives at the very top of a pyramid based on exploiting the environment.

But he rides a bike to work...
Old 08-21-14, 04:53 PM

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Booger1
(1-2) Other people aren't your parents.....
(3) Sadist.... Yep,Mom had a weird sense of humor.....
You guys are funny......
Old 08-21-14, 05:18 PM

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by mikeybikes
I had the same question and Googled it as well. All I got was some video game player.
EPAMD - Electric Personal Assistance Mobility Device
EPMAD - Electric Personal Assistance Mobility Device Mispeeled

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 08-21-14 at 05:24 PM.
Old 08-21-14, 08:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do think I'm above safety-irrelevant motorist-centric laws that are designed to inconvenience active transport users or shove active transport users out of "the way". Moreover, I routinely violate these laws and see virtually no evidence that anyone cares. I even routinely "run" lights right in front of the Portland Police Headquarters without any issue.

If you care about these laws you are free to move to Portland and work to elect politicians that will make jaybiking and jaywalking a law enforcement priority.

and fat chance.

I want different but equitable rights. Unfortunately many safety-irrelevant car-centric traffic statutes are a roadblock to this kind of equity.
How is a traffic light shoving you out of the way? Or how is it car-centric?

You're honest, but a fool nonetheless. You come off as a POS that drivers hate because you act like an entitled little ___ on the road. Just because you're being "environmentally friendly" doesn't mean you selectively follow the rules.

Oh and no, I'm not going to come to Portland because you can't follow the basic rules of the road.
Old 08-22-14, 12:29 AM

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by achoo
Says the sheltered naif who lives at the very top of a pyramid based on exploiting the environment.

But he rides a bike to work...
Evangelism and hypocrisy are usually bedfellows.

Be dependent on and enjoy all the advantages of society, then put a few affectations on display to feel morally superior.
Old 08-22-14, 05:34 AM

Bikes: 2014 Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill
EPAMD - Electric Personal Assistance Mobility Device
EPMAD - Electric Personal Assistance Mobility Device Mispeeled

-mr. bill
You misspelled misspelled.
Old 08-22-14, 05:40 AM

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by mrodgers
You misspelled misspelled.
Your observent.

-mr. bill
Old 08-22-14, 08:41 AM

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by JameB
How is a traffic light shoving you out of the way? Or how is it car-centric?

https://meggsreport.wordpress.com/201...appier-travel/

Why cyclists should be able to roll through stop signs and ride through red lights - Vox

Last edited by spare_wheel; 08-22-14 at 08:47 AM.
Old 08-22-14, 08:45 AM

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by kickstart
Be dependent on and enjoy all the advantages of society, then put a few affectations on display to feel morally superior.
Exactly. Billions of dollars spent subsidizing the global tragedy of the commons that is low occupancy personal vehicle use and motorists still complain about jaybiking.
Old 08-22-14, 09:09 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All of those reduced fatality rates can be explained by the fact that the state of ID is one of the least populated state in all of US. Its capital city has like 200K people living in it.... clearly the # of fatalities will be low because there will be so much free space for everyone.

Try doing something like this in New York or LA or any well populated cities, I guarantee you, the fatality rates will go up. Also, most of the reasons outlined to let the cyclists circumvent the law can be applied to cars too. Cars too can slow down and proceed through intersections, why not do that too eh? They too are capable of yielding instead of stopping, they too use up more energy when starting out from standstill. In fact, environmentally, we'd be better off if all cars were allowed to just go through intersections like that.

Or why don't we try what works in Antarctica? No roads, no traffic lights, no cops, nothing! It has lower crime rate than the US!
Old 08-22-14, 09:20 AM

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by JameB
All of those reduced fatality rates can be explained by the fact that the state of ID is one of the least populated state in all of US. Its capital city has like 200K people living in it.... clearly the # of fatalities will be low because there will be so much free space for everyone.
European Cities Allowing Bikes to Run Red Lights - WNYC
Old 08-22-14, 09:56 AM

Bikes: Canyon Endurace SLX 8Di2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 14 Posts
Exactly. Billions of dollars spent subsidizing the global tragedy of the commons that is low occupancy personal vehicle use and motorists still complain about jaybiking.
Tragedy of the commons refers to the overconsumption of free public goods, resulting the the decimation of that good. Good examples are the cod fisheries of the east coast of the US, or overgrazing for free i Montana back in the late 1800s. Single use autos are neither free, nor are they free to operate. I fail to see how you refer to them as a tragedy of the commons. I would argue that the subsidization of automobiles has been more than paid for by the advances to the general wellbeing, but there is no arguing with a sanctimonious zealot so I will not bother.
Old 08-22-14, 10:07 AM

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5849 Post(s)
Liked 2,681 Times in 1,495 Posts
To keep this on point, we need to separate the issue of "running" a red light from treating one like a stop sign. A bicyclist can easily tell (once stopped) whether there's cross traffic and proceed safely if not. Traffic signals are in place to streamline flow of auto traffic and bicyclists can easily slip through the cracks.

OTOH - "running" a red light without first stopping (or slowing to a near stop) to check for crossing traffic is a very different thing and can easily lead to an accident.

It's a matter of using some common sense and judgement, not one of moral superiority.

BTW- The :Idaho Law" would work just as well in NYC or anywhere if used as intended. Here in NYC police will cite cyclists who run reds with impunity, but ignore those who slow and cross when there's no cross traffic (motor or pedestrian). It's about right of way, and is no harm, no foul if nobody's right of way being violated.

BTW- every cyclist who proceeds through a clear intersection is one less vehicle that must cross later on when it might be busier. This actually helps when there's lots of turning traffic.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 08-22-14, 10:10 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In Europe, there are A LOT of people who bike everywhere; it is an accepted norm in the society to be on a bike on a road. In US, many people literally hate cyclists because they're riding on "their" roads. In that situation, the first step isn't to let cyclists run lights, it's to make bikes a normal thing to ride on a road.
Old 08-22-14, 10:10 AM

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX8, Caad10, Marin BearValley, WTP BMX, Norco Tandem

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Two things:

1.) It's EPAMD, not EPMAD. <---- (Edit, Mr bill beat me to it.)

2.) OP needs to go live in a cabin in the woods.

I agree 100% with FBinNY 's assessment of cycling through traffic signals in cities.

Last edited by timvan_78; 08-22-14 at 10:17 AM. Reason: mr bill already corrected the acronym
Old 08-22-14, 10:21 AM

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Billions of dollars spent subsidizing the global tragedy of the commons that is low occupancy personal vehicle use and motorists still complain about jaybiking.
Who in turn subsidize the ecocrits by providing their food, clothing, shelter, and energy which enables them to live like everyone else.... minus a few carefully selected discretionary items that fit their desires.
Old 08-22-14, 10:42 AM
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,544 Times in 1,051 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
To keep this on point, we need to separate the issue of "running" a red light from treating one like a stop sign. A bicyclist can easily tell (once stopped) whether there's cross traffic and proceed safely if not. Traffic signals are in place to streamline flow of auto traffic and bicyclists can easily slip through the cracks.

OTOH - "running" a red light without first stopping (or slowing to a near stop) to check for crossing traffic is a very different thing and can easily lead to an accident.

It's a matter of using some common sense and judgement, not one of moral superiority.

BTW- The :Idaho Law" would work just as well in NYC or anywhere if used as intended. Here in NYC police will cite cyclists who run reds with impunity, but ignore those who slow and cross when there's no cross traffic (motor or pedestrian). It's about right of way, and is no harm, no foul if nobody's right of way being violated.

BTW- every cyclist who proceeds through a clear intersection is one less vehicle that must cross later on when it might be busier. This actually helps when there's lots of turning traffic.
Almost correct. A bicyclist can often easily judge whether there's cross traffic and proceed safely at a clear (of traffic and visual obstruction)intersection without slowing down or stopping, and without regard to traffic signals or signs. Legally no, safely yes.
Old 08-22-14, 10:46 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by howsteepisit
Tragedy of the commons refers to the overconsumption of free public goods, resulting the the decimation of that good. Good examples are the cod fisheries of the east coast of the US, or overgrazing for free i Montana back in the late 1800s. Single use autos are neither free, nor are they free to operate. I fail to see how you refer to them as a tragedy of the commons. I would argue that the subsidization of automobiles has been more than paid for by the advances to the general wellbeing, but there is no arguing with a sanctimonious zealot so I will not bother.
And it's downright risible that someone who proudly breaks laws designed to keep everyone safe - for no other reason than his own personal advantage - invokes "tragedy of the commons" in the first place.

The "WHOOOSH!!!" is so bad I think MH370 is probably sitting under spare_wheel's bed.
Old 08-22-14, 10:47 AM

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5849 Post(s)
Liked 2,681 Times in 1,495 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Almost correct. A bicyclist can often easily judge whether there's cross traffic and proceed safely at a clear (of traffic and visual obstruction)intersection without slowing down or stopping, and without regard to traffic signals or signs. Legally no, safely yes.
More unnecessary hairsplitting.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.